Definitive Audiophile pressings

Ric Ocasek was a pop genius. The Cars released 4 albums in 4 consecutive years to diminishing returns. Their debut self-titled album is better than most bands greatest hits. The subsequent 3 albums that followed are all quite good, just not as good as the album that immediately proceeded it. Then they took a bit of a break and came back with Heartbeat City which was much slicker than anything that had come before and fit well alongside many of their mid-80s contemporaries.

Ric also produced a ton of notable albums by the likes of Bad Brains, Weezer, Nada Surf, Guided By Voices, and No Doubt.

If you enjoy New Wave or Power Pop the Cars are a nice rabbit hole to tumble down.
Thanks. I’m really not a fan of the 80’s in general, that’s probably why I wasn’t curious (and that Candy-O cover put me off for some reason too). Listening to the S/T now. There’s some Talking Heads vibe (in the way the singer sings). It’s OK, not really my jam…
Also I recognize some of their songs (my best friends girl, moving in stereo…) probably from commercials/movies.

Edit: I weirdly recognize most of the songs, just didn’t know it was The Cars.
I def don’t need the record though haha.

Yeah, that’s always been the thing, the album I think only had 3 official singles but pretty much every song on the album has been popularized in one way or another over the past 45 years.
A probably-incomplete list of how/why someone might know some of the many Cars hits without knowing it was the Cars:

My Cars finally arrived after more than a month. Whoa! How is the noise floor so silent?? Sounds damn good. Really full and dynamic, Burt also balanced
Yea I was really surprised that Optimal did so well on this one. The smaller run must have made a difference maybe vs something like the BN Classic series?

Several people have been happy with the Doug Sax version.
I would say if anyone doesn't have one of the AP versions then this new one is a no-brainer grab.
yea the Doug Sax is wonderful. Got it from those weird Acoustic Sounds discogs sales a year or two ago. Think I paid the same price as the OJC. But I had some target rewards and ended up getting the OJC as well for $20.

yea the Doug Sax is wonderful. Got it from those weird Acoustic Sounds discogs sales a year or two ago. Think I paid the same price as the OJC. But I had some target rewards and ended up getting the OJC as well for $20.

I thought the OJC sounded fantastic. It's a great recording. I assume the Doug Sax is much better?

I got the new Miles Workin' OJC, which is great. As soon as I saw Waltz for Debby, I pre-ordered that along with Village Vanguard & MAL2. Unfortunately, Village Vanguard isn't due for release until Aug 25, so I think I have a long wait.

I thought the OJC sounded fantastic. It's a great recording. I assume the Doug Sax is much better?

I got the new Miles Workin' OJC, which is great. As soon as I saw Waltz for Debby, I pre-ordered that along with Village Vanguard & MAL2. Unfortunately, Village Vanguard isn't due for release until Aug 25, so I think I have a long wait.
Don’t have the new OJC yet but the AP smoked the old OJC I had.

Back