Definitive Audiophile pressings

Here’s an interesting one…the 2023 pressing of Mezzanine by Massive Attack is cut by Tim Young, who cut the OG. It sounds awesome. Has the same UPC as the last reissue (think that was 2013ish?) but I think this new one has a “made in Germany” sticker on the back.
I have the 2013 cut by Sean Magee and it’s such a great sounding record. The bass is insane. Surprised they had Tim Young cut a different master but he always does great work. Do you have the 2013 or an OG to compare?

I have the 2013 cut by Sean Magee and it’s such a great sounding record. The bass is insane. Surprised they had Tim Young cut a different master but he always does great work. Do you have the 2013 or an OG to compare?
I don’t have the 2013 or an OG to compare to. My buddy has had all three and said the OG is the best but 2023 is kinda close to it. I was holding out for the OG but it’s just so expensive these days I gave up and got the new one. Sounds excellent. Was surprised they had Tim Young recut it too (his signature is on two of the sides). He does really awesome work so it was a pleasant surprise!

I don’t have the 2013 or an OG to compare to. My buddy has had all three and said the OG is the best but 2023 is kinda close to it. I was holding out for the OG but it’s just so expensive these days I gave up and got the new one. Sounds excellent. Was surprised they had Tim Young recut it too (his signature is on two of the sides). He does really awesome work so it was a pleasant surprise!
I have the 2013 and think it’s quite good. It’ll definitely expose the limits of your room with a low end that’s beastly. You learn if any screws need to be tightened, glass or pottery not on completely flat surfaces, windows not completely sealed, etc.

I have the 2013 and think it’s quite good. It’ll definitely expose the limits of your room with a low end that’s beastly. You learn if any screws need to be tightened, glass or pottery not on completely flat surfaces, windows not completely sealed, etc.
I think it's one of those albums that is just so well produced that all copies sound solid.

Here’s an interesting one…the 2023 pressing of Mezzanine by Massive Attack is cut by Tim Young, who cut the OG. It sounds awesome. Has the same UPC as the last reissue (think that was 2013ish?) but I think this new one has a “made in Germany” sticker on the back.
Oh fuck a duck.

-looks at 2013 copy-

-trudges to store to buy 2023 copy that will likely sound exactly the same-

sigh

Oh fuck a duck.

-looks at 2013 copy-

-trudges to store to buy 2023 copy that will likely sound exactly the same-

sigh
I didn't really need another copy of this. The 2 x 45 RPM MoFi is great and probably still beats this. The CB cut from the VMP box set is already a decent single LP version when I don't want to spin the 45 RPM. Even the 2 OG copies I have sound fine...maybe a little surface noise that adds some flavor.

But I still got it - and it sounds great. With all the available versions out there, this probably really didn't need to be made. I'm kinda tired of labels like Rhino and fuckchad going back to the well to reissue the same shit over and over. But we buy it....so they do it...and we buy it again...and they do it again...ad infinitum

But I think I'm going to break that cycle. I don't need the "best ever sounding" - I'm fine with "it sounds good to me". I'll replace a crappy original or reissue, but I'm done buying multiple copies to chase some unreachable perfection.

Grateful Dead – American Beauty
Rhino Records – RHF1 1863, 1970/2024

Rhino High Fidelity series - limited/numbered to 5000, #3199

Cut by Kevin Gray
Pressed at Optimal

gO4cifu.jpg

lXx1EHp.jpg

Back