Essence of 14

OMC

The age of 14 in 1964 was a pivot point in my life. Hormones were starting to make sense (ha!) and they dovetailed nicely with music. The song “Louie, Louie” helped turned me on to the mysteries soon to come.
What song put a little groove into your move?
IMG_2778.jpeg

Last edited:
14? That would be 1985 for me. By that time I had gotten into Huey Lewis & The News (Sports), Duran Duran (the three first records), Prince (Purple Rain), Brian Adams (Reckless) and Springsteen (Born In The USA). In 1985 I found an album that I would play to death. Literally. I had a cassette copy that I played on repeat on my little walkman, to the point where the ferrous oxide coating started coming off. The cover was also just risqué enough for the geeky young lad that I was.

IMG_0418.JPG

14? That would be 1985 for me. By that time I had gotten into Huey Lewis & The News (Sports), Duran Duran (the three first records), Prince (Purple Rain), Brian Adams (Reckless) and Springsteen (Born In The USA). In 1985 I found an album that I would play to death. Literally. I had a cassette copy that I played on repeat on my little walkman, to the point where the ferrous oxide coating started coming off. The cover was also just risqué enough for the geeky young lad that I was.

View attachment 181472
Any band with Robert Palmer as the frontman is bound to have some steam and grit. 👍

For me in 1970, I think it would have been listening to Neil Young and James Taylor (in my mind, they weren't that far apart musically at that time) that started me thinking about lives and loves that could be lived that might lead to the kinds of songs they were singing. They were among the first artists I really listened to (as opposed to those whose songs I rotely memorized) and their music had an impact.

That would be 1988 for me, Hoodoo Gurus' Blow Your Cool is from 87 but it pretty much lived in my discman.
"What's my scene" says it all:

"And another thing
I've been wondering lately
Oh, baby,
Tell me where have you been?
Now the stage is set
Where's my Juliet, baby?
Is it maybe
My Midsummer Night's Dream?
What's my scene?

Like a talent scout
I'm always checking out new blood
Oh, I'd do good
If you tell me your game.
Playing Solitaire
Doesn't get me where you would
And, honey, you could
Play by any rules that you care to name.
What's my scene? (I gotta know)"

The loin stirrer of my age 14: weezers blue album.
Looking back at the other albums released and I’m not sure how my loins survived:
The downward spiral (nin)
Superunknown (soundgarden)
Ill communication (beastie boys)
Dookie (Green Day)
Ready to die (notorious big)
Illmatic (nas)
Diary (Sunny day real estate)
Sixteen stone (bush)
Mellow gold (Beck)
Korn self titled
Do you want more (the roots)
Smash (the offspring)

i was mostly listening to emo and pop punk at the time, but i had heard about the big releases of the year from rolling stone, particularly the praise vampire weekend was getting from modern vampires of the city, QOTSA's Like Clockwork, and obviously the impressive noise machine that was Yeezus by that artist we dont talk about anymore. i mostly figured out what pitchfork was by now and was interested in that new disclosure album because of it, as well as looking much more intently at the billboard charts due to learning about a certain man playing piano in the dark. and now at the 10 year mark its impressive how many great albums came out that year, candy claw's ceres and calypso, jon hopkins immunity, tim heckers virgins, MBV's m b v (which now i am surprised that it wasn't more acclaimed at end of the year), 0PNs R+7, and so much i was missing out on that would later be seminal to my music taste

That would be 1988 for me, Hoodoo Gurus' Blow Your Cool is from 87 but it pretty much lived in my discman.
"What's my scene" says it all:

"And another thing
I've been wondering lately
Oh, baby,
Tell me where have you been?
Now the stage is set
Where's my Juliet, baby?
Is it maybe
My Midsummer Night's Dream?
What's my scene?

Like a talent scout
I'm always checking out new blood
Oh, I'd do good
If you tell me your game.
Playing Solitaire
Doesn't get me where you would
And, honey, you could
Play by any rules that you care to name.
What's my scene? (I gotta know)"

So much more sophisticated than my Louie, Louie. 😎

The loin stirrer of my age 14: weezers blue album.
Looking back at the other albums released and I’m not sure how my loins survived:
The downward spiral (nin)
Superunknown (soundgarden)
Ill communication (beastie boys)
Dookie (Green Day)
Ready to die (notorious big)
Illmatic (nas)
Diary (Sunny day real estate)
Sixteen stone (bush)
Mellow gold (Beck)
Korn self titled
Do you want more (the roots)
Smash (the offspring)
What I’m talking about! Yeah!

I understand and respect your connections with those artists. I share them. What I’m thinking of with this thread is not what worked your brains but what stirred your loins? Think 14 year old lust!! 🤪🫣
sadly my sexual desires are not as standard as everyone else.... when sex is mentioned im mostly kinda not there, so my 14 year old lust didn't exist... it waited until i was in my 20s to get even more sick

This thread is the out your own age thread! anyways '98 - I was listening to a lot of (mostly east coast mainstream) rap / hip hop & R&B -
Looking at what came out, that was a great year for hip hop.

Jay-Z Hard Knock Life
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Def Squad - El Nino
DMX - It's Dark & Hell Is Hot
Jurassic 5 - S/T
Onyx - Shut Em Down
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation
Mos Def / Talib Kweli - Black Star
Method Man - Tical 2000
Busta Rhymes - ELE

1979... let me think (being old means we forget some stuff from our teen years)

Freshman in high school, so discovering some new sounds - had been a classic rock FM radio listener for years, with a smattering of Dr. Demento. Forget when I discovered college radio but it was probably around this time, plus hearing more weird stuff from friends which opened my mind to the vastness of music variety.

So in short, nothing specific, but it was definitely new wave and alternative (before the mid-80s when it became mallternative).

Back