Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yeah I hadn’t listen to it in a while before listening to the vinyl, so didn’t remember how it sounded. I listened to it on spotify after, and yes the recording is not great, it is just enhanced on the vinyl, barely listenable for me. The rest of the 2LP is great though.

MoFi has put up their whole archive/OOP discography on their site now. I think even some things that were never released for one reason or another are on there:

As for what KG said, I think he said that he'd rather use a high-res digital master than a copy of a copy tape. His overall point was that digital doesn't automatically = bad. More and more older recordings will be transferred to digital high res to preserve the tapes and as long as someone like KG is doing the cutting, I know it can still sound great.
As always, if it's done right, digital sounds amazing. I think the part that a lot of people get stuck in their throats is vinyl from digital, why not just buy digital? Completely different discussion ;)

Give me the "best sounding" and I'll be happy regardless of source.

It seems there's been a lot of mention here of Louis and Ella, so this might be of interest to someone:

Acoustic Sounds is listing a bunch of Speakers Corners albums on their discogs, and prices seem quite fair. Please help to save me from myself (already purchased two of them!) and check it out:

EDIT: @MikeH 🍻

It seems there's been a lot of mention here for Louis and Ella, so this might be of interest to someone:

Acoustic Sounds is listing a bunch of Speakers Corners albums on their discogs, and prices seem quite fair. Please help to save me from myself (already purchased two of them!) and check it out:

Great week to be broke :)

I start to suspect people on this thread must be working for MoFi or AS, always tempting us with links...
All kidding aside, restraint is a difficult thing and let's not even talk about FOMO, lol.

Just a small side-bar to all of this, I'm about 17 albums from concluding my complete collection play through and I would recommend everyone do this at some point and time, it takes quite a while, this took me 17 months to complete, but some of the positives that came from it were not alone a pretty ample purge of albums that have fallen from grace or were impulse buys, but also albums needing to be upgraded.

But most of all, I came to realize that I don't enjoy listening to poor pressings AT ALL, but "great" pressings don't have to be from MoFi and or AP.........which is why I appreciate this thread. I know I'm in the minority here, but the "Quality over Quantity" mantra has curbed my spending leaving more cash for grails and better albums :)

Last edited:
But most of all, I've come to realize that I don't enjoy listening to poor pressings AT ALL, but "great" pressings don't have to be from MoFi and or AP.........which is why I appreciate this thread. I know I'm in the minority here, but the "Quality over Quantity" mantra has curbed my spending leaving more cash for grails and better albums :)
Funny, I've realized the same over the past few months, and my vinyl purchases are focused on top pressings, and I'm selling or trading in older stuff that doesn't fit the bill.

It seems there's been a lot of mention here of Louis and Ella, so this might be of interest to someone:

I hate this thread...been eyeing Forrest Gump for awhile ..add another boom boom to my collection

All kidding aside, restraint is a difficult thing and let's not even talk about FOMO, lol.

Just a small side-bar to all of this, I'm about 17 albums from concluding my complete collection play through and I would recommend everyone do this at some point and time, it takes quite a while, this took me 17 months to complete, but some of the positives that came from it were not alone a pretty ample purge of albums that have fallen from grace or were impulse buys, but also albums needing to be upgraded.

But most of all, I've come to realize that I don't enjoy listening to poor pressings AT ALL, but "great" pressings don't have to be from MoFi and or AP.........which is why I appreciate this thread. I know I'm in the minority here, but the "Quality over Quantity" mantra has curbed my spending leaving more cash for grails and better albums :)
Makes good sense! Maybe we (and by that, I mean you ;)) should start a new thread for "Definitive Non-Audiophile Pressings" so we all will know what to cull from our collections. Just think of the amount of work you could save us!!

Last edited:
Here's a lead for Lou Reed fans. The 1980 'Best Buy Series' reissue of Rock N Roll Animal sounds fantastic and can be purchased for under $20 in NM- based on what I'm seeing on Discogs. https://www.discogs.com/Lou-Reed-Rock-N-Roll-Animal/release/1866963

I would argue this album has THE definitive version of Sweet Jane, and it's definitely a cut that suits my avatar! I recently vacuum cleaned this record and just listened to the first side. Sounds at least as good as the Boom Boom Electric Warrior that has had so much attention here, because the Reed album isn't cut hot. And if you love screaming guitars.....

I ordered this today after I discovered the vinyl is AAA and that it supposedly sounds pretty good and there haven't been many pressing issues reported even though it was pressed at United. Figured it beats trying to find a MoFi version (or wait for a MoFi repress):

Anyone else have this box?

I ordered this today after I discovered the vinyl is AAA and that it supposedly sounds pretty good and there haven't been many pressing issues reported even though it was pressed at United. Figured it beats trying to find a MoFi version (or wait for a MoFi repress):

Anyone else have this box?
didn't even know this was a thing! I have a first pressing in pretty good condition so haven't seeked to upgrade but let us know how this one sounds!

Back