Fitness!

Peloton bike arrived today if anyone’s about that life (or just the app). My username is maurerkl. Accepting any and all recommendations
Power Zone classes are where it's at for me! I'd do the cycling basics program if you're new to spinning, and after that Discover Your Power Zones to see if you like that structure. I'm a fan because I don't risk accidentally stumbling into a class that's either way easier or way harder than I was looking for...and the Power Zone Pack is a huge side community that has really good training programs and challenges, which helps keep me on track by just giving me a schedule of specific classes to do throughout the week. I can talk your ear off more about it if you're interested but for now I'll leave it at that.

Another rec: keep an ear open for any friends who mention that they want one, and give them your referral code, because they'll get $100 off, and you'll get $100 to spend in the merch store. I got at least $1000 in store credits just from friends who bought bikes in the past year. And their apparel is pretty high quality stuff if you're okay with them throwing a Peloton logo onto all of it.

Also hellheathnofury is me, I added you!

Last edited:
My wife drug me along to her kickboxing class today. It wrecked me. I’m too old, fat, and sedentary and I’m not happy about it.
I got my husband in the gym a couple years ago around when we both turned 40. He mainly lifts, but he'll do yoga with me too. He says that getting into the gym helped him a lot with his back. He says that the best thing he's done for himself since turning 40 was to get more fit--it also helps when trying to keep up with kids.

My wife drug me along to her kickboxing class today. It wrecked me. I’m too old, fat, and sedentary and I’m not happy about it.
Update:
I’m in pain. I need some liniment and ibuprofen stat! Also, I wish I was home more so I could go to that class regularly.

Update:
I’m in pain. I need some liniment and ibuprofen stat! Also, I wish I was home more so I could go to that class regularly.
You nailed it. Unless you're actually injured, the best remedy for soreness is more activity. Sometimes I think half the reason I get up and do it every day is just to stave off the soreness in the event that I were to slack and try again later.

You nailed it. Unless you're actually injured, the best remedy for soreness is more activity. Sometimes I think half the reason I get up and do it every day is just to stave off the soreness in the event that I were to slack and try again later.
Oh man this is true. Went from weights and rowing almost daily to full stop and dear lord, by the second week of nothing the soreness and stiffness was terrible.

When you do intensive exercising is it normal for your weight to increase?

I had not done much from November through early March, maybe light stationary biking 30-45 minutes per day. Recently I've gotten back into the swing of things running 3 miles a day. For most of last year I was doing that 4-5 times per week. Since I've started again this month, i've already gained 3 pounds and I'm not sure why. My diet hasn't changed significantly compared to last year or the winter months. If anything I've been eating slightly healthier. Does this normally happen? Like you need to go up a little bit for it to go down?

When you do intensive exercising is it normal for your weight to increase?

I had not done much from November through early March, maybe light stationary biking 30-45 minutes per day. Recently I've gotten back into the swing of things running 3 miles a day. For most of last year I was doing that 4-5 times per week. Since I've started again this month, i've already gained 3 pounds and I'm not sure why. My diet hasn't changed significantly compared to last year or the winter months. If anything I've been eating slightly healthier. Does this normally happen? Like you need to go up a little bit for it to go down?
It's 3 lbs which could be explained either way by body fluctuations (water weight, etc.), but it could be that you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat because it's denser. Eventually, that muscle will pay off because it needs more nutrients so it will start to eat up your fat reserves, but when you start, sometimes you can gain a bit of weight by gaining muscle.

It's 3 lbs which could be explained either way by body fluctuations (water weight, etc.), but it could be that you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat because it's denser. Eventually, that muscle will pay off because it needs more nutrients so it will start to eat up your fat reserves, but when you start, sometimes you can gain a bit of weight by gaining muscle.
Yup. Water is my guess. 3lbs of muscle in a month is a lot, even if you were crushing weights.

Just ate it a half mile into today's run... I was able to limp home with some cuts on my hands, a skinned knee, and a cracked phone screen... but the real question will be tomorrow morning when I discover how bruised I am. Hopefully I'm back running in a day or two! 😬

Ouch. Hopefully you feel better soon. At least you didn't fall like I did last year. Dislocated my shoulder, broke my arm. It's still not fully healed.

After next week I am moving to a peaking program to prep for a competition in August. I should be doing shorter workouts less frequently but I will be incorporating more yoga and cardio on the off days so I am unsure what the net effect on my time logged will be. Before it was pretty much a static amount of time for a given month depending on which days of my program fell on that month.

81745E38-852A-4F24-8061-5C9C83F1A936.jpeg

Sunday morning in flyover county central USA. 1st bike ride of the year. 25miles but felt like 50. Twice the workout in half the time.

Been doing light jogging. The change up worked the legs in a whole new way. Time to spin some vinyl guilt free.

Back