Definitive Audiophile pressings

Is there any noticeable difference between the Head Hunters AP 33 or 45?

Making my pre-price increase AS order and debating this one. Only the 45 is in stock, and with only four songs the inconvenience of the 45 seems to be minor for this album. But not sure if it’s worth waiting for the next 33 pressing.
I’d get the 45. There’s only four songs on the album so it works quite well actually. It sounds so damn good, one of the best in my collection.

I’m not a big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, but I bet Curtis Loew sounds great. Easily my favorite Skynyrd tune.

Growing up in South Carolina I was led to believe Lynyrd Skynyrd was the most popular classic rock band of all time. Turns out mostly just in the southeast, but good bluesy 70s rock and roll is always good stuff.

Growing up in South Carolina I was led to believe Lynyrd Skynyrd was the most popular classic rock band of all time. Turns out mostly just in the southeast, but good bluesy 70s rock and roll is always good stuff.
Always felt like it was an underrated genres elsewhere. Growing up in the Northeast as a kid, I used to think CCR was from the Deep South and didn’t know who Little Feat was until I was near 23. Southern boogie blues is great.

I’m big into the jamband scene and am always puzzled by the reception bands like Widespread Panic got outside of the South/West. IMO, they’re the best representation of that genre in the last 30 years but people up North still look down on it for some reason.

Actually, I suppose I should listen to the version of Surf's Up on the new 2LP Feel Flows I received recently before springing for the AP pressing. Man, I can't keep up with myself!
Well, that was disappointing. Some weird static-like noise throughout one of the tracks on the Surf's Up record, and its spindle hole is badly off center. Guess I'll find out what Popmarket's statute of limitations is on returning vinyl orders! Haha And the AP is looking better and better...

Well, that was disappointing. Some weird static-like noise throughout one of the tracks on the Surf's Up record, and its spindle hole is badly off center. Guess I'll find out what Popmarket's statute of limitations is on returning vinyl orders! Haha And the AP is looking better and better...
i got this pressing for around $20 and it's surprisingly good sounding:

i bought it before i saw that the AP was on backorder. it's not AAA but apparently the first time it was cut from the mixdown masters. all other vinyl releases were cut from 2nd generation tapes but they introduced a digital step to cut this one. that's why i will probably just sell this one once/if the AP comes in.

Last edited:
I’m not a big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, but I bet Curtis Loew sounds great. Easily my favorite Skynyrd tune.
thats the main reason i sprung for the 45. been obsessed with that song. growing up in the northeast, people always kinda made fun of Skynyrd but I've finally gone back to listen to some of their albums and they have some great songs. getting the Almost Famous soundtrack made me revisit them.

thats the main reason i sprung for the 45. been obsessed with that song. growing up in the northeast, people always kinda made fun of Skynyrd but I've finally gone back to listen to some of their albums and they have some great songs. getting the Almost Famous soundtrack made me revisit them.
I learned it from Phish covering it over the years. Never knew it before hearing their rendition and it’s definitely worth a listen.

dfd7f474-5155-f57f-2f2c-15c44cbcb17f.jpg
Lol had no idea and grappled an AP of the mono 45 Ella and Louis. 😀

It's still available and it's a great deal. In case anyone is interested, the copy I received fits this discogs listing perfectly:

According to this it was pressed at RTI and I can believe that because it sounds great, it's flat and it's quiet. At approximately $17 shipped, I'd suggest this is a no-brainer if you've been happy to pay $34-$50 and beyond for your jazz fix.

Amazon product ASIN B000000YIS
I also received the Oliver Nelson Verve Acoustic Sound Series album in the same shipment. Both records were individually packaged in tight cardboard mailers placed inside a larger box. There's something about just handling those AS records in their wrappers that's filled with anticipatory excitement.
I also just received this one and it's VERY nice. Looks to be the same one that @Russ I got. Has the RTI deadwax and sounds fantastic. Also just a really great session.

Back