Everything Video Games!

So I’ve had a PS5 for a while now (first PlayStation I’ve had since PS2), and was finally able to play a few games I never had the chance to play. Namely Horizon and God of War, the latter of which I just finished. I also played Control, The Pathless, and It Takes Two with my brother. I’m about to start Scarlet Nexus and have picked up Hades finally as well.

Any other recommendations?? I got a ton of PS4 backlog for free with their online service or whatever, so I’m really excited.

So I’ve had a PS5 for a while now (first PlayStation I’ve had since PS2), and was finally able to play a few games I never had the chance to play. Namely Horizon and God of War, the latter of which I just finished. I also played Control, The Pathless, and It Takes Two with my brother. I’m about to start Scarlet Nexus and have picked up Hades finally as well.

Any other recommendations?? I got a ton of PS4 backlog for free with their online service or whatever, so I’m really excited.
The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Uncharted, Rayman, The Witness, to name a few. RE2 and FFVII remakes are also great.

I played through the Mass Effect Remastered trilogy recently which were all really good. Especially the 2nd one.

I feel like it's been a while since I posted an update on what I've been playing lately, and I need a break from work. After finishing FFVII, I've been really bouncing around between games.

First, I started playing The Ascent. I love twinstick shooters, and the heavily Blade Runner inspired art direction is really doing it for me. No idea how far I am in the story, I made it to the second area of the game and have been running around there. Still feels like I'm pretty early into the game.

I finished Code Vein. I may go back and play through a couple more times to see the other endings (I got the neutral one). This thing copies Dark Souls so obviously sometimes it hurts, but it's still really fun to play, and I love the concept of finding the memories of all of the Revenants. Also scratches that Dark Souls itch I now get after finally beating the first one last year.

I've also been continuing on in Fallout 76. Been mostly doing the original story stuff, I'm down in the Southwest of the map doing all the mining related stuff currently. With all the new content, the quest markers on the right have taken up several screens worth of real estate. It feels like I finish one and pick up two more on the way to the next one. At least there's tons to do, right?

I also have been playing Katamari Damacy: Reroll to destress a bit. However, I made the foolish mistake to go for 100% of items for the achievement, and now my life is that GOT. DANG. COW. LEVEL. For an otherwise relaxed game, this and the Bear level are incredibly stressful. For those unaware, the level ends when you pick up one single cow or bear (or something with a cow or bear on it). Not a huge deal casually, and you can bet the level in seconds if you want. However, to get all items in the game, there is a very large version of each animal that you have to collect. This means rolling up enough stuff to be able to grab them, without picking up any of the 500 other level enders. The cow level is particularly cruel because it surrounds the big cow with a bunch of smaller cows, so it's real easy to screw up right at the end (if you even get that far).

Speaking of relaxed games with one stressful part, I also started playing A Night In the Woods this weekend. I've been meaning to get to this one, and Microsoft Rewards had bonus points for getting an achievement in this one, so I dived in. I love everything about this one. Except Demon Tower or whatever it was called. It's a bonus game where you play a simple dungeon crawler. It also has a secret ending, and is tied to the achievement for getting all of the drawings in the game, so you have to play it if you want to complete. This minigame could be really fun, but it has issues with the things that are guaranteed to make my blood boil in a game - dropped inputs, chain damage/stun lock that is inescapable, and inconsistent hit boxes. I also had an issue using the joystick to move where it was a bit too sensitive, and releasing the stick would sometimes turn me around, but this was fixed by using the d-pad. It was highly stressful, but I was able to overcome it, and now it's back to everything I like about this game. Great character driven interactive story with some light platforming. Feels similar to Oxenfree in my opinion (also fantastic if you've never played it).

Finally, quick Isaac update. I'm still working on Jacob and Esau, but got a bit burned out, so I've only been doing the occasional run. I only have Hush, Delirium, and Greed/Greedier mode to complete here, but man do I hate playing as this character. I think this secretly means I don't like sharing!

I am enjoying the hell out of Ghost of Tsushima

Been working through Mario Odyssey, The Last Campfire, and The Gardens Between

any reccs along the lines of those latter 2 would be appreciated.

Been working through Mario Odyssey, The Last Campfire, and The Gardens Between

any reccs along the lines of those latter 2 would be appreciated.

Oxenfree, Gorogoa, Untitled Goose Game, Fe, Unravel Two

Unravel, Monument Valley 1 + 2 (not on Switch)

On my radar but haven't yet played: Cloud Gardens (not on Switch), Manifold Garden

Waited until now before finally diving into Borderlands 3 and it’s a blast. Story is definitely weaker than 2, but everything else is an improvement.

Just finished playing through FF7 Remake the past couple of weeks.

Some stuff was really, really well done. Some stuff was really, really tedious. Some of the new, bulked up story and character-driven elements were nice touches, while others made me think about whether or not they were very good to begin with. The ending was.....a thing, and I'm not sure whether or not it will end up being a good thing with more episodes to come.

I'm interested to play the next installment, but I'm not sure if I am optimistic about the future of the storytelling. I'd love to be proven wrong, but there's some lingering doubt in my brain.

Grabbed Castlevania Requiem from the summer sale and have really enjoyed it. Rondo of Blood was great and difficult in a way I really enjoyed. Having to really learn all the enemies movesets to not die. SOTN is really cool and it is awesome to play the classic Metroidvania, but after beating Rondo, I was really surprised by the drop in difficulty. By exploring a lot and just happening to find good weapons, I was able to beat most bosses just blundering through the first time.

A combo of the two would be awesome. I guess I should just play Hollow Knight again!

Might try another old school Castlevania though. Any of you guys recommend one in particular? I don't have a DS. I've heard the original and 3 are great.

finished skyward sword HD today. overall, i definitely enjoyed it and think it is a pretty good Zelda game. i've never played the original, so i cant compare the HD version to the original, but on its own, i think it holds up. personally, i dont mind motion controls in video games (such as in titles like mario odyssey), so for this one, i enjoyed using the joy cons as a sword and shield, i thought it was fun. however, in this game, you get the best of both worlds in regards to motion controls. link's tools and sword being used with motion controls was nice and it was fun using it as such, but there are times such as the various mini games (the free falling one in fun island and the pumpkin one) and the first phase of all girahim encounters where the motion controls are terrible and make me want to die lol. thankfully, the button controls do actually make some of these tedious moments tolerable this time around. though, to be honest, i wasn't really a fan of using button controls for regular playing either, and cant imagine playing the whole game using button controls. but i imagine there might be some who would. besides gameplay, the story and setting elements of this game were amazing, which i definitely loved.

also, as the xenoblade fanatic that i am, i like how skyward sword influenced some parts of xenoblade 2 such as the setting of both games taking place in the sky and the notion of the swords in both games having a conscious form in Fi in skyward sword and in blades in the xenoblade 2.

Hades is now on Gamepass and it's so much fun. I've done 13 runs so far, made it to Elysium. Each time I die I want to jump back in. I couldn't imagine a game that forces you to restart from the beginning each time you die to have so much replay value. My favorite weapon so far has been the spear, the gun thing surprisingly I made it the furthest during the first time I used it, but it feels a little cheap and out of place. The hype and acclaim for the game is completely justified.

Anyone who's played it have any advice? best weapons/combos? how long did it take to beat the game?

Back