Fresh Grabs

Sahib Shihab And The Danish Radio Jazz Group - S/T (Oktav, 2023 Sam Records Limited Pressing)
The Heath Brothers - Paris ’76 (Sam Records, 2023 Limited Pressing)
Donald Byrd & Bobby Jaspar - Paris '58 (Sam Records, 2023 Limited Pressing)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Olympia Concert (Fontana, 2022 Sam Records Limited Pressing)

My Sam Records order arrived today and im so excited to dig in. Im fortunate enough to have all of the Sam Records LP's to date (minus their Artisan series releases) but typically wait for 4-5 to be released before ordering from France. With the release of Sahib Shihab And The Danish Radio Jazz Group I knew I had to order or run the risk of missing out. It's a highly collectible record that was only ever previously released on vinyl in its original format or a Japanese repress, neither of which really come up for sale too often. The original averages for £2,800 so the fact that Fred at Sam Records has reissued this at a much more affordable price is fantastic! This is my weekend listening ready!!!

IMG_7449.JPG

Postal worker just dropped this off at my door in the rain. Seasick winter sale. Took a couple weeks to ship, but grabbed these five for $100. Felt like a deal.

Bill Evans Trio - Live at the Village Vanguard (OJC)

Willie Colon and Hector Lavoe - El Juicio
Willie Colon - Crime Pays

Drive-by Truckers - Welcome to Club XIII (Seasick Exclusive)

Queens of the Stone Age - In Times New Roman (Silver wax)

IMG20240109124954.jpg

Sonny Stitt - Kaleidoscope (Prestige/Esquire, 1961 First UK Pressing)
Tiny Grimes With Coleman Hawkins - Blues Groove (Prestige/Esquire, 1958 First UK Pressing)
Don Rendell Five - Set 2 (Spotlite, 1979 First Pressing)
Kurt Edelhagen And His Band - Kurt Edelhagen Presents (Polydor, 1957 First Pressing)
Ronnie Scott Quintet - Great Scott / All The Things You Are (Esquire, 1953 First 10" Pressing)

Well, this was a great day. After ordering a record online before Christmas it was unexpectedly cancelled without explanation. It was Don Rendell's "Set 2" which was the last of his albums that I was missing as lead musician. Incredibly, after putting the "want" on Instagram I had a message from someone to say that they had a spare copy, and here it is! I was also fortunate to "win" a few affordable Esquire pressings of Prestige albums and a fantastic 10". Finally, I was in my local charity shop rifling through the bins and came across the Kurt Edelhagen release (for £1), which I initially thought was classical music but actually has an incredible line-up of musicians including Jimmy Deuchar, Milo Pavlovic, Derek Humble and more!

IMG_7621.JPG

obi. Oboy! Nice looking haul.
thanks...entirely counteracted by the fact that I bounced my cart when adjusting vta the other day and im pretty sure the cantelever is f"d...also im trying not to buy records. at all. any more. ever. but its hard not to support ogawa-san, even tho these are now 4600Yen...the Evans is noisy, vinyl is perfect looking, and im having a whinge....happy new year :)

Labyrinth: British Jazz On Record 1960-75 by Richard Morton Jack (Lansdowne Books, 2024)

Well, this is exciting. For a few years I have had the idea to collate all of my British jazz records into a book, but as I still have a few "big hitters" that I am after I decided to wait. However, during this time Richard Jack Morton decided to cut out the middleman by reaching out online to people who might have these rare records and collating these himself into his own book. It's an incredible tombstone-sized book that captures over 500 records, some reviews from the time of release, and a general overview. Funnily enough, I recently went on facebook messenger for the first time in years and saw an unread message from Richard asking for scans of my copy of Michael Garrick's "A Jazz Cantata". The first 100 orders of the book came with a fantastic bonus replica poster advertising Michael Garrick's "Cold Mountain".

IMG_7869.JPGIMG_7875.JPGIMG_7868.JPG

Last edited:
Back