Definitive Audiophile pressings

I don’t want to dig back thru this thread…. What’s the best version to look for of CSNY Deja Vu? An original or the Cb reissue? Or something else?

The CB is excellent and I recommend it, there is a mid-70s Sam Feldman pressing (that can be tricky to find but it's usually not expensive) that is the best vintage pressing.

I've not heard the Classic Records pressing but audiophiles seem to rave over that one. I'm sure the AP Atlantic 75 release will probably beat them all if you can handle splitting it into 2 45 RPM discs.

The CB is excellent and I recommend it, there is a mid-70s Sam Feldman pressing (that can be tricky to find but it's usually not expensive) that is the best vintage pressing.

I've not heard the Classic Records pressing but audiophiles seem to rave over that one. I'm sure the AP Atlantic 75 release will probably beat them all if you can handle splitting it into 2 45 RPM discs.
My copy is a vintage CB.

Not aimed at you, but it astonishes me that music can be a contest to audiophiles. Why must one 'beat' another?

I have the Classic. It is superb. Moving on to other music is more rewarding than chasing some arbitrary grail.

On Deja Vu, I'm sure the recent 33 is just great. No one should hunt down the Classic thinking it is 'better', and Chad's 45 series will sound very audiophile but doubtful as authentic as the Classic or CB.

Not aimed at you, but it astonishes me that music can be a contest to audiophiles. Why must one 'beat' another?

I have the Classic. It is superb. Moving on to other music is more rewarding than chasing some arbitrary grail.

On Deja Vu, I'm sure the recent 33 is just great. No one should hunt down the Classic thinking it is 'better', and Chad's 45 series will sound very audiophile but doubtful as authentic as the Classic or CB.

Yeah, I consider it the curse of the audiophile — always wanting to find a better pressing.

Personally I've been tempted by newer pressings that are lauded as the "best yet" at times (depends on how much I love the album) but like you normally I stop once I have a version I'm satisfied with. I have yet to indulge on any of Atlantic 75s for this reason. Pretty dang happy with the copies of those albums that I already have.

Quick update on the new Craft OJCs - I wasn't super impressed with them out of the gate. The Prestige tapes are pretty cooked, and the fidelity just isn't there compared to Rudy's Blue Note sessions. That said, I'd listened to them on my StudioDeck. Took Miles Workin' for a spin on my Cliffwood through a StudioPhono with the mono switch engaged, and I'll be damned if it isn't an engaging listen. Vinyl's a fickle one!

Quick update on the new Craft OJCs - I wasn't super impressed with them out of the gate. The Prestige tapes are pretty cooked, and the fidelity just isn't there compared to Rudy's Blue Note sessions. That said, I'd listened to them on my StudioDeck. Took Miles Workin' for a spin on my Cliffwood through a StudioPhono with the mono switch engaged, and I'll be damned if it isn't an engaging listen. Vinyl's a fickle one!
So, you make a good point. The issue is whether the new OJC's come from ORIGINAL master tapes or analog tape copies. We know, for example, that the Miles original masters have been in poor condition for at least 15 years. So what is really the source?

I have no doubt it is analog, but also suspect multi-generational loss.

Being presumptuous posting in this thread, but I got a shipping notice from Music Direct and it’s available here:

Being presumptuous posting in this thread, but I got a shipping notice from Music Direct and it’s available here:
LOL - "sourced from the original master tapes" but there were no tapes. "PCM digital master to analog console" sure, in 1991, PCM was 16 bit so the "reference grade audiophile sound" is - well - 16/44 or maybe 16/48 digital.

Absolutely grabbing Marquee Moon that's a great pick! Anyone got coupon codes for US or Canada store??
Last time I tried and all coupon codes were excluded for the HiFi series. With that said, if anybody finds a working coupon code let me know too! I might grab crossings and these two new ones

Back