Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

well then...that changes everything. are most other belt drives that easy to switch back and forth too?
The ones with the motor that aren’t under the platter are typically pretty easy to deal with, but the MoFi in particular is extremely fuss free. And I’m a big fan of the Orbit, but that’s certainly its Achilles Heel. That and the noisy motor.

Agreed, however my love of Marantz and Denon is not shared by everyone else and I'd agree there are cheaper high-performing options out there.
Wait what!? I absolutely 💯 ♥ my Marantz PM8006 Integrated amp!!!! Marantz is a solid brand when it comes to amplifiers as does his little brother Denon with AV receivers! So does that make us bros now 😉

Wait what!? I absolutely 💯 ♥ my Marantz PM8006 Integrated amp!!!! Marantz is a solid brand when it comes to amplifiers as does his little brother Denon with AV receivers! So does that make us bros now 😉
The KI Ruby was the best amp I heard for under about £3k when I thought my M6i was goosed. It's phenomenal . Class D Marantz is the dogs bollocks!

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy my MF got a repair but I'd have been happy as with the Ki if it had come to it

Marantz/Denon make some nice stuff but there does come a point in their line for amplifiers where there are better options for the same money. Sub $1,000 they’re always well in the conversation.

What they’re excelling at right now is digital disc players. The optical drive in their higher end SACD/CD players is being supplied to some seriously high end manufacturers to use in their own players and transports.

The KI Ruby was the best amp I heard for under about £3k when I thought my M6i was goosed. It's phenomenal . Class D Marantz is the dogs bollocks!

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy my MF got a repair but I'd have been happy as with the Ki if it had come to it

I’d find it very difficult to spend that money and not go class A, and probably tube, to be honest.

I’d find it very difficult to spend that money and not go class A, and probably tube, to be honest.
Maybe, although if its a bit cold I can just hug the dog rather than getting an amp to heat the house.

Plus I don't know enough about the other side of things to dive into tubes and there is nowhere really to demo. I'd be buying blind and it's a load of cash for that sort of risk

Maybe, although if its a bit cold I can just hug the dog rather than getting an amp to heat the house.

Plus I don't know enough about the other side of things to dive into tubes and there is nowhere really to demo. I'd be buying blind and it's a load of cash for that sort of risk
Hahaha! But I’ve not had to turn the gas on in two years. I might have the electricity bill of a small cloud data centre but lets forget that...

In all seriousness the likes of Prima Lunas have made tube amps a lot less finicky and much more user friendly than perhaps their reputation. That said I totally get not wanting to buy without first trying at that price!

Hahaha! But I’ve not had to turn the gas on in two years. I might have the electricity bill of a small cloud data centre but lets forget that...

In all seriousness the likes of Prima Lunas have made tube amps a lot less finicky and much more user friendly than perhaps their reputation. That said I totally get not wanting to buy without first trying at that price!
Speaking of PrimaLuna, I’ve learned a lesson. It’s not worth it to save a few bucks over getting tested/burned in tubes, in my case from Upscale Audio.

Last December I bought a matched octet of output tubes. Last week, the amp shut down the left channel. I had a bad tube light illuminated. I needed a replacement and ended up ordering a pair from Upscale. They arrived Saturday. Last night the amp shut down again. I replaced the tube and all is well. Easy peasy.

I think the tubes should have lasted far longer, especially in this amp. In any event, it wasn’t worth the $50 I saved to get them somewhere else. I’m sticking with Uncle Kevin/Upscale from here on.

Hey @Crabbers I will add my vote to the NAD C326BEE as a solid option to upgrade from the Onkyo. It was a huge difference on the low end and with drums especially even with just the ELAC bookshelf speakers.

I'll also say I'm eying the StudioDeck as the next logical upgrade to the system (along with a Grado Gold). So if anyone sees a good deal, just go ahead and @ me.

@folsom_lives Have you seen the StudioDeck Foundation? @AnthonyI came upon it a couple months ago - appears to be the same table without different feet and sans dustcover, includes a StudioTracker for $999.

No dust cover brings a 😒🙄 combo out. I think I’d rather sans cart and just pick my own.

Edit: Also googling studiodeck foundation brought me to studio tech foundation make up 😂

Back