Fitness!

Amazon product ASIN B09NHR4NX7
This smart scale is only $49.99 after a $30 coupon. I just bought it. I have never had a scale at home but I figured it was time to finally get one. I really want to try to lose about 30 pounds in hopes I can get my blood pressure down and no longer need to take medication. Who knows if that will happen though, pretty sure it's genetic but I can only hope and try. This scale syncs with Apple Health so I should be able to track my progress easily enough.

I bought AirPod pros to go with my iPhone 15 Pro Max and have gotten into a routine of listening to an album while using the elliptical each day during my lunch break. So averaging 40 minutes to an hour everyday.

Amazon product ASIN B09NHR4NX7
This smart scale is only $49.99 after a $30 coupon. I just bought it. I have never had a scale at home but I figured it was time to finally get one. I really want to try to lose about 30 pounds in hopes I can get my blood pressure down and no longer need to take medication. Who knows if that will happen though, pretty sure it's genetic but I can only hope and try. This scale syncs with Apple Health so I should be able to track my progress easily enough.

I bought AirPod pros to go with my iPhone 15 Pro Max and have gotten into a routine of listening to an album while using the elliptical each day during my lunch break. So averaging 40 minutes to an hour everyday.

Good luck!! What is your goal weight?

Y’all…send help, I can’t move…I have done things…things that I initially consented to only to realize in the midst of doing them, that I had no idea what I was really consenting to…this was all @debianlinux ’s fault…he had me do Bulgarian split squats…

Maybe saying that I wanted to work out with him was a mistake. I nearly squatted his weight tonight until I fell down, but I successfully squatted 155 lbs tonight.

Y’all…send help, I can’t move…I have done things…things that I initially consented to only to realize in the midst of doing them, that I had no idea what I was really consenting to…this was all @debianlinux ’s fault…he had me do Bulgarian split squats…

Maybe saying that I wanted to work out with him was a mistake. I nearly squatted his weight tonight until I fell down, but I successfully squatted 155 lbs tonight.

Stupid split squats

@nolalady and her family are stuffing me for Christmas this year. Oyster dressing, gumbo, sweet potato casserole and pork sausage. The latter is not my usual breakfast before hitting the gym. Do something different, get different results. Today's results were vomiting breakfast down the side of the rental van outside her parent's neighborhood.

@nolalady and her family are stuffing me for Christmas this year. Oyster dressing, gumbo, sweet potato casserole and pork sausage. The latter is not my usual breakfast before hitting the gym. Do something different, get different results. Today's results were vomiting breakfast down the side of the rental van outside her parent's neighborhood.
I pushed him too far, I guess. 😝

2024 (Mid-Life Crisis) Fitness Goals:

1 - Boston Marathon Qualifying Time (Sub 3:20)
2 - Backyard Ultra: 16+ laps
3 - Bench Press: Currently 135 x 8, but would like to get back to my body weight (185, although trying to get to 175 to help with goals 1 & 2).

Let’s go!
Good news, bad news, good news on #3. Body weight bench press for males is generally easily obtained especially if you've accomplished it before. If you're hitting 135x8 you're practically already there. If you mean hitting 185x8 that's a different story. That would equate to about a 225x1 press and is easily an upper limit for most people. The confounding issue you present is that you are also trying to drop 10lbs in body weight. It's well established fact that the very best way to increase your bench is to put on body weight. Unlike running, shedding pounds will actively hurt your bench. Still, for your body weight either 185x1 or 185x8 are achievable goals. The former is already within reach and with appropriate training you could have very soon. The latter is well within the realm of achievable but you are setting yourself up for a long year to get it under the circumstances of both losing weight and putting so much energy into antagonistic goals.

Good news, bad news, good news on #3. Body weight bench press for males is generally easily obtained especially if you've accomplished it before. If you're hitting 135x8 you're practically already there. If you mean hitting 185x8 that's a different story. That would equate to about a 225x1 press and is easily an upper limit for most people. The confounding issue you present is that you are also trying to drop 10lbs in body weight. It's well established fact that the very best way to increase your bench is to put on body weight. Unlike running, shedding pounds will actively hurt your bench. Still, for your body weight either 185x1 or 185x8 are achievable goals. The former is already within reach and with appropriate training you could have very soon. The latter is well within the realm of achievable but you are setting yourself up for a long year to get it under the circumstances of both losing weight and putting so much energy into antagonistic goals.
Haha. Thanks. Yeah, as you (and my fancy new personal trainer) have said increasing my bench press is a little at odds with the other goals, especially dropping weight, but I’ll see if I can thread that needle. I haven’t spent much time in a weight room since playing rugby in university, and never with a trainer, so that’s been fun the past few weeks. Especially since running outside is cold AF at the moment.

So I think I now feel comfortable calling myself a runner? After starting this journey last year, it's been incredibly slow going. Had to stop a number of different times last year (heat, injury, covid). But towards the end I picked it back up to prepare for my first running 5K at Disney World in January. It went incredibly well. I mean, it was hard (didn't properly train myself for it), but it was so much fun. Part of that is just how well organized and electric the whole layout and atmosphere is, but honestly just the act of doing it felt amazing.

So I did another 5K in February. I bought some new Hokas, tried pushing myself a little bit more, but stalled out with some bad weather. The race though... I improved my time little bit, but it felt significantly harder to finish. It went okay, but I felt worse. Yet still the experience itself was nice. After that, I really started running as much as possible. Since last year, I've relied on an app called None To Run - where the idea is week by week it'll take reduce your walking intervals and increase your running ones. I haven't been totally on track with that, but I have been trying to increase my runs as much as possible.

Which led me to last Saturday. My third 5K. This time I was going at it alone and I wanted to push myself even harder. I had my best time yet, but didn't meet my goal. I won't say it as I know it's still pretty slow compared to most runners. I placed almost halfway in the entire roster of runners - maybe a little worse than halfway. But I wasn't near the very end! The amount of effort I put into it just made me so ready to start truly running for real. Again...I am still very much new at this compared to many many many other people.

After resting for too many days (had pretty sore calves after the race), I ran my first full run -no walking- today. And it didn't feel that bad. I ditched None To Run and tried out the Nike Run Club app (which is free). The first run was an easy run, just 20 minutes of slow paced running. Once I finished that with a pretty horrible mile pace, I decided to just keep going for another 10 minutes or so. I found a good pace, which was still pretty slow, and just pushed. And now as I sit here, I feel pretty great. I think now today I feel like somewhat of a runner. The issue, though, that I was having pre and post recent 5K was comparing myself to everyone else. I got down into that, realizing just how not great I am. But I tried hard to push it all away and just run for fun and to get back to it. And it feels good. I finally feel like maybe I am actually getting better at this. And it only took 14 months.

I do see that my time keeps decreasing, so the goal now is to run a virtual 5K this weekend (proceeds going to the Georgia Aquarium) and then just keep going week by week, increasing as much as I can. The next full on, in person 5K for me will be early May. By that point I should hopefully have at least the time I want down - or close to it. And after this? I don't know yet. I'd like to go up to a 10K by the fall, if I can find some in the area. I'd say eventually the longer term goal is a half marathon, but I am nowhere close to that yet. I don't see myself ever wanting to do a full though.

So, runners, what do you usually do on your runs? I am just curious to know. Do you use an app? Do you run long distances, or do you run for time? How frequently?

Jeez this post wound up being incredibly too long. TLDR, I guess I feel like a runner now.

So I think I now feel comfortable calling myself a runner? After starting this journey last year, it's been incredibly slow going. Had to stop a number of different times last year (heat, injury, covid). But towards the end I picked it back up to prepare for my first running 5K at Disney World in January. It went incredibly well. I mean, it was hard (didn't properly train myself for it), but it was so much fun. Part of that is just how well organized and electric the whole layout and atmosphere is, but honestly just the act of doing it felt amazing.

So I did another 5K in February. I bought some new Hokas, tried pushing myself a little bit more, but stalled out with some bad weather. The race though... I improved my time little bit, but it felt significantly harder to finish. It went okay, but I felt worse. Yet still the experience itself was nice. After that, I really started running as much as possible. Since last year, I've relied on an app called None To Run - where the idea is week by week it'll take reduce your walking intervals and increase your running ones. I haven't been totally on track with that, but I have been trying to increase my runs as much as possible.

Which led me to last Saturday. My third 5K. This time I was going at it alone and I wanted to push myself even harder. I had my best time yet, but didn't meet my goal. I won't say it as I know it's still pretty slow compared to most runners. I placed almost halfway in the entire roster of runners - maybe a little worse than halfway. But I wasn't near the very end! The amount of effort I put into it just made me so ready to start truly running for real. Again...I am still very much new at this compared to many many many other people.

After resting for too many days (had pretty sore calves after the race), I ran my first full run -no walking- today. And it didn't feel that bad. I ditched None To Run and tried out the Nike Run Club app (which is free). The first run was an easy run, just 20 minutes of slow paced running. Once I finished that with a pretty horrible mile pace, I decided to just keep going for another 10 minutes or so. I found a good pace, which was still pretty slow, and just pushed. And now as I sit here, I feel pretty great. I think now today I feel like somewhat of a runner. The issue, though, that I was having pre and post recent 5K was comparing myself to everyone else. I got down into that, realizing just how not great I am. But I tried hard to push it all away and just run for fun and to get back to it. And it feels good. I finally feel like maybe I am actually getting better at this. And it only took 14 months.

I do see that my time keeps decreasing, so the goal now is to run a virtual 5K this weekend (proceeds going to the Georgia Aquarium) and then just keep going week by week, increasing as much as I can. The next full on, in person 5K for me will be early May. By that point I should hopefully have at least the time I want down - or close to it. And after this? I don't know yet. I'd like to go up to a 10K by the fall, if I can find some in the area. I'd say eventually the longer term goal is a half marathon, but I am nowhere close to that yet. I don't see myself ever wanting to do a full though.

So, runners, what do you usually do on your runs? I am just curious to know. Do you use an app? Do you run long distances, or do you run for time? How frequently?

Jeez this post wound up being incredibly too long. TLDR, I guess I feel like a runner now.
Nice job! Keep up the good work.

I use my apple watch to track runs, which syncs up with strava. My overall goal is to improve my distance, and while I'm not actively trying to run fast I do treat my pace as an indicator of my ability on a particular day as well as the arc of it over recent runs. My goal is three runs a week. Weather, mood, and schedule dictate the distance each time I run, and while I wish I had a decent loop near me so I could just run until I truly know I'm done, I mostly out-and-back which means I kinda gotta know my planned distance when I embark.

I'd like to do a half marathon sometime soon (I last did one almost 20 years ago!), and a marathon, just to say I did it. But mostly my goal is consistency of practice as well as pace.

Back