Drummers Drumming Drums

I was at Samba practice this weekend. My new Agogo bell came in with the rest of the drum order from Brazil. Any way I was using a typical stick to play the Agogo part. It was a pro mark Elvin Jones. I was suprised how small it was considering all the power he gets. Here’s my Brazilian perc collection so far. Up next is a pandeiro IMG_6276.jpeg

I was at Samba practice this weekend. My new Agogo bell came in with the rest of the drum order from Brazil. Any way I was using a typical stick to play the Agogo part. It was a pro mark Elvin Jones. I was suprised how small it was considering all the power he gets. Here’s my Brazilian perc collection so far. Up next is a pandeiro View attachment 194651
What’s the tip on the Elvin? Acorn?
Any time I try promark, I just don’t feel comfortable with the stick. Always just felt most comfortable with Vic Firth.

What’s the tip on the Elvin? Acorn?
Any time I try promark, I just don’t feel comfortable with the stick. Always just felt most comfortable with Vic Firth.
Yea it was acorn. When I used sticks it was always Vic. I may be getting a pair because there is a snare like drum in the Samba Batucada called the Caxia that I’ve been eyeing. But I’ll have to get some of the old rudiments up to speed. But the Repinique is the leader, makes all the calls for breaks and signals what groove you are gonna play.

Always just felt most comfortable with Vic Firth
I've been using the Vater Manhattan 7A wooden acorn tip for several years. I don't remember what made me try them, but it stuck. I seem to see a ton of drummers using the Vics though, maybe I'll try them sometime.

I was lucky enough to sell a song to Shameless several years ago. It's always a pleasant surprise to see royalty checks show up...and each time I get one, I use the money to re-invest in my home studio. So here's today's purchase, which I am pretty excited about.

I watched a few videos on it, and the ratings and impressions are all super positive.

Hoping my custom snare shows up soon. I ordered that beauty on January 4th. I don't want to rush the guy, but jeeezzz, come on and ship that puppy!

I was lucky enough to sell a song to Shameless several years ago. It's always a pleasant surprise to see royalty checks show up...and each time I get one, I use the money to re-invest in my home studio. So here's today's purchase, which I am pretty excited about.

I watched a few videos on it, and the ratings and impressions are all super positive.

Hoping my custom snare shows up soon. I ordered that beauty on January 4th. I don't want to rush the guy, but jeeezzz, come on and ship that puppy!
Did they give you any idea how long it would take? My N&C snares both took months because I ordered, and then they had to make them. It was torture waiting.

Did they give you any idea how long it would take? My N&C snares both took months because I ordered, and then they had to make them. It was torture waiting.
I traded emails with him a couple weeks ago and said he'd get to finishing it within a couple weeks. Soooo, it's gotta be shipping any day now.

Speaking of N&C, I meant to mention to you...a coworker bought a used N&C aluminum and he told me he was immediately thrilled with it. He said the high and low tunings are both fantastic.

I suspect you drummer folk have opinions about drummers...

I wanna see 'em!

I hope I like the snare drum from Sugar Percussion more than the experience of buying it. It's been two months and three days since I placed my order. I have checked in with Sugar twice during this time. The first reply was that he didn't have daycare for his sick child so he'd get back to finishing my snare in a week or two. I waited a month and reached out again (a week ago) and he said that the drum heads got shipped to the wrong place, and he just needs to get that squared away and he'll ship mine. Meanwhile, on Instagram he has videos of all the snares he's shipping this week. There's even a fast motion video of him putting a snare head on a poplar snare to be shipped. Kind of frustrating, I feel I was put to the back of the line. Especially when I saw a post last week about a snare being shipped to a 'drummer that will play for thousands.'

@Psymon - you said the waiting was difficult too...was your experience with N&C or anyone else similar to this?

I hope I like the snare drum from Sugar Percussion more than the experience of buying it. It's been two months and three days since I placed my order. I have checked in with Sugar twice during this time. The first reply was that he didn't have daycare for his sick child so he'd get back to finishing my snare in a week or two. I waited a month and reached out again (a week ago) and he said that the drum heads got shipped to the wrong place, and he just needs to get that squared away and he'll ship mine. Meanwhile, on Instagram he has videos of all the snares he's shipping this week. There's even a fast motion video of him putting a snare head on a poplar snare to be shipped. Kind of frustrating, I feel I was put to the back of the line. Especially when I saw a post last week about a snare being shipped to a 'drummer that will play for thousands.'

@Psymon - you said the waiting was difficult too...was your experience with N&C or anyone else similar to this?
Dang that’s a bummer.

N&C had a long wait-time, but they were very upfront about it. I ordered the drum, and then they made it, and that takes a long while for the shell to sit in the steam-bending mechanism. Months of waiting, but all worth it.

Dang that’s a bummer.

N&C had a long wait-time, but they were very upfront about it. I ordered the drum, and then they made it, and that takes a long while for the shell to sit in the steam-bending mechanism. Months of waiting, but all worth it.
Maybe I'm being impatient...and I won't start posting or trolling on the company, bad energy there. I'll just wait and wait some more. I paid already so it's not like I'll change my mind or cancel the order.

Back