Headphone advice

I'm debating getting a headphone setup for late night record listening so I don't bother my family while they sleep. However, I don't even know where to start and what type of extras I will need. I want them to sound really good, but at the same time, I'm a woodworker and my hearing is not perfect by any means. I miss out on some higher range sound. My budget would be $300-$500.
TT is AudioTechnica LP 120 that I ripped the usb card/preamp out of. I use a Schitt Audio Mani preamp and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR676.

I recently got a "free" pair of Sony wh-1000xm3 (worst name for a tech product ever maybe) with my new Sony Xperia 1. I believe it goes for $300 new. I really love it, but it's a wireless, noise canceling headphone (it does come with an aux cable). So I'm not sure whether it is exactly what you are looking for.

I'm debating getting a headphone setup for late night record listening so I don't bother my family while they sleep. However, I don't even know where to start and what type of extras I will need. I want them to sound really good, but at the same time, I'm a woodworker and my hearing is not perfect by any means. I miss out on some higher range sound. My budget would be $300-$500.
TT is AudioTechnica LP 120 that I ripped the usb card/preamp out of. I use a Schitt Audio Mani preamp and my receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR676.
I think a lot of people use the Audio Technica M-50s. I had a pair of M-30s for a really long time that I liked. They also had a 14' cable, which was perfect for plugging into my receiver and being able to sit on the couch. I will likely get a pair of M-50s soon to replace my old ones.

I recently got a "free" pair of Sony wh-1000xm3 (worst name for a tech product ever maybe) with my new Sony Xperia 1. I believe it goes for $300 new. I really love it, but it's a wireless, noise canceling headphone (it does come with an aux cable). So I'm not sure whether it is exactly what you are looking for.
These are pretty great, though the included aux cable is only like two-feet long. (You can also turn off the noise cancelling. I don't use it when plugged in to my phone or laptop.)

If you're interested in a little DIY, you can do a Bottlehead Crack plus a Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx for about the top end of your range, especially if you get the Crack on sale. I'm very happy with the combo (I have the HD650). You'd get to use your woodworking skills as well if you want on the base.

Edit: I think you just missed the Crack Sale so it would push you over a bit. I'm not sure if they do them more than once a year these days.

So Massdrop (er, now just Drop I guess) recently had a deal on the Sennheiser HD6xx and the Sony wh-1000xm3 in a bundle. They should be here next week sometime. Can't wait.
I keep wanting to pull the trigger on the Bottlehead Crack. But I haven't yet because I'm still unsure of the why. Is there seriously that mich difference in sound than if I just plug the Sennheisers into my Onkyo receiver? Can someone quantify this for me? What will I be missing?

So Massdrop (er, now just Drop I guess) recently had a deal on the Sennheiser HD6xx and the Sony wh-1000xm3 in a bundle. They should be here next week sometime. Can't wait.
I keep wanting to pull the trigger on the Bottlehead Crack. But I haven't yet because I'm still unsure of the why. Is there seriously that mich difference in sound than if I just plug the Sennheisers into my Onkyo receiver? Can someone quantify this for me? What will I be missing?
First off, great choice jumping on that deal. I strongly considered it just because it was such a good price for the two headphones.

As for the amps, comparing a dedicated tube headphone amp vs a headphone input on an Onkyo receiver should be really significant. I haven't owned either, but I've head/heard enough combos of stuff to really feel confident about this advice. The first thing I noticed when going from a receiver to a dedicated headphone amp was much better dynamics, and sense of space. With your choice of a tube amp, I would expect a much more dense and enjoyable midrange, and a significantly more refined top end. You might also have to more impactful bass coming from the 6xx specifically.

Honestly if anyone A/B tested an Onkyo receiver headphone jack vs a decent dedicated tube headphone amp while using the 6xx, and they preferred the Onkyo, I would be shocked.

The Sennheiser's are notorious for needing some good well matched amplification to really sound their best, especially in the bass department, so you should be able to tell a big difference with them. They are a favorite of Crack owners. If you end up going with something else, I would suggest doing some research to find an amp that is known to work well with them.

I kind of want to just find one already built, as finding free time for something like this is tough right now. Anyone see any problems with this one?
That's an amazing price already assembled, and that concerns me. Ha

I kind of want to just find one already built, as finding free time for something like this is tough right now. Anyone see any problems with this one?
If it really is professionally assembled then I don't see a reason that there would be anything wrong with it. I think a lot of people interested in them want to DIY so maybe there isn't huge resale value for the assembly portion?

It really doesn't take very long to put together if that has anything to do with your decision. Should be pretty easy to do over a few weeknights or a lazy Sunday. If you'd have to buy decent soldering equipment and a multimeter, etc. and don't want to make that investment, then I understand.

Used gear always has some risk. Used DIY has some pros and cons. Con being it might not be well built. Pro being it should be very fixable if needed and the mfg can likely walk you through that.

But if you want something built, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t get something from a more traditional company. Maybe a dark voice.

That's a very good point
The Crack is thought to perform well above it's price point (it should since you have to build it yourself) but I'd say if you are willing to consider a used crack, it is definitely worth it to check out used traditional commercial amps as well.

I looked at other items the guy selling the Crack had listed and they all look nice and clean. I decided to go ahead and buy the used one from him. No other tube amp gets as rave reviews as the bottlehead in all that I have read. Can't wait to listen to all of this! Going to be a long week or 2 before everything has arrived.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

I looked at other items the guy selling the Crack had listed and they all look nice and clean. I decided to go ahead and buy the used one from him. No other tube amp gets as rave reviews as the bottlehead in all that I have read. Can't wait to listen to all of this! Going to be a long week or 2 before everything has arrived.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
Nice! If you ever get the DIY itch down the road you can always order a Speedball upgrade.

The amp arrived last week. The Sennheisers arrived today. Now I'm wanting to sit here and just listen to all of my records again...20190926_201527.jpg

Going to make a nicer box for the Bottlehead at some point. Maybe tear it down and put some finish on the bare metal surfaces at that point too.

Really enjoying getting lost in music right now

The amp arrived last week. The Sennheisers arrived today. Now I'm wanting to sit here and just listen to all of my records again...View attachment 18154

Going to make a nicer box for the Bottlehead at some point. Maybe tear it down and put some finish on the bare metal surfaces at that point too.

Really enjoying getting lost in music right now
Crack-Up :love:

So, I just plugged my Senny's into my headphone jack on my NAD for the 1st time in forever and was like wth!, this sounds like shit. Am I right in saying I need a headphone amp now? And this plugs I to the NAD?
Background, I've upgraded various components since last plugging them in for music and the difference between the phones and speakers is hugely noticeable.

So, I just plugged my Senny's into my headphone jack on my NAD for the 1st time in forever and was like wth!, this sounds like shit. Am I right in saying I need a headphone amp now? And this plugs I to the NAD?
Background, I've upgraded various components since last plugging them in for music and the difference between the phones and speakers is hugely noticeable.
You might have to check some specs depending on the headphone amp but I think you should be able to go from your phono pre to the headphone amp. Otherwise the line out of your NAD to the headphone amp.

Does the Nad have a fixed-volume line out? Or a tape loop? Either of those will let you keep your input selection at least and let you control the volume on the headphones and speakers independently.

Back