Guitar Players Thread

<drummer enters guitar thread>
Sorry! But I wanted to share this video. I've been to Sweetwater recently but wasn't able to go into the distribution center. Holy hell.
And I'm really impressed with the care taken to check the guitars out before shipping.

Has anyone ever repaired a broken pot on a pedal before? I’ve got this Boss Chorus pedal that sustained some damage and I’m trying to figure out what to do next. I emailed Boss and they said they don't ship parts to end users anymore but offered to repair it at their standard rates (which with shipping will probably cost more than a new pedal). I think there is a local repair shop I can try but I feel like this is something I can do myself provided I can find the right parts. Anyone have any tips?

View attachment 169550
I did it! I was able to remove the old pot and solder on a new one. I still need to pick up some knobs that fit and for some reason the light on this isn’t going on while on battery, but we are all systems go!

Thanks for the help and words of advice @The Baby's New Diaper and @yukbon

Gots me a buzzy high e; google says it’s an uneven fret (exacerbated by warm weather) and YouTube says I can do it at home with sandpaper.

In your estimations, is this an easy at-home fix, or best left to the professionals?

Gots me a buzzy high e; google says it’s an uneven fret (exacerbated by warm weather) and YouTube says I can do it at home with sandpaper.

In your estimations, is this an easy at-home fix, or best left to the professionals?
Eh..where is it buzzy? When you play it open, when play certain frets and which ones?

Is it electric or acoustic?

I can walk you through a basic electric set up and I would most certainly do things like check neck curve (truss), string height, pickup height, intonation before I sand anything.

Are you 100% sure it's not the nut? That exact same thing happened to a guitar of mine a few years ago, a tiny bit of filing it out took care of the problem.

If it IS a fret... And I would think twice if you haven't done this... I actually fixed one a few years ago. The neck was straight, intonation was perfect, action was as desired, just one protruding sonofagun. I folded a towel, laid it on the fret, and hit it a few times with a hammer.

I don't readily recommend doing this unless you are super confident with your setup assessments, which can be learned easily, and you have diagnostic experience.

A slightly less invasive method would be to put a dehumidifier in the room with the guitar, but that is assuming you keep it on the stand and not in a case.

Are you 100% sure it's not the nut? That exact same thing happened to a guitar of mine a few years ago, a tiny bit of filing it out took care of the problem.

If it IS a fret... And I would think twice if you haven't done this... I actually fixed one a few years ago. The neck was straight, intonation was perfect, action was as desired, just one protruding sonofagun. I folded a towel, laid it on the fret, and hit it a few times with a hammer.

I don't readily recommend doing this unless you are super confident with your setup assessments, which can be learned easily, and you have diagnostic experience.

A slightly less invasive method would be to put a dehumidifier in the room with the guitar, but that is assuming you keep it on the stand and not in a case.
Oh yea the nut is another culprit I forgot. I also had a guitar (low E) where the nut was the offender years back. I had gone up from 10-46 to 10-52 and the nut just wasn't comfortable for that 52.

Fret buzz can be one of three things (or a combination):

1. you have a shitty nut or bridge (this is most common if it's an open string or one of the first 3 or 4 frets)
2. you have a shitty fret
3. you have a shitty setup, specifically your truss rod needs adjusting. This is the most common and also the easiest to fix yourself.

might be edifying

Eh..where is it buzzy? When you play it open, when play certain frets and which ones?

Is it electric or acoustic?

I can walk you through a basic electric set up and I would most certainly do things like check neck curve (truss), string height, pickup height, intonation before I sand anything.

Acoustic, I’m fairly sure it’s the fret as the string (and the g and the b on really warm days) buzzes open, then increasingly at each fret until it plays clean at the fourth fret.

You might as well just have them do a full setup. It's usually not that expensive.
this is the answer (also it's worth learning how to do a setup, but it is definitely a time consuming thing)

this is the answer (also it's worth learning how to do a setup, but it is definitely a time consuming thing)
I've tried doing it myself but I decided I also want it done right :LOL: .

In the past I've just taken any new guitar I got to get professionally setup and then adjusted myself as I went along.

Took it into the place where I bought it; guy fixed it up in five minutes, said he gave the neck some relief. No charge!

He did ask why I have it tuned down to d-sharp though. No clue that was going on.

Took it into the place where I bought it; guy fixed it up in five minutes, said he gave the neck some relief. No charge!
That's good. I always leave Truss rod adjustments to people who know what they're doing. Of all the setup steps, it's the one that could most permanently damage your guitar.

He did ask why I have it tuned down to d-sharp though. No clue that was going on.
a lot of folks do that Eb tuning, particularly if they can't sing high or play a lot of "alternative"/grunge stuff

Back