Definitive Audiophile pressings

Well my Japanese OG Around the World In A Day beats the pants off KG remaster, more attitude more dancing, sometimes the remaster might sound cleaner or more audiophile but doesn’t have the same “vibe”, I’m finding this a lot with recent remasters compared to Originals (even though a US pressing of ATWIAD would actually be the OG, I haven’t heard that but the JP version is fantastic)

I never had an OG of that one, but US Prince releases were known for being pretty flat and lifeless. Japanese or recent represses seem the obvious route with Prince stuff.

I never had an OG of that one, but US Prince releases were known for being pretty flat and lifeless. Japanese or recent represses seem the obvious route with Prince stuff.
Only Prince I have cut by him is Purple Rain (the only album in my collection where I have an OG and a remaster - as opposed to a remix or alternate version). That one is pretty special.

"Personally overseen by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan, Waits spectacular middle-period albums–released on Island Records,"

It's not that the Waits reissues didn't have oversight, it's that a lot of folks don't like what Waits and Brennan have been going for on their remasters.

I think Waits/Brennan oversee the digital remastering. And those remasters have been fine. The actual vinyl mastering/cutting is where we get the lack of quality compared to originals. But then against if you're not cutting your LPs with a premier engineer like Bellman/Grundman and are just using the digital source it's not surprising those reissues aren't super great.

"Personally overseen by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan, Waits spectacular middle-period albums–released on Island Records,"

It's not that the Waits reissues didn't have oversight, it's that a lot of folks don't like what Waits and Brennan have been going for on their remasters.

Yeah they made an utter mess of the asylum years reissues, Closing Time in particular. They stink up the digital and the vinyl and feel more like full remixes than simple remasters. I actually think that everything after the asylum era has been ok but received middling vinyl pressings.

Yeah they made an utter mess of the asylum years reissues, Closing Time in particular. They stink up the digital and the vinyl and feel more like full remixes than simple remasters. I actually think that everything after the asylum era has been ok but received middling vinyl pressings.
I believe Closing Time had re-recorded vocals but I can’t be arsed to look it up.

For the Island years (and I think I posted this here a few months back) Rain Dogs was not good and is possibly the quietest record I have ever owned. I have to crank it to almost 3 o clock for it to sound remotely good and need to crank the volume at least 4-5 clicks to match the OG in volume. Plus it sounds lifeless compared to the OG. Bone Machine was only OK, very similar to my original CD, but Black Rider and Frank’s were quite good. I compared Frank’s to my OG and they were quite similar, no comparison for Black Rider but it sounds good.

I can't. Coles notes?
US original - really bad sonically, trebble too high and can't be cranked
Japanese original - a bit better than the US but not great
Bellman Rhino - added a much needed bass boost and it's the first real good sounding copy he heard and became his go-to
Hi-Fidelity - a bit better than the CB cut, bass boosted and less hot than the CB. More clarity. Can be cranked. The CB is probably good enough for most, but this is going to be his go-to now.

And rants a lot about this idea of "artist intention".

US original - really bad sonically, trebble too high and can't be cranked
Japanese original - a bit better than the US but not great
Bellman Rhino - added a much needed bass boost and it's the first real good sounding copy he heard and became his go-to
Hi-Fidelity - a bit better than the CB cut, bass boosted and less hot than the CB. More clarity. Can be cranked. The CB is probably good enough for most, but this is going to be his go-to now.

And rants a lot about this idea of "artist intention".
For me the clarity and separation are done just enough to not make it sound artificial for the kind of music it is. The vocals are forward and the drums are recessed just a tad, but I don't mind that because it gives me more of an in the studio with them vibe. I had this on CD as a teenager, but am enjoying this so much more now. I think some of that is being in my 40s and it hitting me in a different way than it did then. But I suspect I'll be spinning this one a lot.

For me the clarity and separation are done just enough to not make it sound artificial for the kind of music it is. The vocals are forward and the drums are recessed just a tad, but I don't mind that because it gives me more of an in the studio with them vibe. I had this on CD as a teenager, but am enjoying this so much more now. I think some of that is being in my 40s and it hitting me in a different way than it did then. But I suspect I'll be spinning this one a lot.

Warner Canada has the release as Feb 2 so it'll be a while before I get mine, but looking forward to it.

Looks like MoFi's Joni Mitchell - Blue has hit the shelves (or soon will). Looking forward to reviews of this one.

Back