Guitar Players Thread

I was playing along with the new frisell album Valentine. Man that title track you can play almost any note and is sounds good. Makes me feel like I know what I’m doing.
Ooh I'm going to try that out tonight!

Treating myself to an acoustic guitar for my birthday next month, and went into a local store to try out what they had.

I had a Martin in mind; I tried their Road Series 10E and really enjoyed it. Of the guitars they had, it was probably the one I was listening to the most, and I found myself just playing scales to hear different tones on it. The body’s larger than I’m used to, and that gave me pause.

I also enjoyed two Taylor guitars, their Academy series and their gs mini. I liked both, mainly finding the highs brighter and the lows heavier. Nice sounds, but maybe less we’ll rounded than the Martin.

Going to do some reading on each and sleep on it, but I’m curious if anyone’s encountered these guitars or what general thoughts/preferences y’all have on tone.

Treating myself to an acoustic guitar for my birthday next month, and went into a local store to try out what they had.

I had a Martin in mind; I tried their Road Series 10E and really enjoyed it. Of the guitars they had, it was probably the one I was listening to the most, and I found myself just playing scales to hear different tones on it. The body’s larger than I’m used to, and that gave me pause.

I also enjoyed two Taylor guitars, their Academy series and their gs mini. I liked both, mainly finding the highs brighter and the lows heavier. Nice sounds, but maybe less we’ll rounded than the Martin.

Going to do some reading on each and sleep on it, but I’m curious if anyone’s encountered these guitars or what general thoughts/preferences y’all have on tone.
Nice! I'm not very familiar with Martin models so don't know which one you mean. Is it a dreadnought? A smaller body sapele guitar, something else?

I've had a GS Mini mahogany for about a year and a half now. I play it every day. Taylors have always played the best to me and it's extremely comfortable. It's definitely a smaller guitar in terms of sound but I play mostly lighter fingerpicking anyway, so the mellower tone is perfect to me. I've also played the spruce top GS Mini and enjoyed it. Not sure how tall you are. I'm 6'2", and I wish the Mini was a little bigger sometimes. My next acoustic will probably be a concert size, but I'll definitely keep this one forever. Do you know which model you played?

The right guitar will find you! If you enjoyed the sound and feel of the Martin, that's probably a good sign, but it never hurts to play as many as you can!

Nice! I'm not very familiar with Martin models so don't know which one you mean. Is it a dreadnought? A smaller body sapele guitar, something else?

I've had a GS Mini mahogany for about a year and a half now. I play it every day. Taylors have always played the best to me and it's extremely comfortable. It's definitely a smaller guitar in terms of sound but I play mostly lighter fingerpicking anyway, so the mellower tone is perfect to me. I've also played the spruce top GS Mini and enjoyed it. Not sure how tall you are. I'm 6'2", and I wish the Mini was a little bigger sometimes. My next acoustic will probably be a concert size, but I'll definitely keep this one forever. Do you know which model you played?

The right guitar will find you! If you enjoyed the sound and feel of the Martin, that's probably a good sign, but it never hurts to play as many as you can!
Yup, the Road Series is a dreadnought model; they have a lighter sitka style and a darker sapele, which I think I'd go with as it stands out agains typical acoustics. For the Taylor, I think I tried the mahogany and the spruce tops. I don't recall which model appealed to me more; at a certain point all the sounds started to bleed together.

After a couple nights mulling it over, I'm leaning towards the Martin; it's a solid-body guitar, and it sounds like those age a bit better. Also, though a minor feature that doesn't affect playability, I really like how the Martin's tuner and level knobs are all mounted in the sound hole, leaving the outer guitar really clean and simple. I'll probably bring someone with me when I go to buy, so we can try out the Taylors again just to be sure, though.

I did feel a little proud trying them out in the store the other day; some might recall my posts in 2020/2021 prior to buying my electric, and my trepidation at seeming out of my element in the shop. This time around, the clerk made some suggestions, but then left me on my own, only stopping by to check in and say I seemed super low maintenance, and the way I was just drilling in and playing small passaged then swapping guitars to see how they compared was "the right way."

Yup, the Road Series is a dreadnought model; they have a lighter sitka style and a darker sapele, which I think I'd go with as it stands out agains typical acoustics. For the Taylor, I think I tried the mahogany and the spruce tops. I don't recall which model appealed to me more; at a certain point all the sounds started to bleed together.

After a couple nights mulling it over, I'm leaning towards the Martin; it's a solid-body guitar, and it sounds like those age a bit better. Also, though a minor feature that doesn't affect playability, I really like how the Martin's tuner and level knobs are all mounted in the sound hole, leaving the outer guitar really clean and simple. I'll probably bring someone with me when I go to buy, so we can try out the Taylors again just to be sure, though.

I did feel a little proud trying them out in the store the other day; some might recall my posts in 2020/2021 prior to buying my electric, and my trepidation at seeming out of my element in the shop. This time around, the clerk made some suggestions, but then left me on my own, only stopping by to check in and say I seemed super low maintenance, and the way I was just drilling in and playing small passaged then swapping guitars to see how they compared was "the right way."
That's great! It definitely takes a while to feel comfortable enough fiddling around in a shop with strangers nearby.

If you're not sure about the dreadnought shape/size, it looks like they also make this model: 000-10E | Road Series | Martin Guitar. I believe 000s are a bit smaller than dreadnoughts, though I haven't played one. The solid-wood construction is definitely a plus — you'll just need to be a little more mindful of humidity, etc. I love spruce tops (my first acoustic, a dreadnought, is spruce) but I also love the look (and sound) of mahogany/sapele tops.

Another difference in the Martins and the GS Minis is the fingerboard width. GS Minis are 1-11/16" while the Martins are 1-3/4". Doesn't seem like a huge difference but most find the larger size more comfortable/spacious for fingerpicking at least.

So, this morning I was here:

PXL_20220628_143644369.jpg

What started life as a Fender 66RI had a floral pickguard and Antiquity II's. The behind-the-bridge pickup had it's own volume knob so it could be rolled in.

Here's where this afternoon finds me:

PXL_20220628_180832952.jpg

Custom cut pickguard from Terrapin.
Gold foils from Mojo Pickups.
Rewired so both neck and bridge work on both rhythm and lead circuits, as opposed to just neck on the rhythm circuit.
Mini switch to choose between main circuit main + BTB, or BTB only. (BTB volume controlled by third knob.)

I am in love with this.

So, this morning I was here:

View attachment 144143

What started life as a Fender 66RI had a floral pickguard and Antiquity II's. The behind-the-bridge pickup had it's own volume knob so it could be rolled in.

Here's where this afternoon finds me:

View attachment 144144

Custom cut pickguard from Terrapin.
Gold foils from Mojo Pickups.
Rewired so both neck and bridge work on both rhythm and lead circuits, as opposed to just neck on the rhythm circuit.
Mini switch to choose between main circuit main + BTB, or BTB only. (BTB volume controlled by third knob.)

I am in love with this.
LOVE the upgrade! Love the OG too!!!!!

What kind of pedalboards does everyone use? I'm looking to upgrade to a much larger pedalboard than I currently have, which fits about 6 Boss-sized pedals. I've got about 15-18 to mount, mainly that size or EHX size, but several larger (BOSS RE-20, whammy pedal, zvex fuzz probe). I'm looking at Holeyboards, but I'm not sure about the cable tie mounting compared to hook and latch.

What kind of pedalboards does everyone use? I'm looking to upgrade to a much larger pedalboard than I currently have, which fits about 6 Boss-sized pedals. I've got about 15-18 to mount, mainly that size or EHX size, but several larger (BOSS RE-20, whammy pedal, zvex fuzz probe). I'm looking at Holeyboards, but I'm not sure about the cable tie mounting compared to hook and latch.
I just bought some cheap one off Amazon that's maybe slightly bigger than a pedaltrain classic. I don't do any gigging or anything so I just wanted something to get them organized and that I could mount a power source under.

I just bought some cheap one off Amazon that's maybe slightly bigger than a pedaltrain classic. I don't do any gigging or anything so I just wanted something to get them organized and that I could mount a power source under.
I'm planning on getting back into playing out eventually, so I'm trying to find something fairly sturdy.

IMG_2315.jpg

Mine is a flight case, I forget if it is 18x30 or 18x36.
I ended up gluing Velcro to the floor to give the pedals as much stability as possible, and also glued foam to the inside of the upper lid for that reason.
(Forgive the mess of this photo, it was taken when I was trying to figure out how to Tetris them all in before I did the gluing.)

Easily going to be my main guitar for a WHILE.
Started life as a Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster. Here's where it's at now:

1. Jaguar on/off slider switches for each pickup
2. 12-Pole Humbucker pickup in bridge by The Creamery, with on/on/on switch for series/south-coil/parallel (to the side of the sliders)
3. Middle and behind-the-bridge pickups made by Dan at DGN Custom Guitars
4. JM-HC Argyle pickup in neck by Curtis Novak, with on/on/on switch for series/north-coil/parallel (located nest to the paddle switch for rhythm/lead circuit switching)
5. Black on/on/on switch located in the controls gives three options: main circuit, main circuit + behind-the-bridge, behind-the-bridge only.
6. Pickguard cut to custom tracing by Quickguards.

And, if you're wondering, the three knobs are volume and tone for main circuit, plus a third volume knob to control the behind the bridge pickup.

PXL_20220716_190508630.jpg

I love it :)

Easily going to be my main guitar for a WHILE.
Started life as a Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster. Here's where it's at now:

1. Jaguar on/off slider switches for each pickup
2. 12-Pole Humbucker pickup in bridge by The Creamery, with on/on/on switch for series/south-coil/parallel (to the side of the sliders)
3. Middle and behind-the-bridge pickups made by Dan at DGN Custom Guitars
4. JM-HC Argyle pickup in neck by Curtis Novak, with on/on/on switch for series/north-coil/parallel (located nest to the paddle switch for rhythm/lead circuit switching)
5. Black on/on/on switch located in the controls gives three options: main circuit, main circuit + behind-the-bridge, behind-the-bridge only.
6. Pickguard cut to custom tracing by Quickguards.

And, if you're wondering, the three knobs are volume and tone for main circuit, plus a third volume knob to control the behind the bridge pickup.

View attachment 146130

I love it :)

oh i dig that behind-the-bridge thing, it's like Cliff Burton's Rickenbacker -- he put a guitar pickup behind the bridge on it. love that pickguard too

I'm looking to upgrade to a better amp in the next few months. I'm currently using the same Fender Hot Rod Deville that I've had since 2000, which has been useful, but is a bit too big, heavy, and loud. I'm looking for something slightly smaller, with a different sound than a Fender amp.

The brands I'm currently perusing are Carr, Tone King, and Magnatone. Anyone on here have experience with any of these?

I'm looking to upgrade to a better amp in the next few months. I'm currently using the same Fender Hot Rod Deville that I've had since 2000, which has been useful, but is a bit too big, heavy, and loud. I'm looking for something slightly smaller, with a different sound than a Fender amp.

The brands I'm currently perusing are Carr, Tone King, and Magnatone. Anyone on here have experience with any of these?
Oh you have good taste. I'm not familiar w Magnatone but both Carr and Tone King are well regarded.

In fact, a Tone King Sky King is my next buy.

Oh you have good taste. I'm not familiar w Magnatone but both Carr and Tone King are well regarded.

In fact, a Tone King Sky King is my next buy.
I've got a Sweetwater cart open with a Tone King Imperial MkII in my cart (along with strap locks for the Goldie and a Red Panda Particle) but I need to wait a while before pulling the trigger on a purchase like that, especially since I haven't been playing out of the house much. I bought one of those orange micro amps for traveling, and I actually used that for a couple open mics (sounds pretty good when it's mic'd.) Looking at the specs for the Imperial, it seems slightly smaller and much lighter than my Deville. Watched some videos and it looks pretty fun.

I hear a lot of awesome things about the Sky King in my gear lust sessions, as well.

Back