Fitness!

I tried running this morning, but I woke up later than I usually do so it was already fairly hot. I still pushed through and did it. It was hard getting back into it just cause it's been a month and a half. But the temp wasn't unbearable. I'm going to try some more times next week and see how it goes. Once work starts back up though, to run in the morning I would be running at 6:30, which sounds super not fun. So I don't know if that'll work.

I did already have a membership at this gym, and it's basically comparable with anywhere else. The price is the same, if not a bit cheaper for a lower tier. The cancellation process was initially doable online, but I'm not sure if they've changed that. They lost a lot of business in 2020 and then started bombarding ex-members with emails about signing back up the next year. They do have an initial meeting with a trainer as an option, but I don't know how long you have access to that at the lower tier. The higher tier basically the main difference is hydromassage and tanning. Not interested in that.

I have not actually looked into treadmills online. I just assumed they'd be wildly out of my price range - and to even transport them would be difficult. But I might see what is out there. I do like running outside - I mean even in the winter I really enjoy it. But as the summer was approaching I did run when it was over 80 with high humidity (which is a constant thing here) and felt like I was going to die. I just don't think it's possible for me to do it later in the day personally. Even at night here it's still super hot all summer. This morning wasn't horrible, with a temp of like 75 - and it would be better even earlier. Luckily my first week of work is a bit relaxed with mostly in service stuff, so I should be able to attempt a run early in the morning and then go into work to see what it feels like.
you could just alternate running in the morning (or afternoon on cool days) during the summer and then in the Fall/Winter/Spring in the afternoons when your schedule doesn't allow you to get up that early. You wouldn't need a gym in that case.

you could just alternate running in the morning (or afternoon on cool days) during the summer and then in the Fall/Winter/Spring in the afternoons when your schedule doesn't allow you to get up that early. You wouldn't need a gym in that case.
I'm gonna give it a shot before I make any sort of commitment to a gym. I don't want to necessarily have another monthly thing to pay for.

Running in the morning is a nonstarter for me; I'm a notorious snooze button maniac, running on an empty stomach results in bad acid, and running on a piece of toast or a banana makes me nauseous. So I'm shaky at keeping the habit in summer.

Running in the morning is a nonstarter for me; I'm a notorious snooze button maniac, running on an empty stomach results in bad acid, and running on a piece of toast or a banana makes me nauseous. So I'm shaky at keeping the habit in summer.
totally not without it's faults! some mornings I get, like, hunger pains right after and a nausceous feeling where I have to eat something asap. I usually scarf down a banana immediately after running. When I run at the gym at my office I eat some instant oatmeal and a banana at home and then end up starting running about 30-45 minutes later when I get in. I've never had problems with that amount of food before.

Ugh, first day back in the gym after about 4 weeks off for a move and several on and off weeks coming out of a separation and cultivating a long distance relationship. I was careful to keep it moderate but still feel like I put in a 2 hour max effort workout. Can't wait to get back into condition but hating where it starts.

Ugh, first day back in the gym after about 4 weeks off for a move and several on and off weeks coming out of a separation and cultivating a long distance relationship. I was careful to keep it moderate but still feel like I put in a 2 hour max effort workout. Can't wait to get back into condition but hating where it starts.
Tomorrow I am making you swim laps, so don’t get too comfortable.

I will never understand why so many shoe manufacturers just refuse to make running shoes in wide sizes. You’re alienating a lot of potential consumers 😤
What brand is that? I've worn Asics and Hoka's of late and they both offer varying widths, although Hoka doesn't offer it in all their lines.

What brand is that? I've worn Asics and Hoka's of late and they both offer varying widths, although Hoka doesn't offer it in all their lines.
no one brand in particular. I've been looking for new shoes for a little while and because of that I get sponsored ads on Instagram for various brands, Adidas, Reebok, Puma, Nike, some random ones I've never heard of. I just click through to see what they're advertising and they almost never have wide sizes.

I've been using two different Hoka's for a while but they're starting to wear. I underpronate so the outside soles are worn and they have less of a bounce as they used to. I'm way over whatever suggested mileage you should put on shoes but they've worked for over a year and a half. I bought some cheap Saucony's a couple of months ago as a stop-gap but they're really not that wide as I hoped and aren't super cushiony. I'll probably just bite the bullet on another Hoka or possibly New Balance.

no one brand in particular. I've been looking for new shoes for a little while and because of that I get sponsored ads on Instagram for various brands, Adidas, Reebok, Puma, Nike, some random ones I've never heard of. I just click through to see what they're advertising and they almost never have wide sizes.

I've been using two different Hoka's for a while but they're starting to wear. I underpronate so the outside soles are worn and they have less of a bounce as they used to. I'm way over whatever suggested mileage you should put on shoes but they've worked for over a year and a half. I bought some cheap Saucony's a couple of months ago as a stop-gap but they're really not that wide as I hoped and aren't super cushiony. I'll probably just bite the bullet on another Hoka or possibly New Balance.
Hmm...I have a standard width foot, so I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure Nike Pegasus come in wider sizing as a buddy used to wear them. I assume you are looking for a road running shoe, but are you looking for in a shoe? Cushion or Minimal? Stability? Lightweight? Do you prefer a big heel-toe drop?

I have a love/hate relationship with Hoka's. I love for how they feel on my feet when I'm running, but they definitely don't last. The soles seem to wear out faster than previous brands I've worn and the cushioning breaks down too. My road shoes used to be Asics Keyanos which would usually last ~800km, but my current Hoka Arahi's probably already need replacing after 350km. And I've gone through 2 pairs of Hoka Speedgoats for trail shoes this season, although I've done about 1000km of trail running (~500km on each pair), so that seems alright, although not great.

Hmm...I have a standard width foot, so I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure Nike Pegasus come in wider sizing as a buddy used to wear them. I assume you are looking for a road running shoe, but are you looking for in a shoe? Cushion or Minimal? Stability? Lightweight? Do you prefer a big heel-toe drop?

I have a love/hate relationship with Hoka's. I love for how they feel on my feet when I'm running, but they definitely don't last. The soles seem to wear out faster than previous brands I've worn and the cushioning breaks down too. My road shoes used to be Asics Keyanos which would usually last ~800km, but my current Hoka Arahi's probably already need replacing after 350km. And I've gone through 2 pairs of Hoka Speedgoats for trail shoes this season, although I've done about 1000km of trail running (~500km on each pair), so that seems alright, although not great.
Road running and trail running. For trail running really just something with some traction because in the winter I wear micro spikes and/or yak tracks sometimes when it snows before the path I run is clear. I tend to alternate to not wear out one shoe too quickly. I still wear the trail shoes on pavement and they work fine.

For the Hoka's I have an Arahi as well and also a pair of the Hoka Challenger trail running shoe. I really like how they fit but aren't as comfy as when I first got them. I've probably put like 400-500 miles on each (which is just about 800km) so they're showing their wear.

I had a pair of New Balance 10+ years ago that I loved but they eventually broke down. After that Nikes, then Mizuno, before realizing I should probably get my feet fitted properly and realized a wide shoe was in order. I've been looking at getting possibly New Balance or maybe Brooks since they both offer wide and have decent color options that are not just black/white. A few years ago I tried the Gel Kayano 27 Wide, but it didn't really feel wide enough for me and a part of the lining near the toe box kept digging into my foot occassionally. It was very strange. I couldn't return them so I eventually donated them.

Last edited:
Road running and trail running. For trail running really just something with some traction because in the winter I wear micro spikes and/or yak tracks sometimes when it snows before the path I run is clear. I tend to alternate to not wear out one shoe too quickly. I still wear the trail shoes on pavement and they work fine.

For the Hoka's I have an Arahi as well and also a pair of the Hoka Challenger trail running shoe. I really like how they fit but aren't as comfy as when I first got them. I've probably put like 400-500 miles on each (which is just about 800km) so they're showing their wear.

I had a pair of New Balance 10+ years ago that I loved but they eventually broke down. After that Nikes, then Mizuno, before realizing I should probably get my feet fitted properly and realized a wide shoe was in order. I've been looking at getting possibly New Balance or maybe Brooks since they both offer wide and have decent color options that are not just black/white. A few years ago I tried the Gel Kayano 27 Wide, but it didn't really feel wide enough for me and a part of the lining near the toe box kept digging into my foot occassionally. It was very strange. I couldn't return them so I eventually donated them.

Have you tried the HOKA Speedgoat?

Idk, if you want shoes that can do both road and trail - and come in wider widths - the Hoka Challengers are probably your best bet. Especially if you already like them and they've just reached their max milage.

Or try the New Balance Hierro? A guy in my Tuesday trail run crew wears those and he said he likes them.

Snow/Ice shoes are a whole other beast. I don't love yak-tracks, so I've tried Saucony Perigrine Ice (disliked the fit and the grip wasn't grippy enough for me), Icebug Pythos (Ok fit, good grip), and my current Solomon Spikecross (A little snug on the fit with warmer socks, but by far the best grip on ice and snow).

Have you tried the HOKA Speedgoat?
I have not but I'll look into them
Idk, if you want shoes that can do both road and trail - and come in wider widths - the Hoka Challengers are probably your best bet. Especially if you already like them and they've just reached their max milage.

Or try the New Balance Hierro? A guy in my Tuesday trail run crew wears those and he said he likes them.

Snow/Ice shoes are a whole other beast. I don't love yak-tracks, so I've tried Saucony Perigrine Ice (disliked the fit and the grip wasn't grippy enough for me), Icebug Pythos (Ok fit, good grip), and my current Solomon Spikecross (A little snug on the fit with warmer socks, but by far the best grip on ice and snow).
I think just one of each. I'll probably end up getting those Challengers again or maybe the Speedgoats. I really did like them and they lasted me a bit. Anything with spikes I think is a no go. I'd rather add the spikes myself because sometimes it's not even needed and I end up taking them off mid run. I'll look into those New Balance too!

I have not but I'll look into them

I think just one of each. I'll probably end up getting those Challengers again or maybe the Speedgoats. I really did like them and they lasted me a bit. Anything with spikes I think is a no go. I'd rather add the spikes myself because sometimes it's not even needed and I end up taking them off mid run. I'll look into those New Balance too!
update: went with the New Balance Fresh Foam More v4 - link

They're not good. I was excited as I've had good results with New Balance shoes in the past but these are not it. The wide is actually quite wide which made me question if I needed a wide in the first place. I know different manufacturers will have different widths. The New Balance is very generous. I ran 6 miles right out of the box and it felt fine other than some lacing too tight. It was wider than I expected so I overcompensated on tying it too tight. I know it takes me a couple of runs to get the fit right in laces since I tend to tie them once and then slip on and off once good to go. I laced looser on the second run of 7 miles before realizing how strange the tongue was (see reddit thread below, this is a common issue it seems). It's not symetrical because one side has the Fresh Foam branding and has zero padding. It kept rubbing/slipping down into the show which applied pressure right below my ankle bone. The upper part of the shoe near the laces has no padding compared to my previous Hoka/Saucony pairs. I had some light pain there and thought it was something I'd get used to. Next day I took them on an hour long walk and the tongue issue persisted. I pulled the tongue up but it kept slipping back down into the shoe. It was very uncomfortable on my ankle bone. The following day I ran in my Saucony's and had no issues with the tongue. I took these out again for a run this morning, only 4 miles. The tongue issue was still there but didn't hurt like they did previously. However, later in the day, I started to get soreness in my foot and leg and a charlie horse in my thigh which had to have been brought about by these shoes. The weird thing is that the pain is only in my right foot/leg. My left is totally normal and fine. The slippage is still there but the pain is just the right.

I had a Amazon giftcard so it's not a huge loss but still annoying. I just grabbed some Hoka Clifton's from Fleet Feet so I can return if I need to.

update: went with the New Balance Fresh Foam More v4 - link

They're not good. I was excited as I've had good results with New Balance shoes in the past but these are not it. The wide is actually quite wide which made me question if I needed a wide in the first place. I know different manufacturers will have different widths. The New Balance is very generous. I ran 6 miles right out of the box and it felt fine other than some lacing too tight. It was wider than I expected so I overcompensated on tying it too tight. I know it takes me a couple of runs to get the fit right in laces since I tend to tie them once and then slip on and off once good to go. I laced looser on the second run of 7 miles before realizing how strange the tongue was (see reddit thread below, this is a common issue it seems). It's not symetrical because one side has the Fresh Foam branding and has zero padding. It kept rubbing/slipping down into the show which applied pressure right below my ankle bone. The upper part of the shoe near the laces has no padding compared to my previous Hoka/Saucony pairs. I had some light pain there and thought it was something I'd get used to. Next day I took them on an hour long walk and the tongue issue persisted. I pulled the tongue up but it kept slipping back down into the shoe. It was very uncomfortable on my ankle bone. The following day I ran in my Saucony's and had no issues with the tongue. I took these out again for a run this morning, only 4 miles. The tongue issue was still there but didn't hurt like they did previously. However, later in the day, I started to get soreness in my foot and leg and a charlie horse in my thigh which had to have been brought about by these shoes. The weird thing is that the pain is only in my right foot/leg. My left is totally normal and fine. The slippage is still there but the pain is just the right.

I had an Amazon giftcard so it's not a huge loss but still annoying. I just grabbed some Hoka Clifton's from Fleet Feet so I can return if I need to.

Update #2: I think I’m a Hoka stan because it doesn’t even feel like I’m trying to run faster. And yet, my two runs since this getting these Hoka’s in the mail on Wednesday have been noticeably faster.

E01BC64F-C6B4-4AEF-8BD6-E0771C1E6C56.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0419.jpeg

25% complete with Scuba certification. Main bit was doing the 300m swim test which I got to do in a wetsuit due to the fall weather. That made it a cinch but then again I shivered violently for the rest of the course and lost so much sensation in my fingers that basic things like working buckles became nearly impossible. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow for round 2. I was mostly fine underwater but we spent a lot of time standing chest deep taking instruction and that's when I'd freeze.

@nolalady is a former competitive swimmer so none of those issues were hers so I could only pick on her ingrained breath holding habits.

25% complete with Scuba certification. Main bit was doing the 300m swim test which I got to do in a wetsuit due to the fall weather. That made it a cinch but then again I shivered violently for the rest of the course and lost so much sensation in my fingers that basic things like working buckles became nearly impossible. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow for round 2. I was mostly fine underwater but we spent a lot of time standing chest deep taking instruction and that's when I'd freeze.

@nolalady is a former competitive swimmer so none of those issues were hers so I could only pick on her ingrained breath holding habits.
You gotta make sure not to bend your knees when you kick. It’s way more efficient.

I actually have some fat on my body which helped me brave the cold, plus I am pretty sure that the Scandinavian genes kicked in after a while. So not having visible abs helped me this round. We are supposed to have to do a 10 minute water treading tomorrow without a wet suit, so it better be warmer tomorrow or I’m going to freeze but @debianlinux is going to go into hypothermic shock. Good thing I also have lifeguard training so I can reel him in if I need to.

This was my first time scuba diving and I am really excited to go out again and do so real diving.

Back