Definitive Audiophile pressings

Really pains me to say this as I disagree with their blatant manufactured scarcity policy BUT the 12on12 "Swizz Beatz – Long Live Jazz" sounds fantastic.

I played it for the first time this weekend and was blown away by the quality of the sound. Really dynamic, punchy drums, and clear bass. It might just be one of the better sounding records in my collection (I need to give it another proper listen to confirm).

I picked up the Swizz Beats and the Smiley when they came up in the VMP swaps and glad I did. Would I pay the $113 and $173 prices they had them listed at (madness).....no. But if it comes up in the VMP swaps again, I recommend it!

Obsessions are a part of life that make our time on this earthly plane more interesting and rewarding. Being entirely rational isn’t really a part of the game we play here at N&G and reality is in our heads. Give in to the passion!
With that thought in mind, I am considering selling my Rega P10 ‘table in the pursuit of something greater, a supertable if you will. Why would I sell a Stereophile Class A rated turntable? Because Rega is coming out with a production version of their reach for the sky handmade Naiad that only 40 copies have been produced so far. At a something of a real world price for their upcoming Naia. Irrational? Possibly but hey, life is for living, sometimes on the edge. My wife hasn’t killed me yet. That’s the true endgame. 😎

Haha! Thank you for that dose of reality. Passion, indeed. Sounds like an awesome opportunity with the Naia. You know we'll expect photos and a full report.
All valid and true points. It's true, trying to find "logic/consistency" in all of this is next to impossible, my one saving grace is that I'm more than happy where I've ended up with my gear, the big pieces especially. My foolishness put into my head that once I had the system where I wanted it I could just concentrate on buying albums, simple enough? Not so much, lol, as we've discussed.

I love the chase, but I don't know if it's my area, or my luck, especially on Cogs, but I've kind of hit a wall with finding decent condition copies of whatever, if you've noticed my declining purchase numbers in our other thread, it's not for lack of trying. Is my bar set too high? I sure hope not. Anyway all in all I enjoy the hobby, CD replacements are kind of like taking Advil, they're there to ease the pain for a while, lol.

I'll have to look into those Aja pressings and see if I get lucky, again, it was a rant and a real reflection for how I feel about all of this, but to @OMC's point, obsession are a part of the deal ;)

So I mailed the seller just to ask if he could confirm that it is the Piros pressing that he had it listed as, asked him to check the deadwax, he said he can't tell. I think he's like 100 years old. Now you see why I say it might be interesting.
I've had this kind of thing go both ways. I got a Beatles Mono reissue for $80 last year. Pics matched and everything. Got sent a super beat up old common stereo pressing in a giant box with some rolled up paper towel. I've also gotten Music Matters reissues at original cost from a guy who listed it incorrectly as the price he PAID not the price he wanted to sell at but he honored the prices haha.

which one will Mather end up with?

I've had this kind of thing go both ways. I got a Beatles Mono reissue for $80 last year. Pics matched and everything. Got sent a super beat up old common stereo pressing in a giant box with some rolled up paper towel. I've also gotten Music Matters reissues at original cost from a guy who listed it incorrectly as the price he PAID not the price he wanted to sell at but he honored the prices haha.

which one will Mather end up with?
I mean if he literally can't read the deadwax then it's clearly just "a copy from 77“... maybe, not the one he sold it as. But they're almost all Piros as long as it's US so it SHOULD be fine.

This is going to be a disaster.

Back