Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I love CDs more than most, and kinda hope they "come back" (though buying used ones for a few dollars each in the last couple years has been amazing, and I don't necessarily want those to go way up in price like used vinyl did!), but I'm not sure one year of a small increase in sales, when both Adele and Taylor Swift put out new albums, is sign of a trend.

More people probably are recognizing that renting their music from tech companies that don't actually care about music is a bad idea, and we've seen the increase in young people discovering the value of physical media, but CDs still don't have the "cool" factor of vinyl and probably never will. They're not as good for displaying. What were the numbers of people who bought vinyl who didn't even listen to it over the last couple years? I remember it being pretty staggering.

This recent Rolling Stone article covers a lot of things I love about them (box sets, especially).

Meanwhile, I'll be working on convincing my partner that buying a CD player in the year of our Lord 2022 is not a waste of money.

(Also one of the biggest pluses of CDs over vinyl is that the margins are way bigger for most artists! But Ryley Walker touting and pushing them isn't really a movement yet apart from a very specific sub-section of Twitter, from what I can tell.)
CDs never left, even if its popularity decreased significantly over the last decade or so, its value on the other hand is a much different story.

CDs never left, even if its popularity decreased significantly over the last decade or so, its value on the other hand is a much different story.
Of course, neither did vinyl. I never really stopped buying CDs completely. We're talking about their value and popularity, though. Right now it still feels very much like my early days of digging through vinyl stacks in the mid- to late-'00s. Now those same used records go for 4-5x the price.

Yeah it has never dropped below vinyl in terms of units shifted either. Profits and turnover yes because vinyl is more expensive and has bigger margins, but units no.

It also has the person of a certain age factor. It can’t be underestimated just how big a portion of the overall market the people who maybe are a generation after streamings core and that just go into the CD store to buy 3 or 4 a year are.

My current CD player probably needs to be upgraded. It’s a mid 90’s Sony player/recorder. One side doesn’t work properly, but them modern players can be pricey.
I took a box full of hundreds CD (pretty much my entire collection) to my local and traded them in for store credit and haven’t looked back. Something about the ease of burning MP3s to CD-R really cheapened the whole format for me. I doubt I will ever return to the CDs.

Wake me up when the Minidisc revolution begins.

I took a box full of hundreds CD (pretty much my entire collection) to my local and traded them in for store credit and haven’t looked back. Something about the ease of burning MP3s to CD-R really cheapened the whole format for me. I doubt I will ever return to the CDs.

Wake me up when the Minidisc revolution begins.

Between my wife and I, we probably have 1,000+ CDs. I’m not really interested in replacing them with the vinyl and they’re probably not all available on the vinyl. What I need to do is go through and get rid of the ones that I haven’t listened to or are no longer my thing. Acquiring things is fun and a drag.

I'm not generally a huge fan of Hyden, but I think he (and Ryley) nails it here: Ask A Music Critic: Is The CD Revival For Real?:

"“We’ve sort of been propagandized to believe LPs are the only pure form of music,” [Ryley] told me. “I respect anybody’s choice to listen to music however they want. But LPs are just getting more expensive and pushing out the kids and true heads a.k.a. the people I want to hear the fucking music.”"

"A roadblock for a real CD revival is that the media for years has essentially written off the format as a product for Luddites and nostalgists, while consistently providing the vinyl market with boosterish coverage. That was already true when I wrote my CD defense eight years ago, when vinyl sales were a fraction of what they are now. The glorification of vinyl (and the marginalization of CDs) didn’t just begin in the past few years. It’s been an ongoing project, I suspect, that all along has been quietly cheered on by the music industry, given the CDs are relatively inexpensive and have minimal cachet."

Do your part to save independent music! Maybe we need a CD thread.

I'm not generally a huge fan of Hyden, but I think he (and Ryley) nails it here: Ask A Music Critic: Is The CD Revival For Real?:

"“We’ve sort of been propagandized to believe LPs are the only pure form of music,” [Ryley] told me. “I respect anybody’s choice to listen to music however they want. But LPs are just getting more expensive and pushing out the kids and true heads a.k.a. the people I want to hear the fucking music.”"

"A roadblock for a real CD revival is that the media for years has essentially written off the format as a product for Luddites and nostalgists, while consistently providing the vinyl market with boosterish coverage. That was already true when I wrote my CD defense eight years ago, when vinyl sales were a fraction of what they are now. The glorification of vinyl (and the marginalization of CDs) didn’t just begin in the past few years. It’s been an ongoing project, I suspect, that all along has been quietly cheered on by the music industry, given the CDs are relatively inexpensive and have minimal cachet."

Do your part to save independent music! Maybe we need a CD thread.
Do it. I think I am gonna start a Cassette Tape thread here eventually. Tapes suck worse than CDs in almost every way but I have had a great time collecting them listening to them over the past 4-5 years.

Do it. I think I am gonna start a Cassette Tape thread here eventually. Tapes suck worse than CDs but I have had a great time collecting them listening to them over the past 4-5 years.

Now I’m getting PTSD from Walkmans eating my tapes and needing detangling skills and a pencil at all times just to listen to some tunes on the bus.

Do it. I think I am gonna start a Cassette Tape thread here eventually. Tapes suck worse than CDs in almost every way but I have had a great time collecting them listening to them over the past 4-5 years.

I think that format doesn’t need a revival but my player is nice to look at. 😂

Back