Enoch's Interview Thread

Enoch

Currently closed

Welcome to my interview thread were
unlucky souls adventurous people volunteer to be interviewed by me.

Here is how it works:*

There is a list of standard questions, which you can probably figure out by reading the interviews. There are also follow-ups.
A new interview will post on the first of each month (or thereabouts)

There is a preferred option and an other option for how the interview will be conducted.

Preferred option:**
The interview will be held over a live chat service (google hangouts, skype, discord, etc.)*** Interviewees will receive the standard questions prior to the interview so you can prepare responses if so desired.

An other option:
The interview will be conducted in three parts. I will send the first set of questions via PM. Once returned the second set of questions with some follow-ups will go out. Once returned the third set will go out also with follow-ups.

There aren't any real rules on how to answer the questions. I only ask you be conscious of others when answering anything I deem insensitive I will give you an opportunity to change it or if it seems to irredeemable I may have to cancel the interview (please do not put me in that situation).

* This is a change from how the first 23 interviews were done (the 24th is a special interview)
** The flow is better for these
***This option usually takes 2-2.5 hours, so I suggest setting aside 3 hours, however, the interview can be split up in two live sessions.

Last edited:
Completed interviews:

@Mather Interview 1: here
@NathanRicaud Interview 2: here
@Tyr Interview 3: here
@jaycee Interview 4
@duke86fan Interview 5: here
@JonnyH Interview 6: here
@Chucktshoes Interview 7: here
@ModernCyrus Interview 8: here
@Melancholy_Melody Interview 9: here
@roger Interview 10: here
@Joe Mac Interview 11: here
@AndySlash Interview 12: here
@ThePakoBuelna Interview 13: here
@Count_Vader Interview 14: here
@ranbalam Interview 15: here
@David A. Interview 16: here
@AnthonyI Interview 17: here
@Teeeee Interview 18: here
@Jake! Interview 19: here
@HiFi Guy Interview 20: here
@Bennnnn Interview 21: here
@GritNGlitter Interview 22: here
@Selaws Interview 23: here

The above were conducted on the now-defunct VMP forum.

Now for something completely different:

Interview 24: here

Interviews originated here:
@Lee Newman Interview 25: here

Last edited:
How big of a pain is it to copy the last few interviews over to here? I didn't get to read all of GnG's interview and anyone that came after that.

How big of a pain is it to copy the last few interviews over to here? I didn't get to read all of GnG's interview and anyone that came after that.

not bad to copy them to a doc, I will have to see how hard it is to copy them on to here

@Enoch do you still have the old list of those yet to be interviewed? Because I'm still interested but I would be on there as 'TheGun'.

I do, but I will probably ask people to recontact me as user names may have changed - will work on getting that info in the first posts

Interview 1:

I would like to thank @Mather for agreeing to be the first person interviewed in these series.

Mather is well known here on the forum even if he is newer to VMP and collecting vinyl in general. It is nice to see that his magnetism for warped records hasn’t warped his sense of humor (or has it?).

I present to you the first part of his interview. I will let you decide what to believe.

How did you find this VMP forum? (Were you already a VMP member? Did you find the forum first and join VMP? Do you even subscribe to VMP?)

Upon awakening the morning of November 8th 2017 at my encampment on the outskirts of the Peruvian jungle I was alerted to a sound coming from the low underbrush to the northwest of our position. My trusty junglecat friend Pouncer lightly pawed my arm as I emerged from our tent.​
"There's movement about 150 feet off, heading 2 o'clock." He growled to me, all the while staying laser focused on an unseen point in the distance...​
"It's getting closer." he rumbled warily.​
"Steady old friend." I reassured him, "We can handle anything this jungle cares to throw at us, but it's too early yet for a fight... I haven't even had my morning bracer." Eyeballing a tarnished flask that lay next to the now smouldering fire, I fished the single remaining bullet from my pocket and sent it into the hollow chamber of my weathered revolver.​
"One left." I said wistfully. "I was planning to save this for that double crossing bastard S.C. Fulfilament, but perhaps... he will have to wait."​
The noise was louder now, urgent almost. The size was growing, or at least seemed to be. Trees were pushed aside like twigs, whatever this was... it was big.​

The birds had gone silent, something that did not escape Pouncers keen feline senses.​
"I don't like this." he snarled "The last time this happened I barely got out with my whiskers, and you've still got that gimp leg." he said grinning at me.​
"Who are you calling a gimp, you pussycat?" I muttered back with a smirk.​
At that moment the bank of trees to our left exploded with a force that momentarily knocked the air from my lungs.​
When standing on his hind legs Pouncer would tower over most men by several feet but he was dwarfed by the creature that emerged from the now shattered forest threshold.​
It was massive, and loud... so very loud. Like 10,000 voices all talking, and shouting, at once.​
As it loped slowly towards us I cautiously moved my right hand towards the worn grip of my revolver. The noise was deafening now. Sensing a need to put forth some sort of a dialogue I gathered what breath remained in my body and shouted one solitary word as loudly as I could muster.​

"NAME?"​
Upon hearing the word the creature paused, and the thunderous discord changed. It appeared to be concentrating, and the cacophony of noise started to take form. Within it individual voices started to become clear. It, or they; were trying... almost struggling, to speak as one. The garbled deafening racket began to take shape. And from within it I heard one single word spoken back in response.​
"FORUM." It said.​
So... I like to think, in a way... the forum found me.​

When did you first start collecting vinyl? (Do remember what the first one(s) was?)

Centuries ago, in a universe not unlike our own, at the outer reaches of a distant galaxy there lay a planet... lay... hmm... not lay... floated? No...existed? There EXISTED a planet, a unique planet... a planet not unlike our ow-wait no I already used that... Alright screw it I started December 17th of last year when I bought my TT. HAPPY NOW?​

What is your current listening setup? What equipment do you have? Do listen alone, only with others, or some combo?

Currently my setup involves a series of spinning plates of varying diameters placed at precise intervals and locations around my living area that optimize the room acoustics for the most transcendental listening experience conceivable by man. It's tough to keep them spinning by hand while pouring drinks but we all do what we must for the hobbies we love.​

What is your current goal in buying/receiving/collecting vinyl? (Do you focus on collectibles? Do you only buy what you like? Do buy what you think you might like?)

My current goal in buying/collecting/receiving vinyl is to have more records than Jesus.​

Are there any bands/artists you automatically buy on vinyl regardless? (Do buy multiples copies - all the different variants?)

Anything by Sleazepunk kings "Thomas Medicine and The Flaming Kites"​

What is your favorite record in your collection?

"Thomas Medicine and The Flaming Kites" debut album "I Hate You Get Me Some Tea, No Not That One The Other One, Nevermind I'll Get It Myself"​

What record means the most to you? (if different from the above)

Stated above, for obvious reasons but also because of Thomas's insistence on using a vial of his own blood mixed in with the vinyl during the pressing of their debut album. Which inadvertently turned the entire release into a biohazard which was immediately destroyed by the authorities. I have the only copy which was smuggled out of Brighton on the back of an opossum.​

If you were allowed to freely receive any record you currently don’t have, what would it be?

I'd like to hold the world record for most awesome.​

I enjoyed reading @Mather ’s responses to the first part but I just had to know…

What happened to the creature from question one?

You'll have to purchase my forthcoming book to find out.​

What other Sleazepunk bands would you recommend?

After you hear Thomas Medicine And The Flaming Kites, there are no others.​

What drink do you normally pour yourself whilst hand turning your spinning plates?

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster with a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick for garnish​

What song/album would describe your personality?

The White Album​

What song/album best describe your beliefs? (Spiritual, Emotional, Existential, Whatever)

You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly - Loretta Lynn​

If you met someone who has never heard music ever, what album would you play for them first?

S Club 7 "Audition Demos Vol 7."​

What question would you like to ask Nathan? (next to be interviewed)

What are you?​

Last edited:
Interview 2

I don’t feel like I should include an introduction as Nathan says it all in his responses. That shouldn’t be surprising as while he is newer to the forum I would bet in a very unscientific way he has typed more words than anyone else. So…

How did you find this VMP forum? (Were you already a VMP member? Did you find the forum first and join VMP? Do you even subscribe to VMP?)

I found this VMP forum because I was super eager to know in advance what the 2018 April Essentials ROTM would be. I typed in Google ‘Vinyl Me Please 2018 April Essentials Record of the Month’, and then one of the first links was an ‘2018 April guess thread’. I clicked on the link and then just explored the forum from there and was like “WOOOOAH, this is a whole new world”. I was excited to know there were clues from a staff member for the April Essentials 2018 guess thread and that people were trying to decipher the clues from the VMP staff member (@Storf ). Yes, I was already a VMP member from late 2017 so I had already joined VMP (stumbled across VMP because I had sh** pressings from 4 Men With Beards and typed in ‘great reissue vinyl pressings companies and labels’….and Vinyl Me, Please came up!). I am subscribed to all 3 VMP tracks (100% subscription with Classics & Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM’s, about 80% subscription to Essentials ROTM’s).

When did you first start collecting vinyl? (Do remember what the first one(s) was?)

I first started collecting vinyl sometime in late 2017! Vinyl was just really popular and I didn’t know great vinyl pressings were considered superior to CD’s. After finding out that vinyl (considering you have a great setup and quality pressings of the records you own) is the best way to listen to music, I was hooked! Maxwell’s “Urban Hangsuite”, D’angelo’s “Voodoo”, Erykah Badu’s “Baduizm”, Leon Ware’s ‘Musical Massage’, Marvin Gaye’s ‘I Want You’ & Sadé’s ‘Love Deluxe’ were my first records I bought. It was a very sexy collection to start off

What is your current listening setup? What equipment do you have? Do listen alone, only with others, or some combo?

Turntable = Rega Planar 3 (2016)
Amplifier = Rega Brio (2017)
Cartridge = Elys 2
Cables/Wires = QED Reference XT40
Bookshelf Speakers = Dynadio Emit M10 + Auralex ProPAD Speaker Isolation Pads (as my bookshelf speakers sit on my Kallax shelf and need isolation)

I mainly listen alone, but my siblings will sometimes just walk into my room and hang out with me and my friends usually come over and there’s vinyl on. Some of my friends have different music tastes, so when they come over and if we decide to just chill in my room, I’ll always try and put a record on I know they will like. Because I still live with my parents, I can’t have the my music playing to loud while playing vinyl late at night – so that’s why I love the Classics ROTM’s and any Soul or Jazz VMP exclusives!

What is your current goal in buying/receiving/collecting vinyl? (Do you focus on collectibles? Do you only buy what you like? Do buy what you think you might like?)

I don’t really have a goal, but I actually quit my job just on Thursday, partly because I feel like I don’t dedicate enough time to vinyl. So my goal is to enjoy vinyl the right way and to start listening a lot to vinyl, so then it gets easier for me to constantly play vinyl. I don’t focus on collecting at all and I do mainly just buy what I like. But I’m really open-minded and was willing to spend a lot of money on vinyl. For that reason, I bought a lot of VMP exclusives that were out of my comfort zone and I love it! The VMP forum and you, @Enoch, definitely contributed to me deciding to be more experimental with buying records and to give a lot of records a chance in the hopes of broadening my music taste!

Are there any bands/artists you automatically buy on vinyl regardless? (Do buy multiples copies - all the different variants?)

No, I’m very album orientated, meaning I love listening to albums and don’t focus so much on a particular artist. There are some artists who have at least 3 studio albums, in which I own their whole discography on vinyl (Erykah Badu, D’angelo, Kendrick Lamar). But that happens to be that I like all their studio albums that are on vinyl. I am someone that would never buy a record automatically based on an artist I like. If I like the singles I hear on an upcoming record from an artist I love, I am happy to pre-order the vinyl, but if I didn’t like that single, I would wait until their album gets released……then decide if I like the album enough to have it on vinyl (I take into consideration that the album will sound better being played on vinyl so sometimes albums I’m 60%-70% on, I will buy the vinyl and a lot of the times it has paid off! Other times it hasn’t, as was the case for example with Trapo’s “She” EP).

That’s a very difficult question! I really like the Light in the Attic pressing of Digable Planet’s “Blowout Comb”! That was a spectacular reissue.

I even love the KIDS SEE GHOST’s self-titled vinyl. Love the record and the pressing also sounds amazing!

Another one of my favorites are the 45RPM MOFI Miles Davis records (Nefertit, Filles De Kilimanjaro, E.S.P.) and also MOFI pressing of Miles Davis’ “In A Silent Way”.

The four Blue Note VMP exclusives are also a favourite of mine. I love all four so much and am so happy to own them and spin them.

My favourite VMP records in my collection are mostly the Classics ROTM’s (Archie Shepp, Alice Coltrane, Lafayette Afro-Rock Band, Eddie Floyd, Little Milton, Max Roach etc) and also other exclusives such as Big Bill Broonzy Sings Folk Songs, Nina Simone Sings The Blues, Irma Thomas’ Wish Someone Would Care etc. It might not seem like it with my personality, but all my favourite records from VMP really are the of Soul/Blues/Jazz albums from the 50’s/60’s/70’s that have pressed! I cannot wait for Blossom Dearie’s self-titled. I am sure it will be one of my favorites too! But for the first time ever, I am keener for the Essentials ROTM over the Classics ROTM. The music on Flying Lotus’ “Cosmogramma” really fits the description of someone I want to have sex with and have a serious relationship with haha! That Essentials ROTM might even be better than Nina Simone Sings The Blues or Mavis Staples!

Last edited:

Maybe Feist’s Let it Die & Flying Lotus’ Cosmogramma (haven't received the VMP exclusive yet of course) both mean a lot to me because they sound like the girlfriend and boyfriend I’d want to be in a serious relationship with! Like if I am 40 years old and still single, at least I have those records to make me feel like I'm still somehow in a relationship with something

I haven't gone through any real hardships yet (relationships, deaths, depression etc), so there's no record I play yet that makes me feel really emotional or that makes me have a special attachment/memory to.

If you were allowed to freely receive any record you currently don’t have, what would it be?

That’s a hard question. An original pressing of Dr Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ in mint condition because that’s naughty, badass & hot!

But it would also be pretty sexy, naughty & hot if I had the VMP exclusive of FutureSex/LoveSounds, so that would probably be my second choice

@Mather asks: What are you?

hmmmm I'm not sure how to interpret this but first thing that comes to mind is my sexuality because I haven't really talked about that at all yet and I think most people on here would be unsure if I'm straight or gay or bi because I think people would not know if I'm being serious or not with some of my cheeky comments. I'm bisexual, so I want f*ck and be f*cked by everybodyyyyyy! Just joking, I actually am bisexual, but I don't want to have sex with everyone. Just want everyone to know that I'm not a creepy sex monster because I'm really not, I'm just a really flirtatious, cheeky, open-minded, sexual, loving person

I already feel like I'm coming across as weird online in here expressing myself. I feel like I am more likeable and normal in person and my weirdness makes more sense in person. But what am I @Mather? To be honest, I am just a fun, easy-going, cheeky, YOLO kind of person who would probably give you a better blowjob experience compared to your wife. I am also a dreamer, and just am really ambitious, which is shown with a lot of the countries I've travelled to since I was 18. I am definitely an adventurous person and if there's one person on here I would dream of being in a relationship with, it would be @Skalap because his personality and interests (and music taste which isn't as important) are exactly what I want. I would never attempt to have sex with someone if I knew they were in a serious relationship, but I think @Skalap is the exception because I want him that bad ...........but I don't even care that I'm telling the VMP community this because I know it's impossible (99% sure it is because he's not like that and I'm pretty certain he's straight and not bisexual haha). There's some other people on here I'm interested in, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even date any of them but I wouldn't say anything.....just in case maybe they are somehow attracted to me and they are just shy about it lol.

But anyways, I didn't even start thinking about relationships until around August/September 2018 when I was working night-shift. I was nearly out of debt but hadn't travelled in so long and hated my life so much and was bored and didn't really know whether I wanted to go back to travelling hardcore after getting out of debt. So I was imagining me in a relationship and I think the thought of it sounded really good. But I figured out I was very mildly depressed and wanted affection (not from sex, from an actual serious relationship) and these thoughts of me wanting to be in a relationship with some of the VMP forumers was a negative sign (even though this is a normal feeling, but even my friends knew there was something up). I've recently quit my job (probably like 18th or 19th job) and I am actually planning to just have a holiday where I don't travel and just stay in Australia focus on myself, fitness and lifetime goals. This means I will probably be less cheeky, have more time to interact on this forum and won't even think about wanting to have sex with some people on here lol.

I am also someone that uses imagination a lot, especially whilst working in labouring as the work is repetitive. I try to picture what most of the people on here are like in person, I really do. I always think to myself which people on here are the ones I'd want to work with the most if we were all just pick packing together. If I had to choose based on what I've seen with everyone on here interacting, and thinking deep about everything really deeply, I'd choose these 5 people work with me full-time. I'd want @Bohnjaggs, @bfly, @jaycee, @Melancholy_Melody & @Bluecloud777. @Wicked Dreamer and @Hollywood are super close so they are also people I'd really imagine love working with. I feel like this paragraph is something that reveals a lot about me (when talking about 'what I am’?).

Last edited:
There was so much in his first part, I had to narrow down on how to follow up. Since Nathan went very personal and in-depth I figure I would follow his lead and keep that ball rolling.

While reading your posts and now the answers to the first set of questions. I noticed the language you typically use is upbeat/positive, but it sounds like you have bouts of loneliness. Would say that is accurate? If so, what helps you to get out of that space?

Hmmm, that’s a very good question. Thinking about it, I don’t I am feeling lonely really. I think it’s my working-life and a bit of me realising that I wish I at least had one friend that was a bit of a music nerd like everyone on this VMP forum. I don’t know how to phrase this, but if you met me in person, you would never think that I’ve been doing warehousing/repetitive-like factory work for 6 years. Most people I work with are much older than me, are migrants and don’t have much in common with me. I still get along with nearly everyone, but it’s like………..none of my friends do factory work and nearly no one on this forum does either. I hardly interact with people at work because I’m just a number that does not deal face-to-face much with workers and never customers. Last job, I really was a number, I was known ‘#11’ (all the pick-packers were identified through a number they were given) hahahaha

I think work has contributed to me feeling bored. I still get along really well with my friends but some of them are in relationships so it’s less time with them and I am not as interested as I was before with video-gaming, so I spend less time gaming with friends at my house/their house. I also am not into clubbing as much anymore. I still really enjoy going out for lunch/brunch/dinner……but most of my friends now don’t want to spend money on that and just want takeaway or are just saving up for other things (understandably). I think I’m just going through a shit last 8-9 months with no travelling and from working more than 6 months continually + losing interests in other things. My interest is stronger in music/vinyl though. So I kind of really want a VMP partner and maybe that makes me look lonely wanting that. I think music and food and my sister in particular will always help me through loneliness if I ever feel that way.

As I said, I quit my job, and am focusing on vinyl, food & fitness more and finally have the goal to get out of warehousing/factory work, so things are looking real good for me right now!

On a related note, I wonder sometimes if I put too much stock in/rely the VMP forum, do feel the same way? (I especially am curious about this after reading your response to Mather ’s question.)

Not really, I go to my friends and family still if I need to vent my feelings and let them know if I feel sad/unhappy. My friends do the same with me and we are really comfortable with each other. My parents and siblings are also easy-going and I feel comfortable telling them everything too, except my older brother, because he doesn’t show/hides his vulnerable side to me.

I do wish though that I had some friends like the people on this forum though, especially from a musical point of view. I don't have any friends that are extremely passionate about music. I have friends that love music and I'll always go to concerts etc with them, but I want a music nerd friend and here, there's so many! haha

Let’s take a big 180 here. I too enjoy traveling and wonder what is the favorite place(s) you have traveled to and what music would you say best describes that trip(s)?

So much favourite trips I’ve done by top 3 would be

· North India/Nepal/Pakistan/Afghanistan
· Iran/Georgia/Armenia/Azerbijan
· South of Italy

I actually had Cunninlynguists “A Piece of Strange” in my head for different parts of my trip to North India/Nepal/Pakistan/Afghanistan (one of my favourite trips). When I was finishing my trip in Kabul, Afghanistan, I was a little bit scared because there was a lot of military around. The first track on that album is called “Where Will You Be?” is a song asking the listener where will they be tomorrow if it ends today. I kind of related the soothing/singing vocals and acoustic guitars and the general message to the residents in that city because the song is heavy, but simultaneously relaxing and has evokes a feeling of hope. Also, it sounds like a tribe singing together in that track and I imagine like families/residents gathering together praying and singing that. Then the next track on that album (Since When?) sounds like the reality for the residents in Kabul always hearing gun shots, knowing they could die from a possible air strike etc. The song starts with pounding drums and a general drum pattern that reminds me of just bombs dropping all around the city. A bit messed up of me to imagine this, but I couldn’t help it. ‘HellFire’ was a track I thought of, with the army and enemies fighting each other. I just imagined the enemy being like “I bring you Hellfire” in this comedic-clown like voice and then blasting their guns at the other enemy. ‘America Loves Gangsters’ reminded me of a conversation I had with another traveller before going to Afghanistan. They were telling me about how the U.S. sells their weapons/ammo etc to countries in the middle-east such as Afghanistan. After the conversation, I saw that track as America loving terrorists (gangsters), which is why they sell their weapons. The opening lyrics on that track made me interpret the track to be about war. Other tracks on the album reminded me when I was in different regions in Pakistan/India/Nepal and it wasn’t just all about Afghanistan. I don’t want to go on though what songs reminded me of what regions/valleys I was in, otherwise I’ll be writing for a very long time haha Sade’s Soldier of Love was just another album that I was thinking of when I also did this trip as well. I was actually thinking about myself because I was thinking to myself that I could never kill anyone, so I was a soldier of love. I was of course a bit scared at times, so tracks like ‘Bring Me Home’ came into mind lol Lyrics from that track talk about not being able to turn anywhere, not north, east, west or south and it made me feel really bad for a lot of the people trapped in a war-zone. I just wanted to hug them all and comfort them and try to somehow give them more hop. Also, songs like like ‘Long Hard Road’ from that Sade album came to mind. The Safest Place also came into mind. I want to describe how I connected those songs while being in different villages in Afghanistan and in Kabul but I can’t write forever. I’m happy I’m just focusing on my mentality musically when I was Afghanistan instead of just listing different songs/albums for the different regions/countries I’ve travelled to around the world. But yeah, I have a tendency to match music/my feelings whilst I travel and with a lot of general situations. I love music so much for that reason, it gives me so much life, perspective, purpose and imagination!

Last edited:

Definitely ‘Songs in A Minor’ by Alicia Keys. That album best describes my personality. The opening track ‘Piano & I’ I feel reveals those feelings I had before taking a trip overseas somewhere that was foreign to me. In that track, Alicia Keys talks about feeling lost, yet prepared for the world. It’s that feeling when you know that you know now is the right time do something, even though it’s a risk and it’s out of your comfort zone. Songs like ‘Troubles’ and ‘The Life’ definitely sum up my personality in the same sense, with an emphasis on letting go with the past and making sure ‘you do what you gotta do to make it through’. Musically, that album has a street, semi-grimy vibe, but because of Alicia keys’ classically trained piano skills, has a jazzy and classy vibe. The piano keys and lines are simple and precise, and there’s always that 3/4 head-bopping drumbeat in the background I dig. I love this sound – a sound where there’s that New York hip-hop, street soul with a gospel undertone. Songs in A Minor has some heavy moments (‘Why Do I feel So Sad’ & ‘Goodbye’), some sexy jams (‘Rock Wit U’ & ‘A Woman’s Worth’), some fun hopscotching sing-along jams (‘Jane Doe’ & ‘Girlfriend’), a tropical sounding cut (‘Mr Man’), some intimate moments (‘Butterflyz’ & ‘Never Felt This Way’) and some family reunion sounding tracks like ‘Lovin U’. Songs In A Minor sounds like it came from an artist that grew up really close to their friends and family in the suburbs. The personality of this album I feel is youthful, intimate, vulnerable and honest and is an album that will always stay close with their friends and will make the effort with them, instead of being lovey-dovey with their boyfriend/girlfriend. I really feel like Alicia Keys' gave it her all and I think I am honestly someone that gives my all too! When I was training people in my last job, I cared so much and took my time and gave everything I have and have so much patience. Songs in A Minor album took 5 years in the making and it really showed who Alicia Keys was as she struggled to find her sound, but when she did, it was unique and untouched. Without sounding pretentious or up myself, I feel like I am the same - that with my life experiences and the fact that I take my time travelling has made me really come out of my shell and be confident and unique and like a character no one has ever really met.

What song/album best describe your beliefs? (Spiritual, Emotional, Existential, Whatever)

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill I feel is an album that best describes my beliefs. Where do I even start though? Like the first song “Lost One” contains the main lyric “You might win some, but you really lost one” and that is my life-story in 2018 when I worked at Pfizer. I was winning because I was getting $54 an hour, but I had sacrificed that for properly sleeping – something I have come to realise is extremely important. I also sacrificed my happiness, friendship with my family and friends, as I was sleeping/trying to sleep when they were all conscious and vice versa. Also, Pfizer was losing because I was sleeping on a very important job, which in turn might have the consequences of someone getting killed/ill (not picking up on contaminated vials passing through). So ‘Lost Ones’ is a song that I really connect with as the message is ultimately telling you to stay true to yourself. The interludes on that album was communicating to kids on how to love yourself, I really liked that. Those interludes had a serious message, but Lauryn’s approach to communicating it was gentle, approachable, warm and cute – I loved it. I also love how The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill shows the listener the artist’s flaws and shows them that they are like all other humans and become vulnerable. It’s a very raw album that I think teaches a lot of wisdom. Overall, this album reminds you that learning is a life-long occupation and reminds us that no matter how smart or sophisticated you are, that we can always learn something from others. I feel like I can offer that to people because I’ve travelled so much and just do factory work and I might be looked up upon as uneducated, but I know I’ve got so much wisdom and love in me that can be transferred to the justice and white-collar world. Forgive Them Father & Nothing Even Matters are two tracks that is purely me - I always remind people to not stress and to always do what you want to do, NOT what you think you should do. And I am a very forgiving person too - I understand that people sometimes are born with a chemical imbalance or have a rough upbringing or get addicted to the power-trip etc - I am patient and think forgiving/understanding people usually is extremely rewarding. I had to fight for people to not lose their jobs at my last job I just quit, and around 80%-90% of the time, it paid off and the person stayed and was very happy (they didn't know I was trying to persuade the manager to give them more time to pick up their rhythm and skills). So yeah, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is me in terms of what I stand for and that album will always be in my top 20 albums of all time!

If you met someone who has never heard music ever, what album would you play for them first?

M.I.A’s “Kala” is the album I would play to someone who has never heard music. ‘Bamboo Banga”, the first track on that album opens with a pumping bass, hand-clapping and some rattling/buzzing sounds and has a shuffling beat that makes you want to instantly dance. Its rhythm builds stronger and stronger with racecar sounds coming in and chanting and builds into a Bollywood-electro banger! I wonder if this person who hasn’t heard a song would start moving their body and start dancing if they were to hear this hypnotic, energetic track. Kala is an album that showcases sounds from different cultures, and its samples are very interesting too. Blend music from Australia, India, Middle-East, Continental Asia, Africa, Western-pop, and club beats and you end up with Kala! This album is full of rhythmic sensations, and throws in some really cool sounds, from cash-register opening sounds, to birds sounding like they are chocking to didgeridoo’s playing, to refugee-warning sirens, gun-shots etc. This album musically is just frenetic but makes you want to dance and I think it would be the best album to introduce to someone who has never heard music. I don’t want to introduce the person who has never heard music to something more digestible and easy-to-the-ears like Frank Sinarta, I just want to hit them with an explosion and chaos and with an album that’s full of bangers but doesn’t comprise artistry! Also this album focuses on immigration, war and poverty and how three things make each other worse. From a commentary point of view, this album is so unique and I think that would be interesting for this person to hear as well – that music can also incorporate confronting messages whilst still having rhythms and sounds that make you want to dance! Musically this album is just so layered and is noisy and I think it would be a joy for someone to listen to this. You know how you eat a particular dish for the first time overseas or at a restaurant and you fall in love with it….but then every time you eat that dish again somewhere else, it isn’t as good as the first time you had it? That’s what I would aim with introducing Kala to this person that has never heard music. To feel those unforgettable sensations whilst listening to the music and to live that experience that would never be able to be topped!

What question would you like to ask the next person interviewed?

Who is your favourite person on here and why?

Last edited:
Interview 3:

After interviewing two newer members to VMP and vinyl collecting in general, I thought it was time to at least interview a member that has been with VMP for a few years. @Tyr has been with VMP since 2015 and in my opinion (and the forum ranking system) is a well-known member (not that Mather and Nathan aren’t).

I was introduced to VMP as a service by a third-party retailer, actually. There is a lifestyle company called Huckberry and they ran a special on their website on VMP, complete with a discount code on a yearly subscription. After looking into some of the past releases I found that I really enjoyed the music that they curated and signed up immediately. During the sign-up process I saw that they had an online forums presence. And, being the overly loquacious person that I am, I joined up immediately. The forums have been the best part of the VMP experience for me, with the actual music coming in at a very close second.

I came to vinyl late as it were. During my formative years I collected cassettes and cd’s like mad, amassing quite a collection. But I had never really been introduced to vinyl as a format. One year, for Father’s Day, my wife bought me a record player and an Aerosmith album (Get Your Wings). From there I learned the joy of how music could sound on vinyl. So I’ve really only be collecting for the past 4 years.

Oh boy! Thanks to the forum I have gone through several different permutations of my system. From initially only listening on Sonos speakers to Zu Audio and finally to my current setup, the denizens of the forum have been there to help guide/push me every step of the way! Currently I’m utilizing Sonus Faber Olympica II speakers which are one of my favorite things I own. At the advice of HiFi Guy and others, I am also running a Sutherland Insight, PS Audio Gain Cell DAC, and PS Audio Stellar S3000. The one weak link in my chain is the my turntable. Currently, I’m still using the UTurn Orbit+ my wife bought me many years ago. In comparison to the rest of the system it woefully underperforms. However, I’m hoping it is on the docket this year to step up to the MoFi Ultradeck. This should give me a good holding point for now. I know that at some point in my life I will want to enter the world of the super premium audio equipment, but that shall be later.

In terms of my listening habits, I mostly listen to music alone. Our entire house has Sonos speakers in almost every room so for every day listening (while doing housework, etc etc.) we utilize those. If I am in my music room listening to my system, it is almost always alone and it is an active listening session. There have been times where friends/family come over and hang with me in the listening room but for the most part its just me, a book, or the computer.

What is your current goal in buying/receiving/collecting vinyl? (Do you focus on collectibles? Do you only buy what you like? Do you buy what you think you might like?)

At heart, I am a collector. So my habits in terms of vinyl follow that line of thinking. I search out the rare, the one-offs, or the low numbered variants of albums. I buy multiple copies of albums in different variants. Sometimes I buy albums as investment pieces depending on their rarity and relative value. But for the most part, I buy albums because I love the artist and the music speaks to me. I’ve become much more adventurous lately! A fact I attribute to VMP the service and the VMP forum friends I’ve made. In 2018, approximately 30% of my vinyl purchases were of albums I had never heard. In trying to constantly expand my horizons, I take chances on albums I may not have given a chance in previous years. I read reviews, and will purchase something just based upon the person who is recommending it. VMP forum friends are great for that!

YES!!! I have several artists I will buy WHATEVER is released, sight unseen. They run the gamut from metal to pop and back again. The top artists I do this with are: Prince, Satanic Warmaster, Julien Baker, Proclamation, Pagan Altar, Father John Misty, Behemoth, and Max Ricther. If any of these artists release music, I attempt to buy every variant that is released no matter how infuriating it is (I’m looking at you Father John Misty).

Is this like picking a favorite child??? Because that is about how difficult this question feels. I’m unsure if I can pick a favorite but I have a few that I always come back to. I have a very rare Pagan Altar record #1 of 300 that I happened to luck out on when one of the former record company employees sold it on Discogs. I cherish that album. I have a German pressing of Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here that sounds absolutely stunning. And I have a MoFi pressing of Alice In Chain’s Unplugged performance that I always end up playing when I’m drinking. So for now, those are the ones that are my favorite.

The record that means the most to me is a copy of David Bowie’s Heathen album that I got a few years ago. It is my favorite Bowie album (easy there everyone) and it was given as a gift. It means the world to me.

The second is Satanic Warmaster’s From the Carelian Battlegrounds Part 2 – Diehard Edition as it was the hardest for me to track down. It took me years and it’s the most I’ve ever paid for a single record.

Another tough question! There are so many! There’s a very rare pressing of the 1984 Prince Birthday show that I would want, though I’m not sure if they exist anymore. The 12” promo copy of Prince’s Black Album that was pulled before release (last listed for sale at $15k on Discogs if anyone is shopping for my Bday ). And Heavy Metal Super Star Records first release, Sabbat’s Live Kindergarten album.

Nathan asks: Who is your favourite person on here and why?

Its @Severan . Its always Severan. Because he is my taller, much more handsome brother.

Last edited:
@Tyr is known for his positivity, you might even call him an evangelist for it (well at least I might). So I obviously couldn’t help but to ask him about it.

One of your mantras(?) on the forum has been to be positive/stay positive. I do wonder if this is due to struggle you have with feeling positive or did you grow up in a home that promoted it. Where does the desire to focus on positivity come from?

OOoooo I have more than one mantra!?!? How fun! Actually, my (hopefully) infectious positivity is genuine and matches my irl personality very closely. This may be hard to believe, @Melt Face Molly Drop mentioned this to me when we met in person, but I really am this positive in the regular world but I don’t think it comes off as overwhelming as it can online. My home life growing up was always very positive. My mother was a beacon of positivity and happiness so I’m sure I get it from there. I also credit a traumatic life event and subsequent personality change with my outlook on life. I always try and be the brightest and most positive person in the room and endeavor to surround myself with others of similar disposition.

I know you recently joined on a new venture to help people with career changes with @Severan. How is it going? Is this the first startup you have been a part of?

Yes I did! I was so happy to be a part of Severan’s vision. It is going well thus far. There has been a good deal of interest in the services offered and what all it entails. I think for me, my own personal interest in Servant Leadership helped lead me to another like-minded individual. Yes! This is the very first startup company I have been involved with. Within the healthcare arena I have been lucky enough to start new lines of business, new clinics, and new hospitals but this is a completely different animal. I fully credit Sev and some of the other shadow-collaborators with helping me understand the process and develop my own entrepreneurial skills and qualities. Who knew it would be something that I enjoyed so much?

Also, in case the company ever gets HUGE, I took a very Apple-esque photo of all of the original collaborators in Severan’s living room this past year. I’m hoping its our Jobs/Woz pic later down the line.

Since you are a variant collector, what album do you have the most number of? Is there a variant that continues to elude you? Do you ever look in the mirror and ask why do I have _ number of this album?

I have never, and likely will never, ask myself why I have so many copies of any particular album. This collector tendency has been fairly active in me throughout the majority of my life. I used to collect all sorts of things so this is just one more extension of that trait.

Hmmm, the most number of variants is a tie between Julien Baker’s Sprained Ankle, Father John Misty’s God’s Favorite Customer, and Devil’s Witches Velvet Magic. And in terms of variants that elude me…. Pagan Altar’s Mythical & Magical has a test pressing that I’ve never seen on sale anywhere. Shout out to all the VMP forum fam for keeping an eye out for me on that one.

Damn! This could change on the daily. I would have to say (and don’t laugh) currently its Dan Fogelberg’s Same Old Lang Syne. Mostly positive, extremely nostalgic and sentimental, partly existential crisis, with a twinge of melancholy. Yep, its going to be that song for right now. LOL

Danzig’s Lucifuge

This may be the best question! Where does one begin? What genre would you start with? Do you just go with the most acclaimed album of all time? So many different paths you could go down with this question. I think I would probably take a hard left and play Fela Kuti’s Roforofo Fight first. It is an album filled with so many different types of instrumentation and the grooves you can just feel in your soul. And really, isn’t that what music is supposed to do? Move us in some way. And that album makes me feel things on an emotional level and also makes me want to shake my ass around so that’s a perfect first musical experience for someone. But really, I could have listed at least 100 albums that would be appropriate. There is no wrong answer here!

What question would you like to ask the next person interviewed?

If you could only pick one album to send to someone to get them into your favorite genre of music, what album would you send?

Last edited:
Interview 5

@duke86fan is one of the youngest members of VMP and definitely was when she first joined. While I have been a VMP member longer, duke has been on the forum (at least actively) longer than me and most others.

[How did you find this VMP forum? (Were you already a VMP member? Did you find the forum first and join VMP? Do you even subscribe to VMP?)]

How did you find out about this forum?

I joined the club after seeing Anthony Fantano promote the club on a vinyl update, specifically showing the perfume genius LP. i joined on the month of donuts because after listening to it on beats music (back when that was a thing), I fell in love. I am pretty sure at the time one of the selling points of VMP was the forum, that or VMP were promoting it on their twitter, so i checked it out and immediately signed up.

[When did you first start collecting vinyl? (Do remember what the first one(s) was?)]

When did you start collecting?

About 2015 or so if i remember. i just knew vinyl was making a comeback and i was into music so i thought i might as well join the party. i looked up what the best starter turntables were and asked my mom for that specific one and a couple records, and i got them. my first records were sgt peppers lonely hearts club band and daft punks random access memories, both i still have and love.

[What is your current listening setup? What equipment do you have? Do listen alone, only with others, or some combo?]

Current Listening Setup?

An Audio Technica LP60 with some M-Audio AV32 Powered Speakers connected to Audio Technica ATHM50X Headphones, i plan on moving to a Uturn Orbit and adding a Schiit Mani the wonderful @Tillman plans to give me soon. i listen completely alone, my family wouldn't have the same tastes that i do, though my bro almost listened to demon days with me

What is your current goal in buying/receiving/collecting vinyl?

I just buy for fun, i find that VMP or my local record store or even just amazon has what im looking for and i buy it.

Are there any bands/artists you automatically buy on vinyl regardless?

Radiohead and The Beatles are my closest options, though i wont just impulsively buy, and i dont immediately have all their records, i do plan on buying the OKNOTOK varient of OK Computer and some of the beatles remixed albums when i can though because those sound and look AMAZING

I never actually thought of that, I would personally chose my copy of Rico Nasty's Nasty since thats been on my listening very often, As well as Radioheads In Rainbows, as its my favorite album by my favorite band. and TA1300 by Denzel Curry, a fantastic rap album i am happy i got from VMP.

What record means the most to you?

The fact we actually got demon days on vinyl is so amazing to me its crazy

Am i allowed to say Perfect Pussy's Say Yes to love on Period Blood Vinyl... because i love that band and having that would be fascinating.

@jaycee asked: In this scenario, the most perfect day possible is going to occur in your life. You wake-up and do exactly what you want to do every moment of that day. What are the songs or albums that would be the soundtrack to that day?

Soundtrack to my perfect day?

I think some Arcade Fire would fit the mood perfectly, as well as anything off of Father John Mistys "I Love You Honeybear", even if those albums are sarcastic or not entirely happy. they still give me wonderful feelings and are some go to emotional works for me

Last edited:
Back