Definitive Audiophile pressings

I feel like this is a mistake, but I ordered from Record City on the 24th and their out for delivery right now. The tracking info shows it in Japan on the 26th, in Indy early on the 27th, in Chicago later that day and out for delivery today.
Worst part of this is that you're going to find it wasn't a mistake! ;)

Any thoughts on the RSD release of Dr John's "Sun Moon and Herbs" compared to the Speakers Corner? The video game store near my office has the RSD for $54 CDN. I probably don't really need the extras, but other than driving into Toronto to get the SC version this might be easier to nab.

Any thoughts on the RSD release of Dr John's "Sun Moon and Herbs" compared to the Speakers Corner? The video game store near my office has the RSD for $54 CDN. I probably don't really need the extras, but other than driving into Toronto to get the SC version this might be easier to nab.
I can’t compare them bc I only have RSD. You’ve probably seen that someone on Discogs did a compare and thinks SC is better. My sense based on my other SC vinyl is that, yes, SC is probably better sounding. But the SC bar is very high in my experience, and the RSD sounds very good to my ears (and pressing itself is silent). More importantly, the extras are really good (IMO). It’s basically another Dr. John album of very good material. Not every extra is in that quality range, but across the two LPs, there is enough in that range to make it well worth it If you’re into Dr. John.

In short, I was in the same boat you’re in choosing between SC and RSD, and I went w/ RSD based on what I’d read about the extras, and I’m happy I did.

Ooh let me know how Slider is. I was hoping Slider would be a rocktober or SYEOR pressing soon, so I held out. But had one in my cart last time

Lol, I picked up a Slider in my order 2 days ago.

This one:

This may be my favorite Mingus album, and I had no idea there was a Speakers Corner pressing.

This may be my favorite Mingus album, and I had no idea there was a Speakers Corner pressing.
I have a George Piros cut OG that sounds pretty damn good. I need to spin it again but I’d be interested in getting the SC issue if anyone knows how it compares to the original?

I have a George Piros cut OG that sounds pretty damn good. I need to spin it again but I’d be interested in getting the SC issue if anyone knows how it compares to the original?
In case you need a nudge. 😉

had anyone ordered anything in VG+ from record city?

I had a listen to a few titles last night.

Beatles revolver was quite poor tbh, I did give it a clean but needle gets stuck in a groove. I don't have anything to compare it to but doesn't have much bass, If I were to get again I would pay the extra for the ODEON mono. I will give it another clean. (It was one of the AP Beatles pressings, over on that forum they are well regarded).

The Stones, Let it Bleed & Beggar Banquet were both VG+. Let it Bleed the vinyl was visibly dirty, gave it a clean there is some low level, quite crackling. I'll give it another clean, but the record itself is spectacular sounds fantastic. Similar with Beggars Banquet.

edit - while I'm at it I listened to Son of Schmilson & loved it great sound & great album. Definitely recommended.

Last edited:

Beatles revolver was quite poor tbh, I did give it a clean but needle gets stuck in a groove. I don't have anything to compare it to but doesn't have much bass, If I were to get again I would pay the extra for the ODEON mono. I will give it another clean. (It was one of the AP Beatles pressings, over on that forum they are well regarded).

The Stones, Let it Bleed & Beggar Banquet were both VG+. Let it Bleed the vinyl was visibly dirty, gave it a clean there is some low level, quite crackling. I'll give it another clean, but the record itself is spectacular sounds fantastic. Similar with Beggars Banquet.

edit - while I'm at it I listened to Son of Schmilson & loved it great sound & great album. Definitely recommended.
@RHANDMJ mentioned and warned some of these pressings can be bass shy.

@RHANDMJ mentioned and warned some of these pressings can be bass shy.

Yep, it's definitely the case with the Blondie LP in my previous order. Which is too bad because that one is so clean otherwise. I've got a second order on the way but I'm still gauging whether this path is for me in terms of sound and the amount of pops and clicks I can tolerate. I tried to do some research before ordering, but it's been mostly a gamble. It's fun though.

The only AP pressing I got in my order was Let It Be. I thought the audio itself was good, but the copy I got is too poppy and clicky for my tastes (it was graded EX, looks clean, but it's really just a clicky as the D1 of ATLiens if I'm being honest).

The only AP pressing I got in my order was Let It Be. I thought the audio itself was good, but the copy I got is too poppy and clicky for my tastes (it was graded EX, looks clean, but it's really just a clicky as the D1 of ATLiens if I'm being honest).
I can see being disappointed with the reputation of the dealer and trouble gone through to order overseas, but used and new vinyl will always be a imperfect but loved medium and sometimes I think that is forgotten or perhaps naive in the return it to the dealer/Amz for a perfect pressing era we are apparently in now.

Back