Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I wonder if I could just slap one of those going into my conditioner. It says to go component to component on the website but of course it does, that means you have to buy five instead of one. Don't see why it wouldn't be fine going into the SurgeX
I actually tried running the Audiolab DC Block off my filter bank first, but something didn't sound right with it. The channels were out of balance. So I did as the product instructions said and plugged it directly into the mains and that's what did the trick. It has its own filtering as well as a DC blocker. Was listening to my system last night and I have to admit the results are impressive.

Say I have a Pro-ject Debut something or other turntable that I bought 20-odd years ago.

I've read around and my thinking that the next worthwhile upgrade would be something like the Rega Planar 6, or around that price range. Is my thinking along the right lines, what other turntables should I be looking at?

I can't afford anything at the moment, so this will not be a rushed decision, but I like looking at shiny things.

Say I have a Pro-ject Debut something or other turntable that I bought 20-odd years ago.

I've read around and my thinking that the next worthwhile upgrade would be something like the Rega Planar 6, or around that price range. Is my thinking along the right lines, what other turntables should I be looking at?

I can't afford anything at the moment, so this will not be a rushed decision, but I like looking at shiny things.
Since you're in the UK, Rega tables are really nice for the money. Less of a deal across the pond, unfortunately.

I went from a project debut carbon EVP to a rega p6. I just added the groovetracer subplatter and delrin platter to the rega. The rega with ania cart is a MASSIVE upgrade. The groovetracer products took the table to a whole other level from where it was before.

I love the p6.

Since you're in the UK, Rega tables are really nice for the money. Less of a deal across the pond, unfortunately.

I went from a project debut carbon EVP to a rega p6. I just added the groovetracer subplatter and delrin platter to the rega. The rega with ania cart is a MASSIVE upgrade. The groovetracer products took the table to a whole other level from where it was before.

I love the p6.
Thank you both, I do like the look of the Rega P6 :)

Well looks like Parasounds new ownership may be going to a direct to consumer model (blech)
Would be hard for me to drop the cash for a pair of JC1s in a direct to consumer model. It works for brands like Schiit, but I’m not clear that it will work for Parasound.

A pair of Tyrs (*ahem*) cost less than one A21 in current channels.

Would be hard for me to drop the cash for a pair of JC1s in a direct to consumer model. It works for brands like Schiit, but I’m not clear that it will work for Parasound.

Yeah it's not exactly thrilling. I figured the new ownership could go one of two ways. The fact that the local distributer dropped them faster than 3rd period French makes me think it's the... bad way.

That being said I would still have the warranty through the shop I'm buying it at, so at least I wouldn't have to worry about the direct model if they go that route.

I think they’ve hired a chief engineer from PS Audio who also sell direct to customer in the states. Perhaps he brought those ideas over with him…

Audiolab sells one box with six dc blockers in it:

The DC blocking claim is fine, but the “radical improvement in mains quality” seems to be hyperbole, to me.
You can get the same thing from Emotiva with 2 outlets for a lot less money- $82.

Not sure exactly. I do know if you have gear with buzzing transformers, it’s likely DC on the power line. I have the Emotiva just in case. It can’t hurt.
Plugged my Fluke VOM into an outlet behind the equipment rack and am seeing rapidly changing readings of .002v to .008v which, I think, equates to a high of 80mv. The audiolab ad says less than 500mv can cause problems. I’m just not sure my measuring method is the way to do it.

Plugged my Fluke VOM into an outlet behind the equipment rack and am seeing rapidly changing readings of .002v to .008v which, I think, equates to a high of 80mv. The audiolab ad says less than 500mv can cause problems. I’m just not sure my measuring method is the way to do it.
That makes sense to me.

Having had a few days with the NAD, I’m very happy. My good pressings shine. The stage is wider. I think I’ve lost some bass but I think that was coloration. It’s not like I feel like it’s missing from the nad, I just think it was increased on the Sony (I think I may have even had a boost on). Everything is tighter. Separation is better. Imaging can be down right amazing.

Starting to understand some of y’all’s hate for lesser pressings/recordings though. I’ve already made mention of how the production of the new Durand Jones is keeping it from being my AOTY. On the Sony, it didn’t sound any better or worse than the streaming. Playing it on the NAD was like hearing it for the first time again except there was no feeling that something was wrong with my set up, it was clear that it is the recording and I imagine that it will be much like Bridger’s Punisher moving forward and hold a place in my collection but not get played very often.

Stuff like rhino hi-fis, tone poets, acoustic sound series, etc are a lot of fun to listen to though.

Having had a few days with the NAD, I’m very happy. My good pressings shine. The stage is wider. I think I’ve lost some bass but I think that was coloration. It’s not like I feel like it’s missing from the nad, I just think it was increased on the Sony (I think I may have even had a boost on). Everything is tighter. Separation is better. Imaging can be down right amazing.

Starting to understand some of y’all’s hate for lesser pressings/recordings though. I’ve already made mention of how the production of the new Durand Jones is keeping it from being my AOTY. On the Sony, it didn’t sound any better or worse than the streaming. Playing it on the NAD was like hearing it for the first time again except there was no feeling that something was wrong with my set up, it was clear that it is the recording and I imagine that it will be much like Bridger’s Punisher moving forward and hold a place in my collection but not get played very often.

Stuff like rhino hi-fis, tone poets, acoustic sound series, etc are a lot of fun to listen to though.

It might not even be the recording. Secretly Group has a real flair for shit pressings. The hi res digital of Punisher, for example, is so far ahead of the vinyl it’s pretty commical all things considered. That’s said I didn’t think my copy of this one was too bad but I was doing other things both times I spun it.

Back