Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

If you only watch sports in there, why not just go to a 2.1 integrated with good room correction like Lyngdorf TDAI series?

A large part of the reason I’m willing to go spends on a Luxman is there is no digital processing/DAC that goes defunct and tanks its value or causes more headaches.
Well basically because I already have the 5.1 speakers all installed, and I do watch shows as well, but movies mainly downstairs.

If you only watch sports in there, why not just go to a 2.1 integrated with good room correction like Lyngdorf TDAI series?

A large part of the reason I’m willing to go spends on a Luxman is there is no digital processing/DAC that goes defunct and tanks its value or causes more headaches.
That's good point on the Integrated though, the digital stuff will lower the value big time, even though I really don't need any of it. Except of course. The HT bypass.... I guess I could do a switch but I really don't like the idea of introducing a switch into my audio flowchart.

That's good point on the Integrated though, the digital stuff will lower the value big time, even though I really don't need any of it. Except of course. The HT bypass.... I guess I could do a switch but I really don't like the idea of introducing a switch into my audio flowchart.

Or, just to mess with your analysis, have you looked at the Mac MHT300? It’s getting rave reviews, would replace the Arcam, be a bump up in sound quality, and, you said you always wanted a Mac.

Or, just to mess with your analysis, have you looked at the Mac MHT300? It’s getting rave reviews, would replace the Arcam, be a bump up in sound quality, and, you said you always wanted a Mac.
I was actually just looking at the Mac 5300 which wouldn't replace the Arcam but would hold it's value a bit better than the MHT300 but yes those two are the kinda two options from Mac that wouldn't break the bank entirely.... Anything above the 5300 gets into silly territory. (I mean it's all really silly territory I suppose). But yeah that's a consideration however it doesn't have that pure Mac look that I've always wanted. You know. The one where it looks like a giant glowing green tank that you would gladly let swallow your soul as long as you get to push it's big light up buttons and I've said too much...

Last edited:
I was actually just looking at the Mac 5300 which wouldn't replace the Arcam but would hold it's value a bit better than the MHT300 but yes those two are the kinda two options from Mac that wouldn't break the bank entirely.... Anything above the 5300 gets into silly territory. (I mean it's all really silly territory I suppose). But yeah that's a consideration however it doesn't have that pure Mac look that I've always wanted. You know. The one where it looks like a giant glowing green tank that you would gladly let swallow your soul as long as you get to push it's big light up buttons and I've said too much...
Mad old convo going on in here. I home demoed a Luxman a few years back. It was only the cheapo £4 grand one (think it was a 505). Was absolutely brilliant but I was convinced doggo would plot to take it down. Also…you know…. didn’t have 4 grand in readies. But if I had I’d be sitting here saying ‘I love my luxman. You should totally get it’.

Most if not all the Musical Fidelity line have a HT Bypass.............just puttin' it out there :)
1702560930416.png

My cat can confirm that the Luxman gets very warm. I bought this the day I found him sleeping on it when I forgot to turn it off.
The aesthetic might be worse but at least I don’t have the heart attack of seeing him on it anymore.
View attachment 190397
Hilarious. Years ago I had a cat that loved to sleep on the cable box. But every few months she would vomit on it. Then the vomit would seep through the top vents into the chassis and fry the box.

I would then take the fried box back to Time Warner cable and exchange it for a new unit. I must have done that 10-15 times, but those TW boxes were poorly made and failed so often that they never once questioned or charged me.

I miss that cat, but I don't miss cable

Last edited:
Hilarious. Years ago I had a cat that loved to sleep on the cable box. But every few months she would vomit on it. Then the vomit would seep through the top vents into the chassis and fry the box.

I would then take the fried box back to Time Warner cable and exchange it for a new unit. I must have done that 10-15 times, but those TW boxes were poorly made and failed so often that they never once questioned or charged me.

I miss that cat, but I don't miss cable
That is a great story and also my worst fear with my amp!

Okay sorry to kind of take over this thread for the past day, I got a lotta questions. One more for y'all. This is the back of the McIntosh 5300. I know it can do the HT Bypass but what I'm wondering is, subwoofer. I only have a L&R RCA Input on mine. I don't see any way to connect it to this amp while I have the HT Bypass connected.

MA5300 Back.jpg

Or is it the "PWR AMP INPUT" the would be the HT Bypass that runs to the Arcam and the Pre Amp Output would go to the sub? But I feel like that's not correct. Halp?

Okay sorry to kind of take over this thread for the past day, I got a lotta questions. One more for y'all. This is the back of the McIntosh 5300. I know it can do the HT Bypass but what I'm wondering is, subwoofer. I only have a L&R RCA Input on mine. I don't see any way to connect it to this amp while I have the HT Bypass connected.

View attachment 190410

Or is it the "PWR AMP INPUT" the would be the HT Bypass that runs to the Arcam and the Pre Amp Output would go to the sub? But I feel like that's not correct. Halp?

Not to the sub you own correct. This amp will only play ball with a sub that supports a hi level input direct from the speaker taps.

Back