Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Pictures 2 and 3 look a tad high on the right. The arm tube needs to spin a wee bit clockwise if viewed from the front.

Have you checked with a level?
Yeah I agree it looks like that but my level app is saying dead on 0.0/0.0. l

Only thing it says is that the tone could come up a touch. But eyeballing the chart from the side it appears the opposite, that it could come down a touch...
It appears to me the stylus has been set by ortofon taking into account the cantilever sag when it hits the vinyl. When off the vinyl the stylus appears SLIGHTLY outturned, but that corrects when the needle hits the groove. I'll check the level again...

Pictures 2 and 3 look a tad high on the right. The arm tube needs to spin a wee bit clockwise if viewed from the front.

Have you checked with a level?
Okay so with the app is showing dead on, but the app is showing EVERYTHING remotely flat in my house as dead on, so the app sucks. My little crappy bubble level is showing this:
20190629_155235.jpgwhich would seem to indicate a VERY slight clockwise turn and the tonearm needs to come up slightly HOWEVER these measurements were all done with the tonearm raised and locked. Correct me if I'm wrong but won't all of these measurements be totally inaccurate unless the tonearm is lowered and the stylus is sitting in the groove of a record? Because right now the tonearm is obviously raised and throwing off the level.

Okay so with the app is showing dead on, but the app is showing EVERYTHING remotely flat in my house as dead on, so the app sucks. My little crappy bubble level is showing this:
View attachment 9123which would seem to indicate a VERY slight clockwise turn and the tonearm needs to come up slightly HOWEVER these measurements were all done with the tonearm raised and locked. Correct me if I'm wrong but won't all of these measurements be totally inaccurate unless the tonearm is lowered and the stylus is sitting in the groove of a record? Because right now the tonearm is obviously raised and throwing off the level.

The azimuth won't change whether the arm is in the arm rest or not. Even if you eyeball it with the CD and make that very slight adjustment, it'll be closer than you are now.

The azimuth won't change whether the arm is in the arm rest or not. Even if you eyeball it with the CD and make that very slight adjustment, it'll be closer than you are now.
Well I adjusted it, a tiny tiny bit. The cart looks to be closer in alignment but the way the cantilever turns outward slightly when playing still kinda looks to me as if the stylus is slightly tilted towards the outside of the record.
20190629_210238.jpg
But if anything it appeared slightly tilted outward before I adjusted it too. But that could just be parralax...

Doesn't sound much different to me. The same right channel fuzz on some albums are still there, I'm inclined to think it's just the pressings. I thought my treble might have been more tinny but that might have just been me thinking too hard... I feel like treble changes would be more likely to occur with tonearm raising or lowering rather than turning side to side?

Well I adjusted it, a tiny tiny bit. The cart looks to be closer in alignment but the way the cantilever turns outward slightly when playing still kinda looks to me as if the stylus is slightly tilted towards the outside of the record.
View attachment 9173
But if anything it appeared slightly tilted outward before I adjusted it too. But that could just be parralax...

Doesn't sound much different to me. The same right channel fuzz on some albums are still there, I'm inclined to think it's just the pressings. I thought my treble might have been more tinny but that might have just been me thinking too hard... I feel like treble changes would be more likely to occur with tonearm raising or lowering rather than turning side to side?

That looks right.

Next step- un hang your anti skate weight and play a problem pressing. If the problem is solved, we know you had too much anti skate. If so, I'd set it for the lowest anti skate you can- you need some, but many manufacturers specify an excessive amount.

That looks right.

Next step- un hang your anti skate weight and play a problem pressing. If the problem is solved, we know you had too much anti skate. If so, I'd set it for the lowest anti skate you can- you need some, but many manufacturers specify an excessive amount.
Okay cool, I'll give that a shot when I get home from work. Thanks again.

That looks right.

Is it normal that when the needle drops that the cart doesn't settle straight down but rather slightly towards the outside edge of the record with the cantilever bent slightly inwards? It's more pronounced when dropped on a stationary record, when the record is spinning it seems to tilt less. My Ort Bronze does the same thing. I would say the azimuth is off but if that was the case I'd have to be spinning it counterclockwise which definitely isn't right. Platter is level where the needle drops but perhaps it needs to be raised on the right hand side to counter?

EDIT - The more I look at comparable pics online the more it appears this is just the way the 2M cantilever behaves. I guess as long as the stylus is vertical in the groove as it appears to be from my pics that everything is fine. Not to mention I would imagine I'd be hearing groove distortion if it was an issue.

Last edited:
Is it normal that when the needle drops that the cart doesn't settle straight down but rather slightly towards the outside edge of the record with the cantilever bent slightly inwards? It's more pronounced when dropped on a stationary record, when the record is spinning it seems to tilt less. My Ort Bronze does the same thing. I would say the azimuth is off but if that was the case I'd have to be spinning it counterclockwise which definitely isn't right. Platter is level where the needle drops but perhaps it needs to be raised on the right hand side to counter?

EDIT - The more I look at comparable pics online the more it appears this is just the way the 2M cantilever behaves. I guess as long as the stylus is vertical in the groove as it appears to be from my pics that everything is fine. Not to mention I would imagine I'd be hearing groove distortion if it was an issue.

QC isn't the best that I've seen on on the 2m series- you can't judge anything by the way the cantilever points. I wanted you to adjust your azimuth because it's pretty much always off. Try the anti skate test I've proposed to eliminate your problem.

QC isn't the best that I've seen on on the 2m series- you can't judge anything by the way the cantilever points. I wanted you to adjust your azimuth because it's pretty much always off. Try the anti skate test I've proposed to eliminate your problem.
If you had a choice of cart to go with my system, anything $1000 USD and under. What would you pick?

If you had a choice of cart to go with my system, anything $1000 USD and under. What would you pick?

What's your system (sorry- way too many systems in my head to remember yours) and what kind of sound do you want?

As an example of sound- some are detail freaks- a chair squeaked- or a gnat farted and they want to know.

Others (like me) don't care anymore about that- been there. All that matters is music.

What's your system (sorry- way too many systems in my head to remember yours) and what kind of sound do you want?

As an example of sound- some are detail freaks- a chair squeaked- or a gnat farted and they want to know.

Others (like me) don't care anymore about that- been there. All that matters is music.
Sorry, my system is in my signature. Should be at the bottom of the message. I like detail which is why I have the 2M Black. But it's definitely very unforgiving to bad pressings...

Ortofon 2M Black | Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB | Rega Aria | Arcam 550 | Revel F35 Speakers | Revel B10 Sub
BIS Vivat Speaker Cables & RCA Interconnects