Everything Video Games!

Still on BOTW, we set it down for months due to other things; this week my daughter spent time grinding and upgrading, and last night we solved our second Divine Beast, so two to go... so much exploring to do, our map isn't even complete yet.

Haven't killed a single Lynel yet, they are harder than some of the bosses!

Last edited:
Okay after about an hour of playing I’m getting huge Castle in the Sky vibes. Floating islands obviously, but the lost civilization and the constructs who are still working with no purpose also is similar. If you’ve not seen Castle in the Sky it’s the best Studio Ghibli film and my personal favorite movie of all time.

Okay after about an hour of playing I’m getting huge Castle in the Sky vibes. Floating islands obviously, but the lost civilization and the constructs who are still working with no purpose also is similar. If you’ve not seen Castle in the Sky it’s the best Studio Ghibli film and my personal favorite movie of all time.
even the score sometimes evokes Hisaishi

Haven't killed a single Lynel yet, they are harder than some of the bosses!

I was scared silly whenever I saw a Lynel until I watched a video on how to use Flurry Rush. Then I found one and just practiced the side jump and back flip until I got the timing and consistency down. After that they're cake and you'll have more Lynel bows and swords than you can carry.

Also need lots of horns and hoofs and things if you're wanting to upgrade armor at the fairies.

Not sure I remember which you are talking about, but doing the first 4 shrines helps a lot with mobility.

Yeah, I have only one one shrine so far and can't figure out how to get to the next one. I think I need to find some warmer clothing or a recipe to cook the spicy peppers to get across the snowy area and the water. Right now, I don't last long at all in the cold and can't make the trip.

Was hoping that chest was warmer clothing that would help.

Yeah, I have only one one shrine so far and can't figure out how to get to the next one. I think I need to find some warmer clothing or a recipe to cook the spicy peppers to get across the snowy area and the water. Right now, I don't last long at all in the cold and can't make the trip.

Was hoping that chest was warmer clothing that would help.
You don't really need a recipe. Just cooking peppers works great. There is at least one chest with warmer clothing in the beginning sky islands but you won't get it without braving the cold first.

You don't really need a recipe. Just cooking peppers works great. There is at least one chest with warmer clothing in the beginning sky islands but you won't get it without braving the cold first.

So, find that fire and not the cooling pot and drop the peppers on the ground?

Next question. How do I use one of those dang rafts. I can't figure out how to put the power cell into it.

Am I supposed to construct a new raft father than use one of the docked ones?

My first impressions of TotK is that the learning curve is unusually steep. It's sometimes intensive trial and error. a lot of my playtime so far has been figuring out the mechanics and experimenting with them. It's annoying to work a while on building something only to have it not work. Excited for the world to open up though. Understand the need, but the 3-4 hr tutorial area is a bit much.

Last edited:
Next question. How do I use one of those dang rafts. I can't figure out how to put the power cell into it.

Am I supposed to construct a new raft father than use one of the docked ones?
You will need to have the ability to attach things together ..if not you won’t be able to use to traverse the water

I don’t think that it’s too difficult from the start. I did some light exploring but the map kind of guides you into the right direction to learning the Ultrahand and Fuse. Some things I discovered made no sense until I had those two things but you can always go back later and keep exploring. It’s doesn’t hold your hand or provide markers on where to go next which can sometimes be frustrating but I’ve found it easy enough to figure out what to do. Plus when you do finally figure out what to do it’s exciting and rewarding rather than just following the game’s instructions to a T or an online guide. I think that’s what makes these Zelda games so great.

I don’t think that it’s too difficult from the start. I did some light exploring but the map kind of guides you into the right direction to learning the Ultrahand and Fuse. Some things I discovered made no sense until I had those two things but you can always go back later and keep exploring. It’s doesn’t hold your hand or provide markers on where to go next which can sometimes be frustrating but I’ve found it easy enough to figure out what to do. Plus when you do finally figure out what to do it’s exciting and rewarding rather than just following the game’s instructions to a T or an online guide. I think that’s what makes these Zelda games so great.
I agree, I enjoyed the beginning area. My biggest problems so far are that I kept forgetting to think to use Ascend and that I keep pushing up on the d-pad to use powers instead of L. Have been thoroughly enjoying it.

Back