Definitive Audiophile pressings

That seems odd since both releases come from Rhino.
Places play fast and loose with “original masters“. Just look at the new Acoustic Sounds x Verve series. They keep doubling down on A Love Supreme being from the original masters but most people admit that the originals are long lost. They can still be AAA though even if they are from dubbed tapes and we know that KG can make things sound amazing even from digital masters.

The Monk's dream one-step is 'cheap' in the UK at the minute. I'm not convinced that it would be any better than the Impex KG release. I might just go for the Impex one.

I like the Monk’s Dream One Step but I think I’d agree with you—a KG Impex cut might be similar enough quality-wise. The Blood on The Tracks one step is the biggest difference for me out of the few One Steps I have (it’s also probably my favorite album out of the released One Steps so far).

I like the Monk’s Dream One Step but I think I’d agree with you—a KG Impex cut might be similar enough quality-wise. The Blood on The Tracks one step is the biggest difference for me out of the few One Steps I have (it’s also probably my favorite album out of the released One Steps so far).

If I could get a copy of Blood on the Tracks at a reasonable price I would. I just can't justify the inflated prices it goes for in the UK. I should have picked it up when it was widely available. The same goes for the Bill Evans, I saw on offer on both of them but still passed.

I've just pre-ordered the Mingus from Deep Discount, so I'll find out for myself how good they are.

I'll probably also pick up somethin' else when it comes out, but I can't see it being any better than the AP one. but it's a special record.

If I could get a copy of Blood on the Tracks at a reasonable price I would. I just can't justify the inflated prices it goes for in the UK. I should have picked it up when it was widely available. The same goes for the Bill Evans, I saw on offer on both of them but still passed.

I've just pre-ordered the Mingus from Deep Discount, so I'll find out for myself how good they are.

I'll probably also pick up somethin' else when it comes out, but I can't see it being any better than the AP one. but it's a special record.
I really wish I had gotten both of the Evans. Those are WAY above my price range now. I have BOTT, Yes -Fragile and Monk. I found Marvin Gaye last week for a decent price online (above retail but close and way below current asking) and I also have Mingus on preorder. I have the AP of Somethin Else and will probably stick with that or sell that to finance the One Step.

I really wish I had gotten both of the Evans. Those are WAY above my price range now. I have BOTT, Yes -Fragile and Monk. I found Marvin Gaye last week for a decent price online (above retail but close and way below current asking) and I also have Mingus on preorder. I have the AP of Somethin Else and will probably stick with that or sell that to finance the One Step.

Sounds like you've done well. I'm planning on doing something similar with somethin else. I think I'll get the one-step & keep the best & sell most of the other copies I have. I have about 5 versions of somethin else.

Places play fast and loose with “original masters“. Just look at the new Acoustic Sounds x Verve series. They keep doubling down on A Love Supreme being from the original masters but most people admit that the originals are long lost. They can still be AAA though even if they are from dubbed tapes and we know that KG can make things sound amazing even from digital masters.
If I recall correctly, they have masters of the first day of recordings (Which is the album), there are only copies of the second day with the expanded quartet.

If I recall correctly, they have masters of the first day of recordings (Which is the album), there are only copies of the second day with the expanded quartet.

There was a small thread on Analog Planet about this, Michael Fremer had this to say:

'at some time in the 1970s, ABC made a one off the master copy fearing that the original might be shedding oxide or whatever, and that it then threw away the master (insane but it was the '70s). So this one off the master became the master that's now being used. Since many, many "original pressings" from the 60s and 70s were sourced from a "running master" or an "EQ'd copy" or a 3-2 mix down, I feel calling this tape a "master tape" is acceptable.'

There was a small thread on Analog Planet about this, Michael Fremer had this to say:

'at some time in the 1970s, ABC made a one off the master copy fearing that the original might be shedding oxide or whatever, and that it then threw away the master (insane but it was the '70s). So this one off the master became the master that's now being used. Since many, many "original pressings" from the 60s and 70s were sourced from a "running master" or an "EQ'd copy" or a 3-2 mix down, I feel calling this tape a "master tape" is acceptable.'
Theres a video somewhere on youtube where he talks about this. I binged a lot of his videos lately so im not exactly sure which one it is, but its definitely on there somewhere and expands on what you quoted above.

On a side-note, I recently picked up the 1956 club edition pressing of A Love Supreme. This was pressed at Capitol's plant in Scranton PA (no VG stamp). My other copy is a VG stamped 1968 mono pressing and I always thought this to be a fantastic pressing, so much so that I never actively looked for an upgrade. When I saw the Club Edition for sale I did a bit of research and while there are mixed reviews, the majority were great and Steve Hoffman even claimed it to be the best pressing at one point. Have to admit that I'm blown away by the pressing quality, it's stunningly good. Quite surprising considering Van Gelder wasn't involved, but fantastic all the same.

Theres a video somewhere on youtube where he talks about this. I binged a lot of his videos lately so im not exactly sure which one it is, but its definitely on there somewhere and expands on what you quoted above.

On a side-note, I recently picked up the 1956 club edition pressing of A Love Supreme. This was pressed at Capitol's plant in Scranton PA (no VG stamp). My other copy is a VG stamped 1968 mono pressing and I always thought this to be a fantastic pressing, so much so that I never actively looked for an upgrade. When I saw the Club Edition for sale I did a bit of research and while there are mixed reviews, the majority were great and Steve Hoffman even claimed it to be the best pressing at one point. Have to admit that I'm blown away by the pressing quality, it's stunningly good. Quite surprising considering Van Gelder wasn't involved, but fantastic all the same.
Is that the one with the alternate cover? Hoffman raves about that one too I think as a cheaper alternative that sounds great.

The supposedly best copy was found in the vaults at EMI in London in the early 2000s. I think Hoffman has said (as did Ashley Kahn, one of the foremost experts on Coltrane) that the original tapes do not exist anymore and I'm not sure ANY early pressings outside of maybe the 1st actually used master tapes.

The supposedly best copy was found in the vaults at EMI in London in the early 2000s. I think Hoffman has said (as did Ashley Kahn, one of the foremost experts on Coltrane) that the original tapes do not exist anymore and I'm not sure ANY early pressings outside of maybe the 1st actually used master tapes.
I'm looking forward to this Getz and Coltrane and Nina's ALMOST more than anything else this year. If these are as good as some people are saying this is a very good thing for us vinyl folks.

Last edited:
My Amazon pre-order is now showing no release date on A Love Supreme

I'm looking forward to this Getz and Coltrane and Nina's ALMOST more than anything else this year. If these are as good as some people are saying this is a very good thing for us vinyl folks.
Was your Pre-order through amazon.ca? I’ve seen people saying that a lot of records from the US (Blue Note reissues and others) are delayed a lot to amazon in Canada...

Was your Pre-order through amazon.ca? I’ve seen people saying that a lot of records from the US (Blue Note reissues and others) are delayed a lot to amazon in Canada...
Yep it was. Not even showing a release date right now. But either it'll show up, or I'll just get it from my local. I doubt these will be hard to come by.

Yep it was. Not even showing a release date right now. But either it'll show up, or I'll just get it from my local. I doubt these will be hard to come by.
Yea I think it may just be an import delay or something, and not anything like the Monk release. They should be similar in availability to the Tone Poets I would imagine.

Yeah
Yea I think it may just be an import delay or something, and not anything like the Monk release. They should be similar in availability to the Tone Poets I would imagine.
That's exactly what I was figuring. My local has the Getz right now actually But it's not actually "local" so getting there is a bitch.

Yup the Amazon.ca supply logistics are still a mess. My Blue Note and Verve reissues have been pushed and they sent me an email saying that they are not sure when they will be arriving, but they did not cancel them.

On a side note, Amazon.ca has messed with their Product Details on vinyl. I rarely see a release date anymore. Going to make it pretty hard to figure out what pressing a title is unless it is a pre-order.

Yup the Amazon.ca supply logistics are still a mess. My Blue Note and Verve reissues have been pushed and they sent me an email saying that they are not sure when they will be arriving, but they did not cancel them.

On a side note, Amazon.ca has messed with their Product Details on vinyl. I rarely see a release date anymore. Going to make it pretty hard to figure out what pressing a title is unless it is a pre-order.
And just seconds after I posted this I got another update email from Amazon.ca saying my next TP and the Verve reissues should be here Sept 9 @Mather

Back