Definitive Audiophile pressings

*When Mrs. MikeH opens the door for the delivery person*

tumblr_l7bjf4LLbb1qzaeks.gif
Me when my wife gets to the front door before I do

tenor.gif

A new US seller on Discogs put up a couple EU only Jenny Lewis singles the other day and had a marketish copy of Norah Jones' Live From Austin TX, and my inner NightMather struck to make a deal for the trio.

This live Norah is obscenely good. Like, I have a few Norah Jones AP pressings and several others and it just is streets ahead. KG pressing is genuinely sounds like I teleported back to when I saw her in 2007 or so. I'm sure it's no MoFi Harry but this is kinda blowing my mind right now.

A new US seller on Discogs put up a couple EU only Jenny Lewis singles the other day and had a marketish copy of Norah Jones' Live From Austin TX, and my inner NightMather struck to make a deal for the trio.

This live Norah is obscenely good. Like, I have a few Norah Jones AP pressings and several others and it just is streets ahead. KG pressing is genuinely sounds like I teleported back to when I saw her in 2007 or so. I'm sure it's no MoFi Harry but this is kinda blowing my mind right now.
ooh boom boom alert

tenor.gif

I missed the Dylan announcements, I wouldn't have posted if I'd seen that :)

Yeah I ended up getting the 2LP from my local and the 4LP Third Man Vault. As long as I don’t get customs bashed it’s €43 cheaper than the 5CD with only 4 of the tracks from that 57 track set missing. Still €110 is a substantial chunk out of what I’m able to spend on vinyl at any given time!

Yeah I ended up getting the 2LP from my local and the 4LP Third Man Vault. As long as I don’t get customs bashed it’s €43 cheaper than the 5CD with only 4 of the tracks from that 57 track set missing. Still €110 is a substantial chunk out of what I’m able to spend on vinyl at any given time!

There has definitely too many £100+ purchases recently, I'm definitely in the mood for a diet

There has definitely too many £100+ purchases recently, I'm definitely in the mood for a diet

Yeah! While I’m working from home it’s thankfully something I’ve not had to consider too seriously because my costs are way down. Come 2022 when I think I’ll be back in the rat race it’s definitely something that I’ll need to do!

Yeah! While I’m working from home it’s thankfully something I’ve not had to consider too seriously because my costs are way down. Come 2022 when I think I’ll be back in the rat race it’s definitely something that I’ll need to do!

My plan is to sort out my collection, trim it & sell a bunch and use that as a self contained vinyl fund. The only issue is, at this rate I'll be retired by the time a get my collection on cogs

My plan is to sort out my collection, trim it & sell a bunch and use that as a self contained vinyl fund. The only issue is, at this rate I'll be retired by the time a get my collection on cogs

Yeah I have that done phew! I’m a lazy bugger but once I finally get started on a job I find it had to stop until it’s done. I did my entire collection when it was at about 400 in one crazy 11 hour burst. Now it’s nearing 1000 I’m glad it’s already done because adding as you buy is almost a pleasure in comparison!

Space will slow me down soon enough. I have 3 and half Kallax cubes remaining (5 and half if I can find a new home for my singles and EPs) and little other room for new shelves in my apartment. I have sold a good amount of high value meh (mostly VMP) records in the past but tend to blow that money on grails (like mofi beatles) rather than as a general vinyl pot…

I missread this, I didn't realise the new vault was announced as Dylan. I'm very happy with that.

I have the Vault subscription, tbh a lot of the albums don't generally get a lot of plays (loved the Johnny Cash one) , but the $5 Tidal subscription made it very worthwhile, at least when I used to travel & commute.

I missread this, I didn't realise the new vault was announced as Dylan. I'm very happy with that.

I have the Vault subscription, tbh a lot of the albums don't generally get a lot of plays (loved the Johnny Cash one) , but the $5 Tidal subscription made it very worthwhile, at least when I used to travel & commute.

It is! It’s basically 42 tracks that aren’t on the standard 2LP Sony release.

Yeah my qobuz gets used a lot less now than when I used to travel. It’s only really now for testing new releases by artists I am not au fait with rather than back in the day when it was getting a good 2 and half to 3 hour work out while I was commuting!

Yeah I have that done phew! I’m a lazy bugger but once I finally get started on a job I find it had to stop until it’s done. I did my entire collection when it was at about 400 in one crazy 11 hour burst. Now it’s nearing 1000 I’m glad it’s already done because adding as you buy is almost a pleasure in comparison!

Space will slow me down soon enough. I have 3 and half Kallax cubes remaining (5 and half if I can find a new home for my singles and EPs) and little other room for new shelves in my apartment. I have sold a good amount of high value meh (mostly VMP) records in the past but tend to blow that money on grails (like mofi beatles) rather than as a general vinyl pot…

Yeah, I've completely run out of space but haven't cleared out or sold any records. I need to probably bin loads and definitely sell loads, clear out some space and create some funds for the grails. Your approach makes sense

Yeah, I've completely run out of space but haven't cleared out or sold any records. I need to probably bin loads and definitely sell loads, clear out some space and create some funds for the grails. Your approach makes sense

Honestly getting to a point where I realised it’s ok to not be keen on forum favourites, particularly when it came to the VMP classics was a real turning point. I bought far too much into collective hype with those records. That and realising that if you can get clean 70s/80s presses of older records they are both cheaper and sound better have been my big takes from the last year. I buy so much more used now that I ever used to!

I wasn’t a big fan before buying this…and now it’s one of my go to’s….it sounds sooo f ing good

Yes that guy really messes with 2x speed when he is on.

But i am 54yo and only so much time left in the world. I ... don't... want... to... waste.... it.... waiting.... for... his... next.... word. At least he doesn't use annoying sound and visual effects like a morning radio dj.
wait until you hit your 70's kids! ;)

Honestly getting to a point where I realised it’s ok to not be keen on forum favourites, particularly when it came to the VMP classics was a real turning point. I bought far too much into collective hype with those records. That and realising that if you can get clean 70s/80s presses of older records they are both cheaper and sound better have been my big takes from the last year. I buy so much more used now that I ever used to!
You are right, but it can be difficult getting clean older pressings these days (or new ones tbh).

I tend to get sucked in where I see it as a cheap purchase, if I'm getting an AP or MOFI for £50 I think it'll hold its value, so it feels like it's worth a punt. VMP has sucked me in a bit bit with the exchange rate it feels ok & I generally feel I could re-sell the VMP ones and get my money back. When my annual subscription ends, I can't see me staying unless they give another big discount though.

I know you're not into the jazz so much but that's another genre that has sucked me I the last year or so. In general there are so many great releases we have to be much more selective.

edit - I just love listening to great sounding records and want to buy far more than I need

Last edited:
You are right, but it can be difficult getting clean older pressings these days (or new ones tbh).

I tend to get sucked in where I see it as a cheap purchase, if I'm getting an AP or MOFI for £50 I think it'll hold its value, so it feels like it's worth a punt. VMP has sucked me in a bit bit with the exchange rate it feels ok & I generally feel I could re-sell the VMP ones and get my money back. When my annual subscription ends, I can't see me staying unless they give another big discount though.

I know you're not into the jazz so much but that's another genre that has sucked me I the last year or so. In general there are so many great releases we have to be much more selective.

Yeah I’m trying to be more disciplined in buying what I like rather than getting a good deal that holds its value. I’d rather pay over the odds for say a Supergrass record that isn’t worth what I paid for it in 2 years than to buy a jazz record that I listen to twice, forget, but ends up being worth 3 times what I paid for it!

What I find with used is that it’s worth buying mid/high in terms of its cogs listings for a genuine NM than it is buying lower down its price and settling on a VG+. I might not be getting the ultimate value buy but I rarely get a piece of shit and it’s still usually a decent amount less than a new copy unless it’s something rare or in demand. I’m also a regular digger in the used section in a few of my local haunts, I’ve them almost on notice to let me know if anything 70s to 90s Van Morrison comes in 😂

Last edited:
Yeah I’m trying to be more disciplined in buying what I like rather than getting a good deal that holds its valu
I think this is the thing I struggle with the most to be honest. Sometimes I look at the value of albums (especially if I'm just searching on eBay) instead of thinking about how often I'll actually spin that album. I used to be awful at that, then got better, now back to browsing ebay a lot.

Back