ECM Thread

Well, thanks for reviving it!

Last fall/winter I fell hard into the ECM rabbit hole. I already had several Jarrett albums but this was the first time I intentionally explored other artists in their catalog. Soon enough I was scouring my local’s jazz section for any ECM album I could find… and now ECM has its own cube in my collection!

Almost all of it is from the 70s and early 80s, except from a used copy of Nik Bartsch’s Mobile - Continuum that I found recently.

Yea it’s ECM and Blue Note that I file together.

There are a lot of good contemporary artists. I live the Anouar Brahem, Oded Tzur, and Mette Henriette albums. All have vinyl editions.

That Burton is funky almost Blue Note funky, at least the first track.
Yes it is. All the way through. Has the great, very under-appreciated Mick Goodrick onboard (who made Pat Metheny what he is) who was a Jim Hall devotee.

And the quartet's original drummer, Harry Blazer, who went on to found Harry's Farmers Markets in Atlanta, which he later sold to Whole Foods.

Arguably Ring and Passengers are better records, maybe the best of Burton's career, but the first New Quartet opened a new chapter and is essential.

Last edited:
In 1976 I worked at a friend’s record store for a few minutes. Best part was going to the distributor warehouse to pick up new releases as there were bins of promo records for the taking including ECMs. By far my best pick was Bright Size Life, Pat Metheny’s first release. Still have it and that it was also Jaco Pastorius’s first appearance on record is astounding to me. What a session!
IMG_3003.jpeg

Back