Everything Video Games!

Anyone playing Fall Guys on the PS4? Great fun, even if I'm not that great at it!
I played for maybe an hour and it was just sorta frustrating. Maybe there's some skill involved in the game, but mostly it felt like being a coin in one of those spinny donation cones you see at the grocery store; whether I made it to the end or not seemed entirely out of my control.

This playthrough of Dark Souls is going so much smoother than previous efforts. I've caught back up to where I stopped playing last time, currently fighting the Gaping Dragon. Can't remember why I quit last time, this boss doesn't seem too tough, but I've only fought it once. My damage output seems a bit low, but most of the attacks are easy to dodge.

Also, I got cursed unlocking the way to Gaping Demon. The people you talk to mentioned going to New Londo to get cured. I tried that. A lot. The church looking building full of ghosts can just sink into the water for all I care. Ended up looking online, and found there is a MUCH easier way to remove curse, it just costs 6000 souls, which is a level and a half where I'm currently at. Still, beats being eaten alive by what I've loving dubbed "it's too much ghosts"

Did anyone check out the Avengers beta on the weekend? I played for a couple hours but it wasn't doing it for me, felt pretty bland and I really don't like the camera. The combat has potential I think and I'm curious about endgame builds but I think I'll be waiting for a pretty good sale before buying.

I watched some of the new Flight Simulator videos, looks insanely good.

New Flight Simulator looks insane. Reviews say it's a leap forward in terms of tech in gaming.

I just took off from a local regional airport, took a while to get my bearings, eventually recognized where I was based on an intersection, followed the highway to my inlaws' farm, and made a hard landing in their yard.

This thing is incredible.

So.....I have had a 4 year run in Dark Souls 3. As in I have been playing the same playthrough since release.

My questions is what do to kill Dancer of the Boreal Valley?! What Do??!!? I have no magic, no good weapons cause my specs are just health and endurance.

With releases like Gris and Celeste , the soundtracks have become part of the story and charm.
Curious to know what other video game soundtracks or songs have stuck out to you ?

I have had a song from a game stuck in my head the last few days , but I have never played the game. I have only ever heard it on stranger things.

With releases like Gris and Celeste , the soundtracks have become part of the story and charm.
Curious to know what other video game soundtracks or songs have stuck out to you ?

I have had a song from a game stuck in my head the last few days , but I have never played the game. I have only ever heard it on stranger things.

There are far too many video game soundtracks that have left a lasting impression on me. Just about every Nintendo game is full of sonic gold, but I'll give special mention to Earthbound and Legend of Zelda (Wind Waker and Link's Awakening really hit the spot), plus the jazzy race music of Mario Kart 8. Smash Bros. Ultimate is a great way to get introduced to a lot of music with the built-in soundtrack feature.

Other video game music that I really dig: Portal 2, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts (most Double Fine games, tbh), and Rocket League, oddly enough. Really looking forward to digging into Sayonara Wild Hearts, Gris and (eventually) Undertale as I've heard all three are unbelievable.

My forever benchmark for video game soundtracks is Chrono Trigger. The depth and breadth of music in that game, with the SNES' modest economy of musical capabilities, is pretty stunning.

I will echo the praise of Grim Fandango's music as well. Such a perfect fit for that game. Cuphead also falls into that same category in a similar-ish style of music. (Ape Out is also absolutely spot on, even for procedurally-generated jazz music) More recently, I have absolutely loved the Floor Kids soundtrack, which was all done by Kid Koala. It was really fun to listen to his different approaches to doing essentially the same formula and instrumental structure.

But yeah, Celeste, Gris, Undertale, Monument Valley, Firewatch.....all very worthy modern soundtracks. For older stuff, give me Super Metroid, Mega Man 2 & 3, Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Ducktails, Super Mario 64, and pretty much anything that Nobuo Uematsu did.

Lots of favorites mentioned but I would like to mention Donkey Kong Country 2 and Katamari Damacy as well.

I still have never made the leap to purchasing any on vinyl. I just don't think I would spin them much.

All these soundtrack suggestions are great and I couldn't agree more. Thought I'd add even more, just in case anyone needs more to listen to:

As a general rule, everything Square produced for SNES and PS1 you can assume is generally solid. I'm not as familiar with PS2 onward, but as @dhodo mentioned, everything from Uematsu is worth your time.

Castlevania Series is generally fantastic, going all the way back to the original.

Grant Kirkhope's work holds a special place in my heart - Banjo-Kazooie, DK64, Yooka-Laylee, Goldeneye, Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Kingdoms of Amalur.

David Wise as well, he and Kirkhope have been hugely inspirational throughout my life.

Ori and the Blind Forest/ Will of the Wisps.

The Halo series

Shenmue

There's plenty more, but I'll keep it short ish for now.

All these soundtrack suggestions are great and I couldn't agree more. Thought I'd add even more, just in case anyone needs more to listen to:

As a general rule, everything Square produced for SNES and PS1 you can assume is generally solid. I'm not as familiar with PS2 onward, but as @dhodo mentioned, everything from Uematsu is worth your time.

Castlevania Series is generally fantastic, going all the way back to the original.

Grant Kirkhope's work holds a special place in my heart - Banjo-Kazooie, DK64, Yooka-Laylee, Goldeneye, Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Kingdoms of Amalur.

David Wise as well, he and Kirkhope have been hugely inspirational throughout my life.

Ori and the Blind Forest/ Will of the Wisps.

The Halo series

Shenmue

There's plenty more, but I'll keep it short ish for now.
I would say I definitely agree from the games I've played, but got to give @BattleFlag the credit on the Uematsu recommendation.

What are some other standout David Wise titles besides DKC 2?

I would say I definitely agree from the games I've played, but got to give @BattleFlag the credit on the Uematsu recommendation.

What are some other standout David Wise titles besides DKC 2?
Whoops, sorry about that @BattleFlag I misread who submitted the Uematsu recommendation.

As for David Wise, I enjoy all three DKC soundtracks, and he worked on both Yooka-Laylee games. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair particularly stands out, which is in many ways a love letter to DKC. He also did the main Battletoads games and did a lot of Rare's early stuff, like Cobra Triangle, RC Pro-Am, and Snake Rattle N' Roll. While those early games are pretty limited compared to later works, I have a lot of nostalgia for them.

I looked up his wiki page, and looks like he's done a lot more than I realized:

Whoops, sorry about that @BattleFlag I misread who submitted the Uematsu recommendation.

As for David Wise, I enjoy all three DKC soundtracks, and he worked on both Yooka-Laylee games. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair particularly stands out, which is in many ways a love letter to DKC. He also did the main Battletoads games and did a lot of Rare's early stuff, like Cobra Triangle, RC Pro-Am, and Snake Rattle N' Roll. While those early games are pretty limited compared to later works, I have a lot of nostalgia for them.

I looked up his wiki page, and looks like he's done a lot more than I realized:

Thanks. I don't remember the music on those NES games, it's been so long since I've played them, I'll have to check them out. I really need to get around to Tropical Freeze and Yooka Laylee. I think I have the first YL for free on PC.

Back