Definitive Audiophile pressings

HOLY SON OF A DICK this Neil Young Greatest Hits pressing is the fucking TRUTH.
Jesus.
This thing sounds like a One Step...

Goddamit.

GODDAMIT.

I DO NOT NEED ANYMORE NEIL YOUNG
I DO NEED MORE NEIL YOUNG FUUUUUUU

Yeah I’m yet to get a bad Neil Young pressing of anything. Whatever else one might think about him you can’t say he doesn’t care about sound quality!

Yeah, that one sounds phenomenal, It is a One step , all his others sound good, but not that good .
Jesus.

Goddamit.

GODDAMIT.

Apparently, when it first came out there was a thread on SH talking about it, same process as One Step they say. The songs Certainly sound better that on the Original album releases .and they sound pretty bloody good .
Is it really? Holy hell. I mean, yeah you come to expect a certain kinda crappy quality when it comes to any best of albums but this is next level.

EDIT: HOLY FUCK JUST GOT TO HELPLESS.

Jesus.

Goddamit.

GODDAMIT.

Which pressing is it? I mean I swore I draw the line at Great Hits compilations but with a review like this I might have to investigate

Yeah I know! The only one I’ve seen in Europe is Amazon U.K. for £66 (€77) ☹️ It is listed at $49.99 in the states!

At some point I’m going to have play the customs lottery to get some stuff out of music direct so I might just add it to the pile and potentially pay a larger customs fee but just one brokerage fee!

Apparently, when it first came out there was a thread on SH talking about it, same process as One Step they say. The songs Certainly sound better that on the Original album releases .and they sound pretty bloody good .
Only the Classic versions are ”one-steps” by RTI. All the represses are still using a similar CB mastering but use the standard three-step process. It still sounds phenomenal, but after hearing how good the repress sounds I found a Classic and it is my top 5 demo discs (above Abraxas one-step).

Jesus.

Goddamit.

GODDAMIT.

Nightmather, it's nice to meet you finally! :D

Last edited:
Jesus.

Goddamit.

GODDAMIT.

So you’re saying after I just sold 5 early pressings of Neil Young albums for not listening to them enough, I should buy this?

So you’re saying after I just sold 5 early pressings of Neil Young albums for not listening to them enough, I should buy this?
2 am post 6 bourbon sours me says yes.

Morning me says no.

But honestly it's pretty much a perfect greatest hits in terms of it sounds as good if not better than most of his individual album pressings. So if you feel like you should own his big hits (yes) but don't feel like you need all his albums (also yes) then this is a pretty perfect solution.

2 am post 6 bourbon sours me says yes.

Morning me says no.

But honestly it's pretty much a perfect greatest hits in terms of it sounds as good if not better than most of his individual album pressings. So if you feel like you should own his big hits (yes) but don't feel like you need all his albums (also yes) then this is a pretty perfect solution.
Kinda where I’m at with NY. Had this comp on CD as a kid and loved all these songs, but could never get into the full studio albums of his. Live stuff I’m into - Roxy: Tonight’s the Night Live is one of my favorite live albums

Last edited:
It was my high school band, like literally THE high school band. I played drums. I smoked weed for the first time ever right before I went on stage. I can assure you that if you wanted to come up with a worst time ever to smoke weed for the first time. Going on stage in front of thousands of people in grade nine would be VERY high on that list. I was probably playing at like half speed the whole time, I have no idea.
ah yes the classic "why does this punk band have a reggea drummer" moment

This one comes with a bit of a story.
9BF5206F-11DD-49FA-A217-15F0A0FC375C.jpeg

I have a sickness. I have lost track of the number of copies of this album I have purchased over the years, chasing the perfect sound in my memory. It’s an addiction, like chasing the feeling of the first high.

Growing up my best friend was Brian. His older brother Ken was a surrogate older brother for me, especially in music. Introduced me to so much music in the late 70s and early 80s, even taking me and Brian to see Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour in 1983.

It probably would have been in 1980 that he took me and Brian with him and his buddies to see The Who’s “The Kids Are Alright” at the movie theatre. I was totally blown away by the band and the movie. I couldn’t stop talking about it, especially Baba O’Riley and Won’t Get Fooled Again. When we got back to their place he sat us down with his copy of Who’s Next. I still remember the perfection of the sound of Won’t Get Fooled Again coming through the giant Mission speakers in Ken’s bedroom.

But every copy of the record I have owned has lacked something, especially in Won’t Get Fooled Again. Some parts are right but others are lacking. Some copies the attack on Moon’s drums are killer, but his cymbals are washed out. On others Entwistle’s bass punches you in the gut and other copies it is just a low end rumble. Sometimes Roger’s voice is too thin and lacking the growl. Pete’s guitar usually always sounds great.

The Who were notorious for not giving a toss for the sound quality, often leaving final mixing up to others. And it it very evident in Who’s Next with so many copies sounding so different from each other.

Then a couple of weeks ago I came across a video comparing several versions of the album, including the MOV version. I had a $25 Amazon gift card so I decided to take a chance on it, even though it is definitely a digital copy (most people believe is is the same mastering as the 2010 Japanese SACD). Well, its not perfect but damn close to version that is in my head (95%?). I hope this is the end of my endless chasing of that original high

The copies I have owned back to about 2008-10
  • UK W-1 OG 1971 - bass was totally lacking, just some low end rumble
  • UK 1974 BilBo remaster - instruments were great but Daltrey’s voice was thin as a reed.
  • 1980 US MCA promo copy sealed - drums sounded like wet cardboard boxes
  • 2015 both the US and EU pressings - the US was terrible, but the EU (pressed at MPO) was pretty good but the cymbals just sounded way too thin and brittle.

Attachments

• 86A0019E-925F-4F8B-A1B2-DF1770DD31BB.jpeg
    86A0019E-925F-4F8B-A1B2-DF1770DD31BB.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2
This one comes with a bit of a story.
View attachment 106004

I have a sickness. I have lost track of the number of copies of this album I have purchased over the years, chasing the perfect sound in my memory. It’s an addiction, like chasing the feeling of the first high.

Growing up my best friend was Brian. His older brother Ken was a surrogate older brother for me, especially in music. Introduced me to so much music in the late 70s and early 80s, even taking me and Brian to see Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour in 1983.

It probably would have been in 1980 that he took me and Brian with him and his buddies to see The Who’s “The Kids Are Alright” at the movie theatre. I was totally blown away by the band and the movie. I couldn’t stop talking about it, especially Baba O’Riley and Won’t Get Fooled Again. When we got back to their place he sat us down with his copy of Who’s Next. I still remember the perfection of the sound of Won’t Get Fooled Again coming through the giant Mission speakers in Ken’s bedroom.

But every copy of the record I have owned has lacked something, especially in Won’t Get Fooled Again. Some parts are right but others are lacking. Some copies the attack on Moon’s drums are killer, but his cymbals are washed out. On others Entwistle’s bass punches you in the gut and other copies it is just a low end rumble. Sometimes Roger’s voice is too thin and lacking the growl. Pete’s guitar usually always sounds great.

The Who were notorious for not giving a toss for the sound quality, often leaving final mixing up to others. And it it very evident in Who’s Next with so many copies sounding so different from each other.

Then a couple of weeks ago I came across a video comparing several versions of the album, including the MOV version. I had a $25 Amazon gift card so I decided to take a chance on it, even though it is definitely a digital copy (most people believe is is the same mastering as the 2010 Japanese SACD). Well, its not perfect but damn close to version that is in my head (95%?). I hope this is the end of my endless chasing of that original high

The copies I have owned back to about 2008-10
  • UK W-1 OG 1971 - bass was totally lacking, just some low end rumble
  • UK 1974 BilBo remaster - instruments were great but Daltrey’s voice was thin as a reed.
  • 1980 US MCA promo copy sealed - drums sounded like wet cardboard boxes
  • 2015 both the US and EU pressings - the US was terrible, but the EU (pressed at MPO) was pretty good but the cymbals just sounded way too thin and brittle.
Awesome! Great that your obsession has paid off!! 😜

Back