Definitive Audiophile pressings

So mine is 8122 on the outer sleeve but says R1 on the actual record label. Da fuq?
I believe that's the Optimal though, according to cogs it does say that on the label. My Optimal copy also shows that. But look, wait until I listen tomorrow before everyone PIFs their copies, maybe I'm just totally wrong!

My wife: hey, whats up? What are you reading?

Me: oh, hey. Yeah, so this Canadian online is saying....

My Wife: wait. what? A Canuck [pronounced canoooook]?

Me: yeah, yeah, just let me explain. Yes, this Canadian is saying he can hear the difference between two different pressings of Led Zeppelin II, now mind you this is the recent reissue mastered from digital files, pressed at two different pressing plants in Europe. Hey...wait, where you going? I'm not done with the story yet.

Pffff. She left. Didnt even get to the good part with the graphs yet!
Always lead off with the graph. That hooks them.

Yeah I got all excited and tried to tell my wife and I couldn't get past the bemused smirk. I just shrunk and shrunk as I tried to explain it. I'm like, 2 inches tall right now... it's embarrassing.
Whenever I am messing with something audio or computer related, e.g., swapping cartridges, I am referred to as "Tinker Tron 5000" and then my wife proceeds to make random robot/dial-up modem noises as I work (or as she puts it "tinker"). I will say I used to be Tinker Tron 3000, but apparently I got an upgrade over the years. Guess I'm more powerful now. :unsure:

Hello fellow psychopaths I have returned to regale you with my findings. Here is my in depth analysis of Pallas v Optimal Led Zep2Gate 2022.

Yeah they're different. (Allegedly)

Optimal does have further boosted highs especially noticeable in the high hats. (Allegedly).The high hats are kinda the star of the show on that pressing, in front of everything else. It's why I was finding both the box set and the Optimal tinny on my system. However that's just MY SYSTEM... the (allegedly) added high end might benefit a lot of systems too that aren't already a little bright. So if it sounds good on your system, then fuck it, it sounds good! I thought I noticed a few other little differences in some of the stereo panning/staging but I'm not so sure about that one. I have no idea why they'd be different but the runouts are different and someone had mentioned Pallas polishing stampers so perhaps the different stampers just account for it. I just find the Pallas to be a smoother less harsh sound overall.

So here we are. I... I guess I'm done now... What a wild ride this past.... 4 days have been.

-looks at 3 different Zep II pressings currently strewn across dining room table

Well, uh... thank God that's over with... now I can get back to.... real.... life... things.... hmph...

-slowly rising panic

HEY WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE MONO MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR ONLY FIVE PRESSINGS FROM GERMANY IN THE MID 70S ARE CORRECT MONO, YOU DON'T SAY? THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE VENTURE, TO THE DISCOGS!!

Hello fellow psychopaths I have returned to regale you with my findings. Here is my in depth analysis of Pallas v Optimal Led Zep2Gate 2022.

Optimal does have further boosted highs especially noticeable in the high hats. (Allegedly).The high hats are kinda the star of the show on that pressing, in front of everything else. It's why I was finding both the box set and the Optimal tinny on my system. However that's just MY SYSTEM... the (allegedly) added high end might benefit a lot of systems too that aren't already a little bright. So if it sounds good on your system, then fuck it, it sounds good! I thought I noticed a few other little differences in some of the stereo panning/staging but I'm not so sure about that one. I have no idea why they'd be different but the runouts are different and someone had mentioned Pallas polishing stampers so perhaps the different stampers just account for it. I just find the Pallas to be a smoother less harsh sound overall.

So here we are. I... I guess I'm done now... What a wild ride this past.... 4 days have been.

-looks at 3 different Zep II pressings currently strewn across dining room table

Well, uh... thank God that's over with... now I can get back to.... real.... life... things.... hmph...

-slowly rising panic

HEY WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE MONO MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR ONLY FIVE PRESSINGS FROM GERMANY IN THE MID 70S ARE CORRECT MONO, YOU DON'T SAY? THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE VENTURE, TO THE DISCOGS!!

Isn’t that the stereo? All the monos be mono? That was the standard commercial mix in the 60s…

-slowly rising panic

Would you mind rewriting your review using the hot stamper language we have all grown to love and understand?

Is the Pallas pressing "nearly white hot", "white hot", or "super white hot". Or dare I ask, are we talking "liquid magma red hot?" Can it melt stone?

Joking aside, glad you found your preferred copy!

Last edited:
Would you mind rewriting your review using the hot stamper language we have all grown to love and understand?

Is the Pallas pressing "nearly white hot", "white hot", or "super white hot". Or dare I ask, are we talking "liquid magma red hot?" Can it melt stone?

Joking aside, glad you found your preferred copy!
Dependent upon your credit card limit, $2K gets you a NEARLY white hot stamper pressed by the best at URP.

Dependent upon your credit card limit, $2K gets you a NEARLY white hot stamper pressed by the best at URP.

You're kidding... It's United?

I like this justification for the fact it's a bit of a noisy pressing ("the surfaces are mostly audible between tracks and in the quietest sections"). Um, isn't that how VG+ (at best) would be described? They rate it Mint Minus Minus.

"If you want to make the trade-off between bad sound and quiet surfaces with whatever Heavy Vinyl pressing might be available, well, that's certainly your prerogative, but we can't imagine losing what's good about this music -- the size, the energy, the presence, the clarity, the weight -- just to hear it with less background noise."

Back