Definitive Audiophile pressings

So what's the definitive pressing of Mazzy Star's Tonight That I Might See? Is there one?
This is a tricky one. I think I have the latest reissue and it came in paper inners and has scuffs that affect play. But Plain pressings also usually suck. It’s an album that really needs to be quiet so I’d be interested in hearing what pressing is best too

I’m kinda tempted to get this one to compare…y’all know how I feel about KG. the one step has liner notes/essay and the box which is pretty useless haha. But it does sound incredible. Mine is absolutely dead quiet and really dynamic. Very nice/thick jacket. It’s Bernie Cut/AAA and would be kinda curious to see how the KG compares if anybody gets both. I might try to pick up the KG in a sale or something but i one I’ll listen to the bonus discs once and never touch them again. I have all the craft one steps for now and really like them.
I have a small scratch on side two that's audible for about 5-10 seconds. I guess I will place another order with Target and swap it out for the return. I don't want to lose the $50 purchase price from last sale.

I have a small scratch on side two that's audible for about 5-10 seconds. I guess I will place another order with Target and swap it out for the return. I don't want to lose the $50 purchase price from last sale.
I forget is the main disc AAA on the KG cut? I wanna say it is but haven’t looked up specs in awhile

So what's the definitive pressing of Mazzy Star's Tonight That I Might See? Is there one?
The CD from the year it was released is likely the best it'll sound.

The new vinyl repress is pretty horrible. My copy was loaded with sleeve scuffs and had a gash in the first track leading to a skip. I returned it. Absolutely atrocious.

Yes and they even put it in the text of the jacket.
Record companies are starting to catch on, it seems.
The other two disc are plangent stuff.
Yea Craft and some other companies seem to be listing the names of the people who cut them and some other specs on hype stickers. I’m a fan of it. Still confused why they did a 3LP alongside the one step but it’s great for us consumers to have the choice!

Yea Craft and some other companies seem to be listing the names of the people who cut them and some other specs on hype stickers. I’m a fan of it. Still confused why they did a 3LP alongside the one step but it’s great for us consumers to have the choice!
Yes it's like a left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
Strange reissue, but at $50 I am really happy.

The CD from the year it was released is likely the best it'll sound.

The new vinyl repress is pretty horrible. My copy was loaded with sleeve scuffs and had a gash in the first track leading to a skip. I returned it. Absolutely atrocious.
I would love to see proper reissues of that album and She Hangs Brightly.

Hey y'all, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Ignoring the very expensive Mofi and Speakers Corner pressings, what's the consensus? The current one seems to be pretty good? Doug Sax and Ludwig? Anyone got opinions?

Hey y'all, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Ignoring the very expensive Mofi and Speakers Corner pressings, what's the consensus? The current one seems to be pretty good? Doug Sax and Ludwig? Anyone got opinions?
I have the mofi. Had an OG before. The OG held up well. If I was looking, I’d look for an OG first

I think an OG would be great, again, with albums like this that were owned in abundance, finding a clean copy is always the challenge. I also have a 1980 pressing that sounds really good, but it has a skip in a couple places that wasn't visible. Got tired of looking for the OG and grabbed the 2014, more than happy with it.

I think an OG would be great, again, with albums like this that were owned in abundance, finding a clean copy is always the challenge. I also have a 1980 pressing that sounds really good, but it has a skip in a couple places that wasn't visible. Got tired of looking for the OG and grabbed the 2014, more than happy with it.
Yeah that was my thoughts really. Just a quick look and NM is like double the price of the Ludwig/Sax. I'd LOVE to hear the Speakers Corner but at $700 I think I'll hold off.

Haven't listened to the recent reissue but have heard it's decent. If you can find one in decent shape an original UK (one that appears wine red/translucent when held up to light) is hard to beat. Second place for me is the japanese pressing with catalogue number K18P-207/8. Sounds better than the earlier japanese pressing to my ears

Back