Definitive Audiophile pressings

I was thinking of starting my Prine journey with the vulnerability of the Tree of Forgiveness LP and Crooked Piece of Time cd box, any thoughts on those other suggestions that are regularly available now appreciated ?
Most of his early catalogue has been reissued since his passing. I have the RSD “Atlantic Albums” box set which contains his first 4 LPs cut by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI, they were later reissued individually and can be picked up at a very reasonable price. Of those, his Self-Titled debut and Sweet Revenge are my favorites but they are all great. I also own OG copies of two of his Asylum albums, Bruised Orange and Pink Cadillac both of those are really good as well; Bruised Orange in particular is one of his best. Those were also recently repressed at Record Industry and cut by Kevin Gray.

I would start with these…

Amazon product ASIN B0875Z2W9R

Last edited:
@JohnnyCashFan also, knowing that you dig Steve Gunn and John Prine I am gonna use them as a gateway to introduce ya another one of my favorite modern acts, Kurt Vile. Steve Gunn was part of Vile’s touring band “The Violators” and they are kindred spirits from a style standpoint. Kurt Vile released an EP last year where he covered one John Prine song and and sang a duet with Prine on another.

check it out…

Amazon product ASIN B08JLHQKN4
If you dig Kurt Vile, hit me up and I can recommend you some of his albums as well. Seems like something you’d probably enjoy.

Last edited:
Most of his early catalogue has been reissued since his passing. I have the RSD “Atlantic Albums” box set which contains his first 4 LPs cut by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI, they were later reissued individually and can be picked up at a very reasonable price. Of those, his Self-Titled debut and Sweet Revenge are my favorites but they are all great. I also own OG copies of two of his Asylum albums, Bruised Orange and Pink Cadillac both of those are really good as well; Bruised Orange in particular is one of his best. Those were also recently repressed at Record Industry and cut by Kevin Gray.

I would start with these…

Amazon product ASIN B0875Z2W9R
@JohnnyCashFan this is a great list that TLK put together. I prefer the early stuff to the later but only because I know it better. Self-titled and Sweet Revenge are my two favorites. Prime Prine is somewhat of an early greatest hits collection too. They all have great reissues—self-titled and Sweet Revenge are KG and should be easy to find nearly anywhere I think and Prime Prine was a SYEOR reissue. I think Bernie Grundman cut that one and not sure what the sources were but it sounds great.

if you go down the route of liking his music, his live albums are also really good. He has so many good stories in between songs and is such a funny storyteller. I have the recent live box set from RSD which is John solo at the Other End in NYC (became the bitter end). There’s also the John Prine Live album that came out last year that’s great.

I was thinking of starting my Prine journey with the vulnerability of the Tree of Forgiveness LP and Crooked Piece of Time cd box, any thoughts on those and other suggestions that are regularly available now appreciated.

Tree of forgiveness is a great album, I'v not heard crooked Piece of Time yet, but tbh I don't think I've heard anything from Prine that is bad. The others have given great recommendations, but do give Tree of Forgiveness a listen.

I put in a pre-order at Music Direct. Hopefully the Something Else One Step will happen soon as well.
With the way the One Steps have been going...I'd be surprised if Somethin Else comes out by 2022 at this point. It's been rumored for 2 years or so now and random other One Steps like the Eagles keep leapfrogging it.

I have Somethin Else on preorder and am strongly considering From Elvis in Memphis but skipped out on the Eagles.

I love Nilsson Schmilsson, I don’t love Son of Schmilsson, but I do want to hear the MoFi. Pass for now even though I could probably just sell it if I decide not to keep it.
After seeing people freak out over Truth selling out, I don't doubt you could easily get the price back if you resold it...people are seeming to prefer opened resales now too since there have been some issues with Truth where some people got 2 of the same discs after they opened it up.

I’m listening to Allman Brothers and Sisters right and holy crap it’s amazing. If you are an Allman fan, it’s a must.
Southbound is up there as the best sounding thing I’ve heard in awhile
MoFi?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, just saw your post in the "Fresh Grabs" thread. Jeeezus! That's quite a haul of Allman!! Where in the world did you land those?

Back