Definitive Audiophile pressings

Just ordered the 2018 KPG Craft Violent Femmes ST. Anyone got that one? My buddy has the RM cut and it's sick. I actually wanted that one but they repressed this year with new runouts and the dubious "Mastered at Capitol" and the same damn SKU code so I went with KPGs.

I have that RM cut and think it's pretty good too. I remember it being mentioned in this thread a while back, like probably more than a year ago. Reason I remember is because in response to someone asking about it, I said just that, that it was pretty good to me but then got more or less contradicted by others saying it was awful. Anyway, I maintain that it's good. Only thing possibly bad about it is that it was pressed at Rainbo, but my copy is fine.

I have that RM cut and think it's pretty good too. I remember it being mentioned in this thread a while back, like probably more than a year ago. Reason I remember is because in response to someone asking about it, I said just that, that it was pretty good to me but then got more or less contradicted by others saying it was awful. Anyway, I maintain that it's good. Only thing possibly bad about it is that it was pressed at Rainbo, but my copy is fine.
I thought the RM sounded fantastic, honestly the KPG is almost certainly Rainbo too so I'm definitely taking a chance.

Same I have the RM cut. I picked it up used a few years back and my copy was pressed well and sounds great. Rainbo was always a crap shoot when it comes to pressing quality.

I've never had great from there. I've had well I guess they decide not to use the sandpaper plater on this one, thank god. I keed, I've had acceptable, but not great.
I guess I got lucky on my last couple, which were the deluxe Little Feat Dixie Chicken and Sailin' Shoes that were cut by BG and stupidly pressed there. My copies are perfect, but I see on Discogs that at least for Dixie Chicken it was hit or miss with bad copies too.

I guess I got lucky on my last couple, which were the deluxe Little Feat Dixie Chicken and Sailin' Shoes that were cut by BG and stupidly pressed there. My copies are perfect, but I see on Discogs that at least for Dixie Chicken it was hit or miss with bad copies too.
Yeah I'm about to do something very dumb and finally buy a copy of Siamese Dream and I'm just going to get the standard release that's Masterdisk MRP and every single review is either "it's the greatest thing ever" or "this is an abomination and everyone involved should be arrested". So I'm sure it'll be just great.

Yeah I'm about to do something very dumb and finally buy a copy of Siamese Dream and I'm just going to get the standard release that's Masterdisk MRP and every single review is either "it's the greatest thing ever" or "this is an abomination and everyone involved should be arrested". So I'm sure it'll be just great.
Mine is definitely one of the disappointing copies of that. Damn shame

That's the one I recently picked up from Plaid and it's fine.
Definitely needs some EQ help to make it right.

Just ordered the 2018 KPG Craft Violent Femmes ST. Anyone got that one? My buddy has the RM cut and it's sick. I actually wanted that one but they repressed this year with new runouts and the dubious "Mastered at Capitol" and the same damn SKU code so I went with KPGs.

Sadly went through 3 copies of that one, great master but just couldn't get a copy without noise all over the B side :(

My MRP copy gets kinda shrill. Pressing is not that great, it's average. Dont be surprised by sleeve scuffs and pockmarks/dimples.
Which one? The KPG or the RM or the "Mastered at Capitol"?

(don't say KPG, don't say KPG)
I have the RM Mastered at Capitol version. Took 3 copies to get one without defects. First was warped, second scratched, and third is just okay. Is the KPG a new, better pressing?

My MRP copy gets kinda shrill. Pressing is not that great, it's average. Dont be surprised by sleeve scuffs and pockmarks/dimples.

I have the RM Mastered at Capitol version. Took 3 copies to get one without defects. First was warped, second scratched, and third is just okay. Is the KPG a new, better pressing?
Strangely enough, the KPG is listed as 2018 which is the same year as the RM. So it's odd as to why there's two. My hope is that it isn't MRP but it's just as likely Rainbo in 2018.

And for those keeping score at home. I bailed on the clearly cursed Pumpkins and instead grabbed The Black Angels "Passover" pressed at RTI.

Back