Disaster struck again - this time half of my 7" are warped.

Fixxman32

I am about to give up.. Half of my singles have developed server warping. Its a mix of old and new singles. All stored in 7" pvc sleeves.
The ones that survived was stored in polyline sleeves.

I have moved them all over to polyline sleeves now, and stored them elsewhere..

Can the records have reacted with gassing from the pvc sleeves?
Will humidity from drying clothes cause warps? But if this was the case, then all even the ones in polyline sleeves would have been affected right?
Its out of direct sunlight, and its around 20 degrees C in the apartment

In a record-shelf and a wooden box for 7" records. At two separat places in the livingroom. With normal temperatures in the 20's and away from direct sunlight.

They were stored in a random order. But common for them was the 7" thick pvc sleeves. The ones that survived were in 7" polyline sleeves.

Another apartment. No heatsource.
And as i wrote - records in polyline sleeves were unaffected.
I noted that the pvc sleeves had developed warps themselves and sort of stuck on to the covers.

And they were stored inbetween pvc sleeved 7". So random order.
I live in Norway, so we just had winter, and we keep around 20c then. In the summer it can be abit higher, but not extreme.

Gassing of PVC usually causes surface degradation of vinyl.

But I suppose warping is possible, too, if the sleeve is tight.

Where is the dryer in relation to the records?
The clothes-drying rack is abit too close, due to space in the apartment. - but about a meter from the second storage box of singles.
Would that alone affect some singles, but not all of them? Or has this caused the pvc-sleeves to react?

If it’s a drying rack, I don’t think it had an effect. I imagine the culprit is the pvc sleeves which are the devil.

If it’s a drying rack, I don’t think it had an effect. I imagine the culprit is the pvc sleeves which are the devil.
Yap, regular drying rack. If humidity had a play, i guess mold-growth and other nasty growth would be an issue and of course, the record covers would start to smell..
Most of the PVC-sleeves had started to deform, due to gassing i guess, and perhaps shrunk and therefore caused strain on the 7" records.

" Just throwing this out there but most likely the sleeves are "leeching" plasticizer. It's a stabilizer that seeps out and can cause other materials to degrade or warp. The loss of plasticizers also contribute to the sleeves "drying out"" I guess thats a plausible explanation.. i had to keep the record next to the cover as an inner sleeve for the 7" would not fit in to the cover.. so the innersleeve for the record had direct contact with the PVC-sleeve..

Back