Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

After more then a week of using the Grado Gold3 on my turntable I have to say that I really love it's sound. However..... I had the opportunity a few times this week to crank up the volume with the whole family being out the house despite lockdown, and then the humming gets to a point where it really starts to get annoying on quieter records 😞

And just today a friend spoke of a hifi and audio dealer friend of his, who is selling 2 demonstration devices in 2-3 weeks, both without cartridge, basically new, for a real good price to friends only... a Project Debut Carbon Evo and a Rega Planar 3 newest model.

Now I'm even at the point of thinking to exchange my turntable while keeping the Grado using parts of the christmas bonus. Are those 2 models known to hum with the Grado Gold2/3 ?

After more then a week of using the Grado Gold3 on my turntable I have to say that I really love it's sound. However..... I had the opportunity a few times this week to crank up the volume with the whole family being out the house despite lockdown, and then the humming gets to a point where it really starts to get annoying on quieter records 😞

And just today a friend spoke of a hifi and audio dealer friend of his, who is selling 2 demonstration devices in 2-3 weeks, both without cartridge, basically new, for a real good price to friends only... a Project Debut Carbon Evo and a Rega Planar 3 newest model.

Now I'm even at the point of thinking to exchange my turntable while keeping the Grado using parts of the christmas bonus. Are those 2 models known to hum with the Grado Gold2/3 ?

Ouch! It’s not supposed to hum on any of the carbons according to the spreadsheet. The evo is too new to have been tested yet. The spreadsheet is basically users keeping it updated based on their own tests! In my experience it doesn’t hum with my expirit sb. Grado carts don’t work with rega turntables I’m afraid ☹️

If I had to bet, I’d bet the new Pro-Ject will work. Any possibility of getting it with a money back guarantee?

How can I get a stylus guard for my Grado Blue? I can't seem to find the one that it came with and given recent events I might want to start using it.

Ouch! It’s not supposed to hum on any of the carbons according to the spreadsheet. The evo is too new to have been tested yet. The spreadsheet is basically users keeping it updated based on their own tests! In my experience it doesn’t hum with my expirit sb. Grado carts don’t work with rega turntables I’m afraid ☹️
If I had to bet, I’d bet the new Pro-Ject will work. Any possibility of getting it with a money back guarantee?

The spreadsheet mentions the Debut 3 and the Debut Carbon, I have the Debut Carbon Esprit DC, which has a different motor and platter. For now I have to live with it... both turntables are already sold, I was too slow... Thanks guys!

The spreadsheet mentions the Debut 3 and the Debut Carbon, I have the Debut Carbon Esprit DC, which has a different motor and platter. For now I have to live with it... both turntables are already sold, I was too slow... Thanks guys!

The esprit is the Carbon, but with an acrylic platter. The acrylic platter isn’t going change hum either way. I have the Esprit SB, for example, with no hum.

The time for replacing my stylus is approaching. I'm currently using a Gold2, should I just replace it or should I upgrade to a Gold3 cart?
Thanks!

The time for replacing my stylus is approaching. I'm currently using a Gold2, should I just replace it or should I upgrade to a Gold3 cart?
Thanks!
There's a definite improvement in the Gold3, so if you're staying with the Grado it's $260 for a v3 or $150 on a 8MZ stylus....which is also an improvement ;)

Thanks!

I had the Gold2 and the 8mz stylus is a big upgrade. That said the heads here prefer the Gold3 to the Gold2 so it should be a jump either way! Personally, in your place, I’d be tempted to get the Gold3 this year and upgrade its stylus to the 8mz next year. Or just Opus3 it 😉😂

There's a definite improvement in the Gold3, so if you're staying with the Grado it's $260 for a v3 or $150 on a 8MZ stylus....which is also an improvement ;)

I had the Gold2 and the 8mz stylus is a big upgrade. That said the heads here prefer the Gold3 to the Gold2 so it should be a jump either way! Personally, in your place, I’d be tempted to get the Gold3 this year and upgrade its stylus to the 8mz next year. Or just Opus3 it 😉😂

Thanks!
I can't get the 8mz over here and getting a Gold3 cart is about 100 dollars more than getting just the Gold2 stylus.

Here’s a really well written review/comparison between the Gold3 and Opus3.

I would say that's petty spot on and brings up what many of us say concerning the other components in the system. Well written :)

This was such an excellent read, thanks for sharing! Super helpful that the reviewer went in depth on where they stand with a 2M Blue and the AT 95 series. Very informative, and now I’m even more interested in an Opus3!

Yeah that confirmed pretty much what I was hearing on both the 2M blue once I got better gear and what in now think of the opus3! Very well written!

Back