Everything Video Games!

I love rogue-type/rogue-like games for their mindlessness and the progression that most of them include. Starting off with nothing and gaining new weapons, abilities, what-have-you but not having to really pay attention to dialogue or story. It's the perfect type of game to play while listening to an audiobook or watching a Twitch stream on another monitor.

I understand the frustration with roguelikes or roguelites. On the one hand, I really like Binding of Isaac and FTL, however there are games like Dead Cells, where every time you die it feels like you have to go through the chore of retracing your steps through a slightly-different version of the same few starting zones, and it can get really annoying to have to play 45 minutes of game just to get to those 10 minutes that typically kill you.
I hit that point with Dead Cells, and more recently West of Dead. The first bits get really easy, to the point of being boring. I think BoI and Enter the Gungeon nail the formula that works best for the genre, where the run is often harder at the beginning than the end, and you're left to guess throughout whether or not your going to scrape by, become an overpowered monster, or even have a chance to survive. Every run is different, and there's good enough variety from even the base game that no two runs are the same. I've lost tons of runs in both on the first floor.

there are games that also take this same concept but apply them to a top down shooter/dungeon crawler/bullet hell game style like The Binding Of Isaac or Enter The Gungeon. these games have stories, they have a beginning and an ending, they have multiple levels or stages but each run will present you with different rooms and map setups, different weapons and power ups, different enemy locations, etc...

sure some Rogues are just lazy, crappy shovelware but that goes for any genre and isn't specific to Rogue games.
I really need to play both of those. Haven't gotten around to it. Spelunky didn't do much for me even though many people seem to love it.

I really need to play both of those. Haven't gotten around to it. Spelunky didn't do much for me even though many people seem to love it.
I played a lot of Isaac on 3DS (also had it on Wii U) but haven't played it in a few years. Afterbirth is a bit on the pricey side for me but I would get it if it were on a good sale.

Enter the Gungeon is incredibly fun and incredibly challenging (and somewhat similar to Isaac). I put a lot of time into it but haven't played it in a while. my only complaint is that I wish it had online Co-Op and not just couch Co-Op.

Finished Pokemon Sword last night. I thought about doing a longer review, but I'll try to keep it brief. I set a self imposed challenge for this game to only use Pokemon from this gen in my final team. Did a ton of Surprise Trading, and ended up with 258 legit Pokemon caught in the Pokedex, a ton of fake/hacked Pokemon (it's really bad). Around 75 hours playtime.

Final Team:
Rillaboom (named Tomtom): lvl. 75
Obstagoon: lvl. 73
Coalossal (named Coletrain): lvl. 76 - MVP of my team.
Copperajah: lvl. 74
Toxtricity: lvl. 78 - The Pokemon that was made for me, and the first time I've ever used a poison type.
Dragapult (got from trade, had Japanese name): lvl. 68. I spent a ton of time trying to get that 1% chance Dreepy to show, only to get one in a Surprise Trade.

Brief summary of the rest:

The Bad:
*The story overall - kind of bland, things not explained as well as they could have been, telling instead of showing used way too much, final bits of game after getting all the badges felt forced and rushed.
*Lack of legendaries - only two in the game that you can catch.
*Team Yell. Should have been re-branded as a cheering group instead of using "Team" which always implied these were the bad guys.
*Lots of fake/hacked Pokemon in Surprise Trade - lvl. 100 shinies, Pokemon that aren't officially in the game, or both, received almost as much as good Pokemon.
*Music was lacking, except for a couple of standout tracks.

The Good:
*There were a few good story bits that I did enjoy, but they were few and far between.
*Loved the new Pokemon designs.
*"The Grind" was minimized. Shared Exp from catching Pokemon, combined with a ton of variety in the routes and wild areas made leveling not feel like a chore, and more a bonus to catching 'em all. No trouble being at the appropriate level, and the only time I dedicated to grinding specifically was after I got Dreepy, to get it up to level before going after the Champion.
*Wild area is fun, and the weather and day/night cycle mix things up. So close to an open world experience, here's hoping they expand that in the next game.
*Final battle with Hop. Minor spoiler, but I set it up so we had a legendary vs. legendary as the final showdown.

Just got a new diablo-esque roguelike called Curse of the Dead Gods on steam and so far it's super fun. Great clean combat, dope graphics and soundtrack. Great difficulty level too. Not easy but not impossible.

All these previews of the THPS 1+2 Warehouse demo have got me really excited and itching to get my hands on it. But I'm not willing to drop $40 on a pre-order. What's the over-under on Activision making the demo free for everyone in two weeks?

Could you not pre order from amazon, get the code, then cancel your preorder? I forgot what game i did that for but i was able to do it.

Or get that Chipotle promo with the Tony Hawk burrito that comes with a code.

Wonder if they let you get it without the chicken/customize and still get the code...

*just checked, switching it to veggies or sofritas makes it not eligible, sorry veggie eaters!*

Could you not pre order from amazon, get the code, then cancel your preorder? I forgot what game i did that for but i was able to do it.

Amazon isn't doing digital pre-orders for it and the code is only for people who pre-order digitally. Kind of annoying since I've done the same for demos and betas before, too.

Maybe I'll get that burrito for lunch tomorrow. Totally forgot that was a real thing. Hahah.

Since I finished Pokemon, I've decided it's time to work on my New Years Resolution of beating a Soulsborne game. I've restarted Dark Souls on Switch. I've decided to play as a cleric, to match a character from a D&D campaign I'm in. I've never been a big fan of blunt weapons, but the mace is pretty good, and from what I read gets really strong. Things are going well so far, got through the first two bosses no problem last night. Also found a cheese for the first giant boar enemy by mistake. I had made it to the stairs that go down, and decided I needed to go back and deal with it. I got it angled so it charged at the stairwell diagonally, and fell in as I dodged into the open area. I then ran up to attack, and landed on top of it. The game kind of glitched and it did a plunging attack, killing it in one hit. I had tried to do the backstab thing, but it wasn't working (maybe because the mace?).

Anyways, I'm playing this, and I've got Animal Crossing and Collection of Mana as my "cooldown" games. Can't wait to play Trials of Mana in English. I had a rom of it when I was a teen, but couldn't understand it since it was never localized.

Back