Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

If you are going to upgrade, then upgrade. I see a side step (Marantz) or downgrade (Cambridge).
The Yamaha Natural Sound amps are a pretty good amp in the end and you have the tone controls you need.

Some like the new Audiolab 6000A, @MikeH has one with his Linton's

Have you thought about trying a external phono stage like a Darlington ?

For @HiFi Guy and others here, what is the next step up from the mid priced Marantz, NAD, Yamaha, etc equivalents for integrateds ?

The Yamaha Natural Sound amps are a pretty good amp in the end and you have the tone controls you need.

Some like the new Audiolab 6000A, @MikeH has one with his Linton's

For @HiFi Guy and others here, what is the next step up from the mid priced Marantz, NAD, Yamaha, etc equivalents for integrateds ?
@Hollywood @MacDonals

The way I see it, to get a true upgrade (in most cases) you have to go double from where you start. Amp wise, for the LS50, I’d look strongly towards a big step up in the Yamaha line. Normally, I’d say Rogue Sphinx III, but no tone controls which was requested. And with the LS50, tone controls aren’t a bad idea.

Exceptions to the “double the money” rule? Lintons, Grado cartridges (not better just different for more money, and if you like the Grado sound, more money on another brand may just buy disappointment.)

That's great to hear. I must admit, I found my shortlist of amps by scouring this and the Linton thread to see what other people were running and I first saw that name in one of your posts.

Yep, saw this one as well, thanks. Think I'm going with the Audiolab at this juncture, but maybe I'll be able to demo the Leak one day or @wmeugene will be able to add to our collective wisdom :)
I did a thing and should be able to add to our collective wisdom in a week or so.

@Hollywood @MacDonals

The way I see it, to get a true upgrade (in most cases) you have to go double from where you start. Amp wise, for the LS50, I’d look strongly towards a big step up in the Yamaha line. Normally, I’d say Rogue Sphinx III, but no tone controls which was requested. And with the LS50, tone controls aren’t a bad idea.

Exceptions to the “double the money” rule? Lintons, Grado cartridges (not better just different for more money, and if you like the Grado sound, more money on another brand may just buy disappointment.)
But my Marantz pm8006 should be more than capable of driving the Lintons right?

But my Marantz pm8006 should be more than capable of driving the Lintons right?

Absolutely, it handles a 4ohm load and there is plenty of power, the Linton’s are relatively efficient so don’t need bags. You’ve 100Watts at 4ohm, I’m running my PL in triode mode so I’m powering them off 25Watts no problem.

I sold a piece of equipment and found an open box Stereo Leak 130 on Music Direct. Out of pocket was less than the Audiolab, so I had to do it, right? Right?
200.gif

I probably would have done that too. I do like the audiolab quite a lot so far though especially at the open box price I found.

Wasn't planning on jumping so quickly, but the open box discount was worth jumping on. Looking forward to the synergy with the Lintons!
Same thing happened to me with both the Lintons and audiolab hah. Noticed prices going up on both everywhere I looked so I was able to find the old Linton price with free shipping + no tax (with an assist from @Russ I who found them). And the audiolab popped up on ebay as a used/like new for a really good price + free shipping. my wife was fine with it because i had been saving up for new speakers/amp and she said it makes more sense to buy before the prices go up since i was gonna buy both eventually anyway haha.

The phono stage is being upgraded as well. The MM-6 is being built as we speak.
@Hollywood @MacDonals
I think this is fair. The Yamaha brings a lot of power, got it for $550, so I thought I was doubling with the Marantz PM7000N or the Cambridge CXA81.

I appreciate the advice and will probably pause my purchase until I'm better informed, or my Audio Fund is uh, better funded...

Back