Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Agreed, that's really why I went ahead and filled the "holes" to put together a second system with the main prerequisite being a TT with detachable head shell :)

Hahaha! That is absolutely not happening here, no room! New speakers eventually is absolutely the last piece I’m after for a long time, certainly as long as I’m an apartment dweller!

There’s this for those who who want to run a Grado on their Rega. No experience, but Hagerman is reputable.

New guy to the forum here. Recently ordered a Grado Gold 3 and really looking forward to its arrival. Currently running a Grado Green and loving it, but excited in the upgrade.

New to the world of Grado carts (though I've been in the lp world for 40 years) and hoping the Gold will be a good match for my Micro Seiki DD33.

Mmm...what would be a good first album to play on the new cart? Will give it some thought.

Happy to be here and have loved the conversion. Hope everyone is playing it safe.

Gary

New guy to the forum here. Recently ordered a Grado Gold 3 and really looking forward to its arrival. Currently running a Grado Green and loving it, but excited in the upgrade.

New to the world of Grado carts (though I've been in the lp world for 40 years) and hoping the Gold will be a good match for my Micro Seiki DD33.

Mmm...what would be a good first album to play on the new cart? Will give it some thought.

Happy to be here and have loved the conversion. Hope everyone is playing it safe.

Gary
Congrats! The Gold is great!

Which album? The first 3 that come to mind are Crosby Stills & Nash, Pink Floyd, and Andrea Bocelli.

Thats the one thing with not having a detachable headshell, no interest there, doing a full cart install between records isn’t my idea of fun 😂
That’s why you need a second tone arm! When I went to Japan a few years ago, found a tiny whiskey bar where the owner was obsessed with early American jazz music. Behind the bar was floor to ceiling shelving full of records. He had a crazy vinyl setup and was rocking two tone arms which I had never seen before l but I asked and it was because he had one mono cart and one stereo cart.

That’s why you need a second tone arm! When I went to Japan a few years ago, found a tiny whiskey bar where the owner was obsessed with early American jazz music. Behind the bar was floor to ceiling shelving full of records. He had a crazy vinyl setup and was rocking two tone arms which I had never seen before l but I asked and it was because he had one mono cart and one stereo cart.

The joys of having a nice, but not expensive, turntable, nowhere to mount a second tonearm! Oh well I’ll just have to make do as i am...

Whilst that sure sounds like a cool ambiance, musically it sounds like my description of hell 😂

The joys of having a nice, but not expensive, turntable, nowhere to mount a second tonearm! Oh well I’ll just have to make do as i am...

Whilst that sure sounds like a cool ambiance, musically it sounds like my description of hell 😂
I forgot how much you dislike jazz haha. It was awesome for me though! The guy had SO much amazing music.

I forgot how much you dislike jazz haha. It was awesome for me though! The guy had SO much amazing music.

Haha! Glad you enjoyed it! It’s funny it’s really more that its not my thing, there are pieces that I’ve heard that transcend the genre but I’d still rather listen to something else. A jazz club/bar would be tough though lol!

Haha! Glad you enjoyed it! It’s funny it’s really more that its not my thing, there are pieces that I’ve heard that transcend the genre but I’d still rather listen to something else. A jazz club/bar would be tough though lol!
I'm no Jazz aficionado, but I have my fair share I enjoy, my wife on the other hand walks in and literally tells me she would rather gouge her eyes out with a fork than listen to Jazz, lol.

I'm no Jazz aficionado, but I have my fair share I enjoy, my wife on the other hand walks in and literally tells me she would rather gouge her eyes out with a fork than listen to Jazz, lol.

I’m somewhere in between in that I can appreciate it without liking it so much! I do find that jazz fans can be pretty damn insistent so I may over blow my dislike on parts of the forum as defence mechanism...

...apart from that Donald Byrd record, I’m really sorry and I know it’s highly regarded but god did that rub me up in the wrong way!

I’m somewhere in between in that I can appreciate it without liking it so much! I do find that jazz fans can be pretty damn insistent so I may over blow my dislike on parts of the forum as defence mechanism...

...apart from that Donald Byrd record, I’m really sorry and I know it’s highly regarded but god did that rub me up in the wrong way!
Ya, I don't know where I am, I'm more I listen and if I like it, its all good. I started off strong because I think I just grabbed the "right" albums, then came Ascension and I realized there's "acclaimed" Jazz that's just not for me :)

That's a big part of what took me so long to actually like jazz...it's the most fickle fan base and can be the most pretentious community of a hobby that can already be really pretentious haha. There's also just SO much of it, so many subgenres, even artist catalogues like Coltrane's and Miles' are so vast and different from album to album where you might really dislike one (like @AnthonyI with Ascension) but then love another of his albums. I find it kind of fascinating to follow the breadcrumbs in jazz. Shades of Blue by Madlib got me interested in jazz, then I just looked at who worked on which songs and tracked music that way--I like the drumming on this song...that drummer also worked with this other artist on a different album...etc. I know you can do that with other genres of music too but session musicians feels more prominent in jazz.

If I am ever your secret Santa I will find a jazz album of Pink Floyd songs.

So, I'm back with a bit of an update. I received my Grado Gold 3 a few days ago and I am also lucky to be off from work for a few days, so I got a chance to sit with this cart.

After too much thinking about which album to play first I settled on a Japanese pressing of Snow Goose by Camel and then followed up with Crimson's Lizard (Wilson Remix). My first thoughts were how detailed this cart is, revealing so much out of the box. After listening to other recordings it became clear that this is not a cart/sound I am used to. First, it is well refined, having to push the volume a little more than normal. Many of the carts I have been with in the past push the mids and overall volume, making many recordings less detailed in the dynamics, as with the Gold it has great highs and lows, that leave the volume levels to the recording itself. An extremely natural and wide stereo sounding cart.

I am still getting used to it as it gives a very different dynamic to my rock lp's. Refined, is the word. Is it too refined for UFO or am I not refined enough? Looking forward to how the cart and my ears open up to this wonderfully strange cart called the Gold.

Please share any of your thoughts on the Gold with different recordings and/or genres. Tracking about 1.75, with about 1/3 anti skate. Thanks for listening!

Gary

So, I'm back with a bit of an update. I received my Grado Gold 3 a few days ago and I am also lucky to be off from work for a few days, so I got a chance to sit with this cart.

After too much thinking about which album to play first I settled on a Japanese pressing of Snow Goose by Camel and then followed up with Crimson's Lizard (Wilson Remix). My first thoughts were how detailed this cart is, revealing so much out of the box. After listening to other recordings it became clear that this is not a cart/sound I am used to. First, it is well refined, having to push the volume a little more than normal. Many of the carts I have been with in the past push the mids and overall volume, making many recordings less detailed in the dynamics, as with the Gold it has great highs and lows, that leave the volume levels to the recording itself. An extremely natural and wide stereo sounding cart.

I am still getting used to it as it gives a very different dynamic to my rock lp's. Refined, is the word. Is it too refined for UFO or am I not refined enough? Looking forward to how the cart and my ears open up to this wonderfully strange cart called the Gold.

Please share any of your thoughts on the Gold with different recordings and/or genres. Tracking about 1.75, with about 1/3 anti skate. Thanks for listening!

Gary

Give it about 30 hours to settle in. I bet you’ll like it even better.

I think it plays well with just about everything. Of course, better recordings really shine.

Hmmm, just saw that I received an email from Grado promoting their headphone boxes with this at the end:
"Guess the secret word and save $50
Follow the clues to guess the secret word. On checkout, enter your guess as the coupon code in ALLCAPS with no spaces. If you're the first one to get it right $50 will come off your order. If it doesn't, you either guessed wrong or somebody else beat you to it."
CLUE #1
CLUE #2

I put some Hemps in a cart and entered my guess, but got this message: "The coupon entered can be used one time only and has already been redeemed." :(

Last edited:
Hmmm, just saw that I received an email from Grado promoting their headphone boxes with this at the end:
"Guess the secret word and save $50
Follow the clues to guess the secret word. On checkout, enter your guess as the coupon code in ALLCAPS with no spaces. If you're the first one to get it right $50 will come off your order. If it doesn't, you either guessed wrong or somebody else beat you to it."
CLUE #1
CLUE #2

I put some Hemps in a cart and entered my guess, but got this message: "The coupon entered can be used one time only and has already been redeemed." :(
Well done.

Back