Everything Video Games!

I came very close to buying the vinyl, but held off.
Totally get it, a bit pricey at $42 before shipping, but that's par for the course with IAm8Bit. Always a bit of a wait too - this one doesn't ship until Q3. That being said, I've bought many records from them and the wait has always been worth it. Haven't received anything from them yet that didn't both sound and look great.

Picked up my copy of Another Code Recollection at GameStop during my lunch break. I'll be playing it this weekend.

I asked the guy at GameStop how popular the pre-orders were for this game. He said I was the only one. And good thing I pre-ordered, because otherwise they wouldn't have got it in.

I find that interesting. They seem to make a big deal out of it at Nintendo Direct last fall. I wonder if any game that is not Pokemon, Zelda or Mario related these days are online / special order only.

Picked up my copy of Another Code Recollection at GameStop during my lunch break. I'll be playing it this weekend.

I asked the guy at GameStop how popular the pre-orders were for this game. He said I was the only one. And good thing I pre-ordered, because otherwise they wouldn't have got it in.

I find that interesting. They seem to make a big deal out of it at Nintendo Direct last fall. I wonder if any game that is not Pokemon, Zelda or Mario related these days are online / special order only.
I decided to buy some vouchers today, and picked up this and Super Mario Wonder.

I had literally no idea what the Far Cry series is about but I’m giving Far Cry 5 a shot and it’s really fun. Way better than what I was expecting. Some elements from Assassin’s Creed because it’s Ubisoft, some Borderlands, some Red Dead Redemption/GTA. I’m really liking it so far.

I had literally no idea what the Far Cry series is about but I’m giving Far Cry 5 a shot and it’s really fun. Way better than what I was expecting. Some elements from Assassin’s Creed because it’s Ubisoft, some Borderlands, some Red Dead Redemption/GTA. I’m really liking it so far.
It's mainly about clueless white bro's saving indigenous folk from other indigenous folk.

Kidding not kidding. I play them, they're dumb fun.

Bummer. I haven't used my Switch mutch over the last 6 months and it's been sitting with no battery charge.

Now that I'm playing Another Code, a fully charged battery doesn't last much more than an hour. Wonder if my switch's battery is fubar or if Another Code is that demanding.

It was fine when I was playing Pokemon Detective Pikachu. The only use my switch got in the last 6 months.

Bummer. I haven't used my Switch mutch over the last 6 months and it's been sitting with no battery charge.

Now that I'm playing Another Code, a fully charged battery doesn't last much more than an hour. Wonder if my switch's battery is fubar or if Another Code is that demanding.

It was fine when I was playing Pokemon Detective Pikachu. The only use my switch got in the last 6 months.
Do you have an older switch? I believe there’s some that only get like 2 hours per charge. I bought mine off eBay 3 years ago and didn’t know before buying. IIRC there’s a code or something on it that’ll tell you if it’s one of the older ones, you’d have to google specifics. I play it docked 95% of the time so it doesn’t matter to me. Batteries do lose charge after a while so it’s entirely possible it’s losing power faster than it should.

I’ve been playing Dead Island: Definitive Edition for the last week-ish. I played it originally on my 360 but I never finished it.
It’s a little repetitive, but I’m enjoying the story and it’s always fun to bash in some zombie heads.

Starfield is fine so far. I was overwhelmed at the beginning but I stuck to the story initially and it's starting to make sense. My qualms are that the whole world feels a little sterile, too clean. Although I've only been to New Atlantis and a few other places. It feels like it's missing some comic relief or heart in some way. Also at first I was overwhelmed because I don't really know why everyone is in space. Just setting up the game with like a short movie about civilization collapsing and how we got to 2330 would be helpful in understanding the game more. You're kind of thrust into it without any context.

I love Fallout and Skyrim but having the main character be basically you without any personality makes it feel very dry. It didn't feel that way in the other two franchises. I can't help but think of Mass Effect and the amazing character writing in that series. I'd rather it tell a story of a person with dialogue and background than nothing. The best comparison I can think of is Starfield is a mix of The Outer Worlds and Mass Effect Andromeda.

Combat is a little tricky because I was so used to VATS in Fallout and needing to actually play it as a FPS will take some getting used to. It's very similar to Mass Effect in that regard but the combat in Mass Effect was always super fun with the tech powers and whatnot. Does that happen in Starfield? or does the combat get more fun as you get better? I'm only 4 hours in right now.
Yeah this seems to be the consensus with Starfield. In the internet the lacklusterness that was Starfield has gotten to the point where the game is just used as the de facto example of what a bad AAA open world title is in 2023.

Just seems like Bethesda decided to stick with what has worked with very little effort towards modernization, innovation, or even just simple gameplay quality of life improvement. It’s a little bit too much like stepping into the past and as a result feels less enchanting or impressive than Skyrim and the Fallouts.

Hoping Todd Howard listens to the reception of Starfield closely and makes sure they do things differently for The Elder Scrolls 6.

This kind of captured it perfectly for me. Yes, somehow I watched that whole thing.

Yeah this seems to be the consensus with Starfield. In the internet the lacklusterness that was Starfield has gotten to the point where the game is just used as the de facto example of what a bad AAA open world title is in 2023.

Just seems like Bethesda decided to stick with what has worked with very little effort towards modernization, innovation, or even just simple gameplay quality of life improvement. It’s a little bit too much like stepping into the past and as a result feels less enchanting or impressive than Skyrim and the Fallouts.

Hoping Todd Howard listens to the reception of Starfield closely and makes sure they do things differently for The Elder Scrolls 6.

This kind of captured it perfectly for me. Yes, somehow I watched that whole thing.

I'll have to watch/listen to this today during my lunch break!

ES6 should have a lot more lore involved since it's a continuation of previous titles. Starfield barely has any, at least from the beginning and it's really hard to care. Give me something to care about because all these missions are boring.

Because I own a physical copy of the disc (I somehow didn't realize Starfield was on Game Pass when I bought my XSX bundle that had Starfield included with it) I'll try and finish it. If I had only been playing it via Game Pass I might consider not finishing it. I'll take my time with it because it could become too much of a grind if I just play it in one go rather than piecing it up. I still have RDR2, Jedi Survivor, Far Cry 5, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Lies of P, Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (which I started playing this weekend with some friends online). So there's no reason to power through a mid game in one go.

I've been having more fun just wandering around and getting into all sorts of mischief (aka dying).

I bought the stealth garb from Kakariko Village and I feel like it unlocked a cheat code for sneak strikes. Something about sitting on a hill waiting for the sun to go down and the goblins to fall asleep has me feeling like I'm in some old samurai movie.

At the beginnig, you're gonna die soooo many times. Eventually, you're going to be so overpowered that (most) combat is a joke, and you're essentially just trying to find out what stupid fun way you're gonna kill these monsters instead of just wondering if you'll survive lol

At the beginnig, you're gonna die soooo many times. Eventually, you're going to be so overpowered that (most) combat is a joke, and you're essentially just trying to find out what stupid fun way you're gonna kill these monsters instead of just wondering if you'll survive lol
I’ve gotten a little better at combat but I will still run from some fights when like three moblins are chasing me down. I’ve still yet to take on a guardian. Mainly because I can’t find enough shields to parry their laser beams. I feel like Stasis + and some ancient arrows are the trick?

I’ve gotten a little better at combat but I will still run from some fights when like three moblins are chasing me down. I’ve still yet to take on a guardian. Mainly because I can’t find enough shields to parry their laser beams. I feel like Stasis + and some ancient arrows are the trick?
yes, that's one way. I pretty much ran away from them for the longest time until I had ancient arrows or had stronger shields to parry. It's not totally necessary to fight them. I would mostly not bother unless I absolutely needed to in a shrine or one of the challenges later on.

Once you can get ancient arrows they're a piece of cake, until then they're a pain to kill so I just avoided them.

They're pretty scary, but man it feels good when you've gotten to the point where you can take them out reliably.

yes, that's one way. I pretty much ran away from them for the longest time until I had ancient arrows or had stronger shields to parry. It's not totally necessary to fight them. I would mostly not bother unless I absolutely needed to in a shrine or one of the challenges later on.
I ended up just running from most fights throughout both games. At first, it was because I was underpowered. Then, it was because I was overpowered and the trash mobs weren't worthy of risking a weapon break 😎.

That being said, it was super satisfying to beat a guardian or lionel without getting hit once you got the dodge/parries down.

Back