Fresh Grabs

Not sure I'd call any of these "fresh" but they are the latest in my collection...

TOnaFlc.jpg

Whenever I'm visiting Florida, I make a point to stop by Bananas Records in St. Pete and spend the afternoon digging through their two bajillion records they have out for sale. I built up my collection about 10 years ago when I lived there and would regularly hit up their $2.99 room was filled with bands like The Cars, Huey Lewis, Heart, etc. It's... not quite that good a selection these days, but I can still find some decent stuff cheaper than I would find back home in Virginia.

Speaking of Heart, that copy of Magazine is the OG version released without the band's approval that was eventually recalled. It didn't come from the $2.99 room but was still only five bucks.

And on the topic of forbidden music, two of those three Erroll Garner records were released without his consent during his lawsuit against Columbia Records. After he won his lawsuit, the albums were recalled, never to be released again. There are probably about two dozen people out there who care about those albums, but I count myself among them so am happy to finally have them in my unnecessarily large collection of Erroll.

Lastly, that coverless Blue Note is Lou Donaldson's Alligator Bogaloo. The record is in great shape... just missing that cover!

Edit: I forgot to include Ahmad Jamal's "But Not For Me" in the pic, Just pretend there's another random 60-year-old jazz record and you're all set.

Last edited:
Super jealous. I keep eyeing it. Please let me know if it's worth getting because there are a couple on my whale list that have never had good pressings in this.
Which albums are you looking for? I listened to the Gavin Bryars and there’s bad distortion on it. But spun Harold Budd and it’s beautiful. Gonna clean the rest and spin this week then check in about replacements.

Also the box is nice but the LP jackets are thin and disappointing…

Which albums are you looking for? I listened to the Gavin Bryars and there’s bad distortion on it. But spun Harold Budd and it’s beautiful. Gonna clean the rest and spin this week then check in about replacements.

Also the box is nice but the LP jackets are thin and disappointing…
I read that about the jackets on discogs. I'm mostly wanting Penguin Cafe, but also Decay Music. But what's been done of both is not great.

I read that about the jackets on discogs. I'm mostly wanting Penguin Cafe, but also Decay Music. But what's been done of both is not great.
I’ll give those a spin tomorrow. Have Harold Budd on now listening with headphones and it’s pretty great. Hoping the Gavin Bryars is just a one off pressing error.

It’s been a busy week of receiving international shipments.

First up are four from Record City Japan. It’s my favorite shop for ’digging’ for off-the-beaten-path jazz records, which are defined for me as artists and/or titles I either have never heard of or, for artists, I am aware of only as periphery players. Also discovered I somehow don’t own a copy of Gaucho, so added a Japanese first pressing as well.

Terumasa Hino - Into the Heaven
Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal
Bill Crow - Jazz Anecdotes
Steely Dan - Gaucho

View attachment 181146

After waiting weeks to finally place that previous order at Record City, the very next day I saw their new listing for a Beatles comp I’d never heard of. Looks really interesting to me and the price was right. (Glad I sprung for it because it’s basically as-new as far as I can tell.) Threw in the Elvis record because I couldn’t bear to pay shipping for just one title.

The Beatles - From Liverpool (8LP box)
Elvis Costello - Trust

View attachment 181145

Also just received a package from jpc.

Super Furry Animals - Radiator (20th Anniversary Edition)
Laura Groves - Radio Red

View attachment 181144
How did you end up liking that Beatles boxset? Is it worth grabbing?

How did you end up liking that Beatles boxset? Is it worth grabbing?
For the money, I think it's a pretty nice set. It's housed in a very sturdy clamshell box that's hinged at the top with all contents printed inside the box top. Two full-size paper booklets, one with lyrics in Japanese and a few photos, the second with lyrics in both Japanese and English with quite a few more photos than the first booklet (all black-and-white matte on paper). 8 LP's each housed in cardstock sleeves with large, colorful photos on their front sides and track listings on their backsides. And it's a rather exhaustive anthology that sounds pretty good. No downside I can see.

EDIT: Just saw this in a comment on discogs. I hadn't been aware of these unique elements of the set.

Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 10.02.46 PM.png

Last edited:
Toad the Wet Sprocket - All You Want (bonus edition)

View attachment 193822
The latest addition to my TTWS collection. This album features a number of songs never released on vinyl as well as reworking of early Toad songs. Limited to 1,000 - I'd recommend grabbing a copy soon if interested as I imagine it'll sell out soon.
I see the CD but no vinyl, am I looking in the wrong place?

Oh man, it must have sold out! Here's a link to the page:

And the upc: XZLPTW08

Maybe they'll put more up that are unnumbered?

Back in stock @Melt Face Molly Drop

Back