Political Discussion

The single most powerful moment I’ve seen captured on film from the protests because it makes it so clear how at their wits end the black community is. How they know peaceful protesting hasn’t worked but are also aware that non-violent protest risks spinning the narrative.

And so what do you do? Other than hope more white people join you in your protest... Even though it’s happening in the middle of a pandemic.

My roommate is extremely frustrated because he is watching the looting (which we both acknowledge is coming from both bad actors and protestors) and is worried it is flipping people to the right on police militarization (largely because of our media). And I get that. And I’m deeply saddened by the destruction of small business at a time where many of them were already on life support.

Same time, peaceful protests only work via MASS mobilization. So my stance is point blank- if you wouldn’t have been at these protests in a non-Covid environment than you’re a hypocrite with no room to talk about anything other than how long these white looters should be jailed for.

Because the complacency of middle class whites is exactly what’s allowed us to get to this point.

The single most powerful moment I’ve seen captured on film from the protests because it makes it so clear how at their wits end the black community is. How they know peaceful protesting hasn’t worked but are also aware that non-violent protest risks spinning the narrative.

And so what do you do? Other than hope more white people join you in your protest... Even though it’s happening in the middle of a pandemic.

My roommate is extremely frustrated because he is watching the looting (which we both acknowledge is coming from both bad actors and protestors) and is worried it is flipping people to the right on police militarization (largely because of our media). And I get that. And I’m deeply saddened by the destruction of small business at a time where many of them were already on life support.

Same time, peaceful protests only work via MASS mobilization. So my stance is point blank- if you wouldn’t have been at these protests in a non-Covid environment than you’re a hypocrite with no room to talk about anything other than how long these white looters should be jailed for.

Because the complacency of middle class whites is exactly what’s allowed us to get to this point.
I saw that on Reddit a couple days ago and cried.

I saw that on Reddit a couple days ago and cried.

They talk about it on the Daily from Monday. Glad I chose to listen to it in the afternoon and not morning because I definitely shed some tears my car ride home.

I also recommend that episode of the Daily btw

They talk about it on the Daily from Monday. Glad I chose to listen to it in the afternoon and not morning because I definitely shed some tears my car ride home.

I also recommend that episode of the Daily btw

Speaking of podcast recs, I've been listening to LRC here and there since you first mentioned it a few months ago. I know you were most interested in Bruenig's take (I must have missed her departure from the show), but...have you listened to the most recent episode? Rich Lowry's treatment of Christine Emba in the first segment may be enough to get me to never listen again. He's usually able to keep his more repugnant side suppressed for the show, but he was a true dick to her in that episode.

A couple of days ago was depressing. There was a lot of oppression with protesters getting beat up, arrested and shot at. But over the past few days it feels like the tides have turned with many more peaceful protests in every single state, and around the world! Slowly but surely things like this action by the ACLU above start to develop. There have been other police officers arrested and police chiefs fired. It takes time but there will be positive changes from all of this unrest. Step by Step.

A couple of days ago was depressing. There was a lot of oppression with protesters getting beat up, arrested and shot at. But over the past few days it feels like the tides have turned with many more peaceful protests in every single state, and around the world! Slowly but surely things like this action by the ACLU above start to develop. There have been other police officers arrested and police chiefs fired. It takes time but there will be positive changes from all of this unrest. Step by Step.

I’m hoping it’s not just anecdotal, but I’m still seeing plenty of videos of peaceful protests being met with violence. A few from yesterday showed kneeling protestors being sprayed with OC, shoved to the ground, and shot by rubber bullets.

The world is still depressing

I’m hoping it’s not just anecdotal, but I’m still seeing plenty of videos of peaceful protests being met with violence. A few from yesterday showed kneeling protestors being sprayed with OC, shoved to the ground, and shot by rubber bullets.

The world is still depressing
Oh yeah, it's nowhere even close to being over. It is however empowering and encouraging to see some things change, slowly. This movement is much too powerful to be stopped now. It's the small victories.

It reminds me of the #MeToo movement from a few years ago. It became too powerful for the men in power to squash. And now things have, mostly, changed for the better in regards to calling out sexual harassment.

This made me laugh, I mean among other things, lol
"He could have gone anytime, of course! It was just a coincidence he was down there amid the protests outside the White House! Just going down to make sure all the buttons worked! All the brass was sufficiently polished! And the like."

Back