Definitive Audiophile pressings

I would have loved to get the One Step but yeah splitting the album up is definitely not ideal. I’m hoping the KG cut comes close to that. I’ve never heard the standard issue MoFi but I have had original copies throughout the years as well as an 80’s reissue that sounded best to me. It’s also impossible to find NM OG Tamla pressings of Marvin Gaye.
If the KG sounds great, I may end up selling the One Step or trading it for something else.

I would have loved to get the One Step but yeah splitting the album up is definitely not ideal. I’m hoping the KG cut comes close to that. I’ve never heard the standard issue MoFi but I have had original copies throughout the years as well as an 80’s reissue that sounded best to me. It’s also impossible to find NM OG Tamla pressings of Marvin Gaye.

I heard the OG pressings weren't that great. Most early 70s motown were pretty poorly mastered and pressed apparently. The 80s John Matousek version is supposed to be the one to get besides the MoFis. I have the '87 Matousek repress (but not the super vinyl version) and it's good but I could see Kevin Gray really taking it up a level. Definitely am pumped to get this AAA Kevin Gray on 33 1/3 and not split up on 4 sides. Hopefully it's pressed at RTI or somewhere not terrible.

Very much hoping this is pressed somewhere good. I have been waiting on getting this one, didn't want to spend One Step money on it. This is about right for me. But I know it's gunna be GZ.

Also, $50 CAD for the standard 2 LP and $75 for the deluxe. The only thing that makes it "deluxe" is 3 photos. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME $25 FOR 3 PHOTOCOPIES?

Last edited:
Realizing today that I don't own a copy of Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Idk if this is the place to ask, but is there a definitive/good copy of it that I should seek? Bonus if it's still available for retail somewhere or attainable at a reasonable price at discogs.

Very much hoping this is pressed somewhere good. I have been waiting on getting this one, didn't want to spend One Step money on it. This is about right for me. But I know it's gunna be GZ.

Also, $50 CAD for the standard 2 LP and $75 for the deluxe. The only thing that makes it "deluxe" is 3 photos. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME $25 FOR 3 PHOTOCOPIES?
My money is on Optimal. Should we take bets? But it's so far away we'll have forgotten about it by then haha.

My money is on Optimal. Should we take bets? But it's so far away we'll have forgotten about it by then haha.
That sounds like a good bet. Optimal did The Rolling Stones Half Speeds.

Bottom line is there are gonna be a ton of these made. Enough that I am willing to bet I can pick up a copy at adiscount a few month down the road if they turn out to be excellent. No reason to rush in right now.

Last edited:
Realizing today that I don't own a copy of Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Idk if this is the place to ask, but is there a definitive/good copy of it that I should seek? Bonus if it's still available for retail somewhere or attainable at a reasonable price at discogs.
Oh man, im going to have to dig out some Nick Drake tomorrow now.

For what it's worth, I have the 2012 box set of Pink Moon that I managed to get really cheap second-hand ages ago. It's a great pressing but there is no real meat added to warrant a box set imo.

Back