ECM Thread

So preorder for the new solo Jarrett. I have no Jarrett and sometimes find him a little to heady for my taste. What do you guys think?
He's one of my favorite jazz artists ever, but his output is very diverse. I wouldn't say any of the albums I have listened to are "bad", but some are just not for me. Still, his playing is matched by very few, and I'm sure you can find your own Jarrett sweet spot among his vast styles and discography.

He's one of my favorite jazz artists ever, but his output is very diverse. I wouldn't say any of the albums I have listened to are "bad", but some are just not for me. Still, his playing is matched by very few, and I'm sure you can find your own Jarrett sweet spot among his vast styles and discography.

I got into The Melody, At night, with you a while back. They just reissued that on vinyl. There is also the Koln concert, which i listened to on the ride in to work. I've listened to other and yea you are right. He does have a very diverse personality from concert to concert. I'll have to do some digging.

So this month is the 50th anniversary and I came across this list of the top 50.

Catching up on some albums on this list, wow this Jan Garbarek - Bobo Stenson Quartet album is quite special. I don't often do this with Jazz tracks but I've had the track desire on repeat for a while now, it's really sublime!

List so far for my birthday overtime purchase.

Mette Henriette - ST: man this is great. Kind of jazz/modern classical/ambient. Starts off as a tio sax/piano/and closes out with a more expanded ensemble.

Egberto Gismonti & Naná Vasconcelos - Dança das Cabeças: love both these guys.

Jarrett trio - Yesterdays: nice relaxed melodic set from a classic group of masters.

still looking through the catalog and taking suggestions.

List so far for my birthday overtime purchase.

Mette Henriette - ST: man this is great. Kind of jazz/modern classical/ambient. Starts off as a tio sax/piano/and closes out with a more expanded ensemble.

Egberto Gismonti & Naná Vasconcelos - Dança das Cabeças: love both these guys.

Jarrett trio - Yesterdays: nice relaxed melodic set from a classic group of masters.

still looking through the catalog and taking suggestions.

Here are a few ECM records I would suggest :

Wolfgang Muthspiel ‎– Where The River Goes & Rising Grace (features an all-star band with Ambrose Akinmusire, Brad Mehldau and others)
Dominic Miller ‎– Silent Light & Absinthe (if you love guitar jazz, this is for you)
Andrew Cyrille ‎– Lebroba (thanks to @Mr Moore who introduced me to this album, still one of my favorite ECM records, features Wadada Leo Smith and Bill Frisell, among others)

I just launched Mette Henriette on Spotify and will play the others your suggested after, thanks for the suggestion. With a catalogue like the ECM one, it's not easy to know where to start nor what to listen next. I use to play ECM New & Forthcoming playlist quite often and it's always full of beautiful music.

Wolfgang Muthspiel ‎– Where The River Goes & Rising Grace (features an all-star band with Ambrose Akinmusire, Brad Mehldau and others)
Dominic Miller ‎– Silent Light & Absinthe (if you love guitar jazz, this is for you)
Andrew Cyrille ‎– Lebroba (thanks to @Mr Moore who introduced me to this album, still one of my favorite ECM records, features Wadada Leo Smith and Bill Frisell, among others)

I just launched Mette Henriette on Spotify and will play the others your suggested after, thanks for the suggestion. With a catalogue like the ECM one, it's not easy to know where to start nor what to listen next. I use to play ECM New & Forthcoming playlist quite often and it's always full of beautiful music.

I really like Absinthe by Dominic Miller. The pressing is also very good.

That Mette album is very Morton Feldman. Very quiet but intense.

Catching up on some albums on this list, wow this Jan Garbarek - Bobo Stenson Quartet album is quite special. I don't often do this with Jazz tracks but I've had the track desire on repeat for a while now, it's really sublime!

YES! I grabbed this at random when someone posted that 50 records thing and it's so amazing. It's not really expensive, either. Totally worth grabbing off the 'cogs, highly recommend it to everyone.

For those interested, Dominic Millers's records Absinthe is 16,92€ on Dodax.fr and Silent Light is 17,98€ on Dodax.de. As always, free shipping to most of the European countries.

Last edited:
Back