February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

Day 13: Euchre

Neil Young - Neil Young

Euchre is my favourite card game by far. At family gatherings and friend hangouts, it's been a staple. Any time there's a group of four of us, or even a multiple of two, it's euchre time. I didn't realize until I moved to South Korea and nobody else knew it that it was such a regional game.

Anyway, I only recently learned about the existence of "Canadian loner" rule. When your partner is the dealer and you want to order them up (i.e., have them pick up the showing card so it becomes trump for that hand), they pick it up but you have to play the hand alone. This has how it's always been for me; ordering your partner up is a risk, but with potentially huge reward. I can't imagine playing euchre without this rule. I think it would be way too easy and much less interesting.

Anyway, Neil was born in Ontario, where the game is still very popular; grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, kind of Canada's midwest; and this album features a song called "The Loner." I've had this one planned out since I first saw the list of categories on day 1.

PXL_20220213_152919621~2.jpg

Last edited:

Neil Young - Neil Young

Euchre is my favourite card game by far. At family gatherings and friend hangouts, it's been a staple. Any time there's a group of four of us, or even a multiple of two, it's euchre time. I didn't realize until I moved to South Korea and nobody else knew it that it was such a regional game.

Anyway, I only recently learned about the exist nice of "Canadian loner" rule. When your partner is the dealer and you want to order them up (i.e., have them pick up the showing card so it becomes trump for that hand), they pick it up but you have to play the hand alone. This has how it's always been for me; ordering your partner up is a risk, but with potentially huge reward. I can't imagine playing euchre without this rule. I think it would be way too easy and much less interesting.

Anyway, Neil was born in Ontario, where the game is still very popular; grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, kind of Canada's midwest; and this album features a song called "The Loner." I've had this one planned out since I first saw the list of categories on day 1.

View attachment 128711
Also this is what happens to all of our card decks from using just 9s and up:

PXL_20220213_154413839.jpg

Day 10 - Candyland - Play something sweet

Hatchie - Sugar & Spice

I'm a few days behind, which means it's time to whip out the EPs!

20200804_154144-jpg.59975

Neil Young - Neil Young

Anyway, I only recently learned about the existence of "Canadian loner" rule. When your partner is the dealer and you want to order them up (i.e., have them pick up the showing card so it becomes trump for that hand), they pick it up but you have to play the hand alone. This has how it's always been for me; ordering your partner up is a risk, but with potentially huge reward. I can't imagine playing euchre without this rule. I think it would be way too easy and much less interesting.

View attachment 128711

Oh wow, I didn’t know that loner rule wasn’t standard! It’s how I always played too.

Day 13 - Euchre
J.J. Johnson – Proof Positive
20220213_183902.jpg

Indianapolis represent!

From 2010 through 2013 Indianapolis was my American home base during a handful of poetry tours - which was less about the city itself and more about the people we found there. I'd love to have been able to play some Grampall Jookabox in honour of today's prompt but Popmarket zeroed me on my order a month or two ago. Fortunately J. J. Johnson is around to hold it down for Indy town instead.

Day 14 - Hungry Hungry Hippos
Playing something about eating, hippos, marbles or an endless urge.

Ween - Quebec

16448257039367617313753806247206.jpg

From "Happy Colored Marbles":

🎵Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head🎵
🎵I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love🎵
🎵Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles🎵
🎵And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done🎵

Not the marbles that I occasionally played with in youth, I take it.

Day 14 - Hungry Hungry Hippos - Playing something about eating, hippos, marbles or an endless urge
this is a terrible record but it fits, I went through a spell of picking anything up from charity shops that had a space theme
50939583176_2cbb9ab0ce_k.jpg

Various – Marbles On The Moon​

Label:Marble Arch – MAL 1181
Format:Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Mono
Released:1969
Genre:Jazz
Style:Space-Age, Easy Listening

Last edited:
Back