Fitness!

Holy shit, y'all. I've been working towards a world record deadlift for about 7 years now. The lift itself is just a piece of the picture, though.

First I have to qualify for a national stage which I am scheduled to do this August. I got the qualification in the bag in that my regular day to day lifting capability is already in that total territory. Still, gotta show up and do the thing. Nice that that "thing" will net me 3 new state records.

However, all along my big worry has been the geographical location of the national stage which changes annually. For the past few years it's been in worrisome locations like Vancouver, California, etc. Worrisome because peak performance requires peak recovery and readiness which things like air travel and strange hotels tend to wear thin. Just found out next year's drug tested national is in Atlanta, GA. Not only is that a relatively short drive but I have huge familiarity with the city so stress levels should be pretty low.

My only real concern at this point is the fact that peaking out for August is effectively lost training time that won't really begin until September. So only 9 months to bulk out my deadlift to immortal destroyer levels which is a pretty big ask at this stage of the game when adding 5lbs can be a matter of 6-8 weeks of work. I honestly don't know if I can do it but I do know I will try.

It would help if the other guy with the current record quit pushing it higher ever few months. I actually plan to pull in August what the record was when I first set my eyes on it. Unfortunately it's up about 25lbs since. Last I checked it's in the 580lb territory. I do think that guy ages out this year so he might push it a little more but he goes to another age class very soon. I had originally intended to do a full power meet but I am considering doing a deadlift only meet so that I can work a program that focuses solely on deadlift at the expense of other lifts.

My gym is doing fitness challenges all week and instructors there were asked to pick 3 people to recognize from their classes. My Zumba instructor nominated me because I'm always there (lol), and I am a good sport when the class is full and go up to the front, and I'm pretty good with the steps (thank you years and years of dance classes). Anyway, I got a t-shirt and my picture is supposed to be put on the billboard in the club.

@nolalady encouraged @sarcasticfairyprincess to come join us getting in the groove, which reminded me- there is not an active challenge/hours board deal this month, correct?

Yeah, I let the monthly challenges die because the MMR app is messed up and whenever I do a monthly challenge it's initially listed as 2 months, but then starts back over when the second month starts. It's doing some weird stuff like that, and it was set up to be recurring monthly and that doesn't work either. I can see if I can set them up in a different way and start setting them up again if everyone's interested? I could do one for May, and start a new one in June. @everyone, let me know your thoughts!

Yeah, I let the monthly challenges die because the MMR app is messed up and whenever I do a monthly challenge it's initially listed as 2 months, but then starts back over when the second month starts. It's doing some weird stuff like that, and it was set up to be recurring monthly and that doesn't work either. I can see if I can set them up in a different way and start setting them up again if everyone's interested? I could do one for May, and start a new one in June. @everyone, let me know your thoughts!
My issue with the MMR was that I was going to have to put an app on my very old iphone. I need to get a new one, I'm just holding out, for IDK, the price to go down, lol?? But anyway, the challenges were fun even though @debianlinux wins every time.

Second week back at five a side football after a year of the pitches being closed. Made it through by staying in goal as long is possible. Occasional sprints. On the plus side I was pretty unfit last time I played, but it’s amazing how much of a base level of fitness that even just attempting to play football once a week for an hour can provide.

I went hillwalking a couple of weeks ago, first time I’d done a Munro in 6 months. Felt like my legs had been filled with concrete but I wasn’t the only struggler out there.

Really finding it hard to motivate myself into more regular exercise, and frankly the diet I need to go on.

Id be up for that - Im pretty reliably a 4-5 good work outs per week.
Nice to add another dimension to things - Random strava likes or Garmin buddies is a bit dull.

Hiiiiiii. I somehow didn't know this thread existed. Catch me up, y'all. What's the plan/what are we doing?

Alright everyone, since there seemed to still be interest in the monthly challenges, I brought them back! Anyone who has participated before has been invited. Anyone who I don't think has (those I quoted?) let me know you want to join and I'll get you added. The first month is a pain because you'll have to send me a dm with your email address so I can add you as a friend, then once we're friends I can invite you to the challenge. After that it's pretty simple though!

Let's get back to it! Good luck everyone!

And @sarcasticfairyprincess helped me realize I'm an idiot and missed the important first step to joining if you haven't previously, signing up for MMR haha. Sorry about that! If you're new to the challenges, we run them through MapMyRun.com. You will first need to create an account on that site, then provide me with your email so I can add you as a friend and to the challenge.

If you currently use a different app to track your activities, many can be synced with MMR so you don't have to manually input them so be sure to sync your accounts.

Alright guys, the challenge is really lacking this month. Everyone join and message me if you haven't been involved before!

A friendly reminder that MMR's website doesn't seem to like these challenges so if you're looking for info or trying to accept the invitation, it's probably best to use the app. In general, if you can't find or do something on either the web or the app, try the other.

Need to motivate for a few outdoor runs - loving that gym has reopened steam & Sauna rooms tho - @ByersVinylikesmotivation

ive also returned from hols half a stone heavier 😮- Gonana post on here a bit to keep weight target fresh in my mind.
Currently mixing in a lot of exercise and 5:2 diet - it’s hard !

Feeling a lot better, third workout this week and that half a stone has vanished, I was secretly hoping a good portion of that weight was temporary week long gluttony that could be quickly undone !

Today i was a lot like Thor on a Rowing machine 💪💪. 😂. Beast mode.

For the time of the fitness challenges, I've always just used my runs (which are the only thing I track with MapMyRun), but my new watch automatically keeps track of things like how long I was out on walks. I might add those in just to mess with the rankings this time... 🤔

For the time of the fitness challenges, I've always just used my runs (which are the only thing I track with MapMyRun), but my new watch automatically keeps track of things like how long I was out on walks. I might add those in just to mess with the rankings this time... 🤔
last month, I got in a great routine while we didn't have an active challenge. this month, I've been starting new jobs, helping my parents, and moving and not logging any standard workouts 😞

considering moving alone in the Texas heat has left me drenched in sweat and waking up sore, I'm fixing to clock this entire weekend as a gym session ha

Great job in June everyone! Here are the final standings from the challenge. Congrats to @ByersVinyl for edging out @debianlinux by 37.5 minutes and collecting his first challenge win!

1. @ByersVinyl - 29:47:31 🏆
2. @debianlinux - 29:10:00
3. @Kris - 13:03:49
4. @LeSamourai - 10:58:30
5. @RowBearToe - 7:35:00
6. @bfly - 5:39:27
7. @trickyseven - 2:40:27
8 @Corycm & @nolalady - 0 time logged

The July challenge is up and everyone who has entered a challenge before has been invited. Be sure to accept the invitation and join in on the fun! If you haven't entered a challenge before and want to join please let me know and we'll get you set up! Stay hydrated out there in the summer heat!

Back