Heathens - The DBT Thread

Great first impression on initial streaming listen earlier. Another worthy addition to the American Band-era DBT canon!
It'll likely be a bit before I get a physical copy (or 2 - I can see myself getting it on CD too since I have the rest on CD.)
Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to a few more listens while at work tomorrow.

Every Single Storied Flameout 🔥

Yeah, that one's grown on my something fierce!

I'm really loving the middle aged reminiscing vibes throughout this. Celebrating, honouring, looking back and laughing. Likely true for most of their fanbase given how long they've been at it, but I definitely feel myself vibe with it on a more personal level than the grimy southern tales I've come to love so much through the years. It feels like the new one and The Unraveling are both direct sequels to different aspects of American Band.

Yeah, that one's grown on my something fierce!

I'm really loving the middle aged reminiscing vibes throughout this. Celebrating, honouring, looking back and laughing. Likely true for most of their fanbase given how long they've been at it, but I definitely feel myself vibe with it on a more personal level than the grimy southern tales I've come to love so much through the years. It feels like the new one and The Unraveling are both direct sequels to different aspects of American Band.
Yeah, I really have learned to appreciate the musicians that have stuck around, recognize age, and sing about it. It's kind of like Neil Young for me too - I didn't get some of his albums at the time I listened to them, but when I reached the age he was when he wrote them, they just clicked. Nice to experience that in real time with the DBT.

Figured now that I've listened to the new one a dozen times I'd have a read through of a bunch of the reviews and interviews... this one is my favourite so far - some really great moments.

Figured now that I've listened to the new one a dozen times I'd have a read through of a bunch of the reviews and interviews... this one is my favourite so far - some really great moments.

"....you know, they always had their baseball caps on backward because they don’t know how to put ’em on correctly. They don’t know how to wear a fuckin’ baseball hat, so they probably don’t know how to fuckin’ vote. They’d rather look backward than forward."

Patterson and Cooley give the best interviews.

I haven't really listened to DBT but I love Isbell. So with that said how is the Live at the Shoals Theater show?

As someone who listened to Isbell before DBT. Drive by Truckers have quickly become one of my favorite bands. Nothing to not like about them. Hood and Cooley are great songwriters and have such distinct voices. They write songs about the American South about as well as anyone.

These lyrics on the new record especially destroy me.

"Now the days are getting shorter and the years are counting down
And the sun gets dizzy watching us as we go spinning around
I find it best to laugh at the absurdity of life above the ground
There's no comfort in survival
But it's still the best option that I've found"

Last edited:
I haven't really listened to DBT but I love Isbell. So with that said how is the Live at the Shoals Theater show?
Take everything you love about Isbell and the way he inhabits the characters of his songs and brings them to life, and add two more people that do the exact same thing - and taught him a lot about the craft. Then add in the importance of Alabama and the Shoals to each of them, and it makes for an incredible listen.

Last edited:

Brilliant

The concert, the setlist, the quality of the recording/pressing?

One of the best things in my collection. Everything is very well done.

Take everything you love about Isbell and the way he inhabits the characters of his songs and brings them to life, and add two more people that do the exact same thing - and taught him a lot about the craft. Then add in the importance of Alabama and the Shoals to each of them, and it makes for an incredible listen.

It's absolutely worth every cent and second! The music, the banter, the setlist, the packaging. Every single thing about it is great. Especially the coming back together of three intensely brilliant songwriters who have grown so much since their acrimonious split. I was elated when it was first released digitally and even more excited to get it on wax. If I had to purge nearly all of my Isbell & DBT records this would probably be the last to go. Can't recommend it enough.

I've long held strong to the opinion that all DBT albums are great driving albums, but it felt extra great today to be cruising 2+ hours north in an empty 5-ton truck with two co-workers while blasting "The Driver."

As usual, No Depression had a nice write up on Freed they’ve excepted from their journal on their site if you’re so inclined:

Back