Headphone advice

Not sure if this is a good place to post this, but either I am doing something wrong, or I think I have a problem with my headphone output on my receiver. I have an old Sony STR-V4 from the late 70’s. Anyway, I hardly ever play headphones through it but decided to today. When I went to play the record though, I noticed only sound coming out of one channel. My headphones are Koss brand from like 2010 or so. They have a mono and stereo switch though, and when I switch it to mono the signal comes out of both phones. So I tried another set of headphones and sound only comes out of one channel. So I am assuming there is something wrong with the headphone output. Just wondering if my headphone out is mono only? Or is there a channel burned out in my headphone output? I cannot make any noise come out of the right channel using the balance control on my receiver either when the phones are in stereo.

I am honestly thinking about just getting a dedicated amp regardless but wanted to play out of the receiver to just see how it sounded. Btw my speakers are 100% fine so this is just headphone related.

Not sure if this is a good place to post this, but either I am doing something wrong, or I think I have a problem with my headphone output on my receiver. I have an old Sony STR-V4 from the late 70’s. Anyway, I hardly ever play headphones through it but decided to today. When I went to play the record though, I noticed only sound coming out of one channel. My headphones are Koss brand from like 2010 or so. They have a mono and stereo switch though, and when I switch it to mono the signal comes out of both phones. So I tried another set of headphones and sound only comes out of one channel. So I am assuming there is something wrong with the headphone output. Just wondering if my headphone out is mono only? Or is there a channel burned out in my headphone output? I cannot make any noise come out of the right channel using the balance control on my receiver either when the phones are in stereo.

I am honestly thinking about just getting a dedicated amp regardless but wanted to play out of the receiver to just see how it sounded. Btw my speakers are 100% fine so this is just headphone related.
Something must be wrong. Might be worth checking that there isn't just a wire loose or disconnected right at the headphone jack. If for some bizarre reason the headphone jack was mono it would still come out of both channels. You can get a service manual off of hifiengine if you want.

Edit: quick glance at the schematic and I think
the only thing between your headphone jack and your output to the speaker channels is a couple resistors so it might be an easy fix.

Last edited:
Something must be wrong. Might be worth checking that there isn't just a wire loose or disconnected right at the headphone jack. If for some bizarre reason the headphone jack was mono it would still come out of both channels. You can get a service manual off of hifiengine if you want.

Edit: quick glance at the schematic and I think
the only thing between your headphone jack and your output to the speaker channels is a couple resistors so it might be an easy fix.
Yeah I took a look at it too. I know next to nothing about circuitry so I’m lost in that department haha! Might take it to my buddy and see what’s up. Either that or buy a headphone amp that will probably sound better anyway :ROFLMAO:

Well I think I have officially entered the headphone game at the moment. Since my headphone out lost a channel in my receiver, I have bought a Schiit Magni 3 amp, Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamics DT 800, 600 ohm version. I’m really enjoying the sound. By far the best headphones I’ve had and the amp is performing as it should. It’s interesting comparing the two headphones. I really can’t make up my mind and I will have to listen to more music using each. The BDs are super accurate, a little bright and the HD600 seems to be much less clinical. I honestly might keep both.

At any rate, is it normal to have to turn the volume up to about 3 o clock to get decent volume using the BDs? 1 o clock is loud but sufficient for the 600’s. I have the amp hooked up to my tape out in the back of my receiver. I can honestly turn the volume all the way up and it isn’t pleasant listening but not unbearable either.

Unless a BD expert says otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about the exact position of the volume knob. It's normal for different headphones to have different efficiencies and thus different volume settings. It's also not unheard of for headphone amplifiers to need higher volume to get a good sound.

Well I think I have officially entered the headphone game at the moment. Since my headphone out lost a channel in my receiver, I have bought a Schiit Magni 3 amp, Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamics DT 800, 600 ohm version. I’m really enjoying the sound. By far the best headphones I’ve had and the amp is performing as it should. It’s interesting comparing the two headphones. I really can’t make up my mind and I will have to listen to more music using each. The BDs are super accurate, a little bright and the HD600 seems to be much less clinical. I honestly might keep both.

At any rate, is it normal to have to turn the volume up to about 3 o clock to get decent volume using the BDs? 1 o clock is loud but sufficient for the 600’s. I have the amp hooked up to my tape out in the back of my receiver. I can honestly turn the volume all the way up and it isn’t pleasant listening but not unbearable either.

Hi @mitchwagz,

Have you tried switching to the "hi" gain on the back of your Magni 3? You should also probably turn your volume down before flipping the switch. :)

Hope that does it!

-Thomas

Unless a BD expert says otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about the exact position of the volume knob. It's normal for different headphones to have different efficiencies and thus different volume settings. It's also not unheard of for headphone amplifiers to need higher volume to get a good sound.
Yeah I’m not worried. There’s still some headroom and no distortion so I’m sure it’s fine.

So I bought a Schitt Magni 3 and I just want to be sure I have this hooked up correctly. I have the tape out on the Nad connected to the out on the schitt and listening through the NAD’s headphone jack.The thing is, if it is correct then I’m disappointed in the Magni performance :( . I’m using Senn 600’s.
I bought the Schitt specifically to boost headphone performance whilst spinning records. Thoughts would be appreciated.

So I bought a Schitt Magni 3 and I just want to be sure I have this hooked up correctly. I have the tape out on the Nad connected to the out on the schitt and listening through the NAD’s headphone jack.The thing is, if it is correct then I’m disappointed in the Magni performance :( . I’m using Senn 600’s.
I bought the Schitt specifically to boost headphone performance whilst spinning records. Thoughts would be appreciated.
No, tape out on NAD to IN on Magni. Headphones to headphone jack on Magni.

Back