Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Hello everyone, just joined up. I am looking for some advice from Grado users here and @RichGrado I have a VPI Scout Jr I just picked up with non uni pivot arm. I was thinking about going the Black 3 route to start, then 8MZ upgrade down the line, but does this table deserve some saving up for an Opus ? Smooth, warm midrange, big center vocal, and solid bass are my priorities.

Hello everyone, just joined up. I am looking for some advice from Grado users here and @RichGrado I have a VPI Scout Jr I just picked up with non uni pivot arm. I was thinking about going the Black 3 route to start, then 8MZ upgrade down the line, but does this table deserve some saving up for an Opus ? Smooth, warm midrange, big center vocal, and solid bass are my priorities.
Welcome! I’m spinning a Cliffwood. It’s got the VPI/Grado Green collab that I put an 8mz on, and I love it with the upgraded stylus. I am definitely considering the Opus when it’s time for a new stylus, but unfortunately can’t comment on it as I don’t have experience with it. @Joe Mac is running an Opus on his Pro-Ject, and I’m pretty sure he had a Gold 2 before that if I’m not mistaken, he speaks very highly of the jump to the Opus, but hopefully he can chime in and give you more of a takeaway. @AnthonyI is running an Opus as well on his Ultradeck, but I don’t think he’s run an 8mz.

Welcome! I’m spinning a Cliffwood. It’s got the VPI/Grado Green collab that I put an 8mz on, and I love it with the upgraded stylus. I am definitely considering the Opus when it’s time for a new stylus, but unfortunately can’t comment on it as I don’t have experience with it. @Joe Mac is running an Opus on his Pro-Ject, and I’m pretty sure he had a Gold 2 before that if I’m not mistaken, he speaks very highly of the jump to the Opus, but hopefully he can chime in and give you more of a takeaway. @AnthonyI is running an Opus as well on his Ultradeck, but I don’t think he’s run an 8mz.
I've had the Grado Black and Gold v2 with an 8MZ on it, I currently have the Gold v3 on my PLX and had, as of not too long ago, the Opus3 on my UltraDeck. These have all been systematically better than the previous.

Right now I would give the Opus3 the green light as my favorite and only shuffling in the Gold v3 if you want something with a user replaceable stylus and or go the 8MZ upgrade. All the Grado's will cover your "priorities" in my opinion ;)

I've had the Grado Black and Gold v2 with an 8MZ on it, I currently have the Gold v3 on my PLX and had, as of not too long ago, the Opus3 on my UltraDeck. These have all been systematically better than the previous.

Right now I would give the Opus3 the green light as my favorite and only shuffling in the Gold v3 if you want something with a user replaceable stylus and or go the 8MZ upgrade. All the Grado's will cover your "priorities" in my opinion ;)
You are a cartridge encyclopedia, my friend!

I agree with this. Except for the Gold3, haven’t heard that one yet.

.............all this while taking notes on the Denon too by the way, lol

I’ll be interested to hear what you have to say because it would be an understatement to say that I’ve never heard a ho hum opinion on it, it polarises, people seem to either love it or hate it!

Last edited:
I’ll be interested to here what you have to say because it would be an understatement to say that I’ve never heard a ho hum opinion on it, it polarises, people seem to either love it or hate it!
I have some notes together @Joe Mac, I was going to finish them off and the Linton's showed up, I'll say this, it's reputation is well deserved.

Hi everyone and Happy New Year. Its been a while, crazy year as we all know, but I wanted to check back in. I see the question about the stylus guard, I would suggest you email the service team and request one, that email address is inquiries.gl@gradolabs.com

I would also like to suggest that if you have something you need to ask please email me, I am struggling to keep up with all of the threads and social media action. My email is rgrado@gradolabs.com.

I will help you with anything I can but realize there are limits...

Has anyone been able to compare or have any thoughts on Gold3 vs Opus3 ? And also how the Opus wood body compares to older wooden body cartridges like the Platinum, and Platinum Sonata which I have heard in the past ? Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to compare or have any thoughts on Gold3 vs Opus3 ? And also how the Opus wood body compares to older wooden body cartridges like the Platinum, and Platinum Sonata which I have heard in the past ? Thanks
@HiFi Guy shared the below a page back

Here’s a really well written review/comparison between the Gold3 and Opus3.

Thanks for your reply, how would you say the Gold/RP differ ?
The Gold3 has deeper/tighter bass. A tad better clarity overall than the RP2. Also it has a user replaceable stylus that the woodies lack.

I have no doubt that the V3 woodies are better. When I went from the Gold2 to the RP2 low output, the RP2 was very slightly better.

The Gold3 has deeper/tighter bass. A tad better clarity overall than the RP2. Also it has a user replaceable stylus that the woodies lack.

I have no doubt that the V3 woodies are better. When I went from the Gold2 to the RP2 low output, the RP2 was very slightly better.

Thanks for your description, It is interesting because it would mostly describe what I remember when going from the old Platinum to the Sonata.

Still not sure which way to go though hehehe

Thanks for your description, It is interesting because it would mostly describe what I remember when going from the old Platinum to the Sonata.

Still not sure which way to go though hehehe
The Gold3 is really nice, especially for $260. Keep in mind you can increase performance when the stylus is worn by getting an 8MZ stylus.

Now that I’m going on 11 months with a Grado, half of that with an 8MZ, one thing I’ve really enjoyed is how earnest it is to the pressing. It will give you everything the record allows. There are definitely some lackluster pressings where I’d prefer something a little less revealing, but on the good ones, damn is it a satisfying listen.

Back