ECM Thread

Man, Gary was (is? ) one of the goats. His work with the Keith Jarrett Trio, among many others is brilliant. I know he stopped playing a couple of years ago due to some health issues. Jarrett said that basically discouraged him from ever playing with a bass player again, since he would never achieve the degree of interplay he had accomplished with Peacock.

Man, Gary was (is? ) one of the goats. His work with the Keith Jarrett Trio, among many others is brilliant. I know he stopped playing a couple of years ago due to some health issues. Jarrett said that basically discouraged him from ever playing with a bass player again, since he would never achieve the degree of interplay he had accomplished with Peacock.

It’s comments like this from Keith that makes me think I have a very surface level ability to understand jazz.

It’s comments like this from Keith that makes me think I have a very surface level ability to understand jazz.
I mean, we all have a very surface level undertanding of jazz when compared to one of the genre's most important figures of the last 50 years. That can't stop us from enjoying it, though. I would love to hear Keith playing in a Trio setting again, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference in quality in Peacock's replacement, but I will take Jarrett's word on the matter. I do get that the mutual undertanding earned in 30+ years of playing together will not be there on day 1 with a new bass player.

I mean, we all have a very surface level undertanding of jazz when compared to one of the genre's most important figures of the last 50 years. That can't stop us from enjoying it, though. I would love to hear Keith playing in a Trio setting again, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference in quality in Peacock's replacement, but I will take Jarrett's word on the matter. I do get that the mutual undertanding earned in 30+ years of playing together will not be there on day 1 with a new bass player.

It would be nice to hear a more extended discussion of musician and performance by musicians.

I’ve had Keith Trio- Still Live on the turntable since I received it on NYE. I was trying to pick one trio album that would stand in for all the others. I’m more than happy with this pick.
Yep. To me, this album is one of the best things Jarrett has ever put out. All Standards Trio records are pretty much on a similar level, but there's something about this one that outshines the others IMO.

Back